WTF President : "New uniforms will further promote taekwondo"

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 63-year-old Choue and the World Taekwondo Federation (WTF) have worked on introducing the new uniforms, to replace the existing “gyorugi” ones at the World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships starting on July 29 in Vladivostok, Russia.

“This will be the first time the athletes will wear the new poomsae uniforms from the WTF, and it will be a meaningful event,” Choue said.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/sports/2011/07/136_91429.html

Thought the article might be of interest to some on here...

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so, I will have to put on 1 uniform for Poomse, then run to the back, change uniforms and get ready for sparring? Yeah, I dont se this catching on anytime soon at the lower levels. maybe at a world championships, but not anytime oon elsewhere.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not see this as an way of making TKD any better. What we need is a better and up to date curriculum, better support and more training sessions. As far as uniform man could they be any worst than what they picked as a way of improving TKD.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wh... How would Uniforms promote a Martial Art? I mean, i got a new Uniform recently made of tougher material, and i like it. But it hasnt improved my opinion of the whole Martial Art!

I guess it might be visually pleasing, though :p

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
so, I will have to put on 1 uniform for Poomse, then run to the back, change uniforms and get ready for sparring? Yeah, I dont se this catching on anytime soon at the lower levels. maybe at a world championships, but not anytime oon elsewhere.
Many do this already. I know that most of the schools and athletes that I know that do both Poomsae and fighting already use 2 different unis. The Poomsae uni is a little heavier and crisper for snap and pop, and the Sparring uni is always lighter and a bit losser.

However most top level athletes only do one or the other anyway. So only Poomsae or only Sparring. The top competitiors never do both.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Packaging vs. substance
To me this is visuals rather than something that matters. Terry, I understand your idea about working on curriculum, but if WTF can't get people to go along with a change in packaging, how much harder would it be to get people to go along with a change in curriculum? Leadership earns respect by doing things that make a positive difference--it builds their credibility. For Kukkiwon or WTF to increase their credibility (same issue w/ USAT), they would need to do something that has a real and positive impact at the school and student level.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
DJinx said:
Happens all the time in sport karate tournaments. Heck I change uniforms at least twice for my divisions. :) One for traditional forms, one for weapons and one for sparring. Used to have one for creative forms as well.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So after July 29, where can we pick them up? My wife is still over there and if they will be easily accessible, I will ask her to pick one up for the US Open Hanmadang. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Packaging vs. substance
To me this is visuals rather than something that matters. Terry, I understand your idea about working on curriculum, but if WTF can't get people to go along with a change in packaging, how much harder would it be to get people to go along with a change in curriculum? Leadership earns respect by doing things that make a positive difference--it builds their credibility. For Kukkiwon or WTF to increase their credibility (same issue w/ USAT), they would need to do something that has a real and positive impact at the school and student level.[/QUOTE

Student Carl I understand and when they demand it for all competitors I will follow just like always. I am not please or agree with this but sometime we must just do as they say if we belong to that org.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you guys are curious to what its look like, here is the site: http://jcalicu.com/index.files/Page381.htm

For the sake of confusion, all of the World Poomsae competitors for this year will be wearing the Gold top/Blue pants for this year. It will be free for us. I will be wearing one for the 6th World Poomsae Competition. I am curious on how I would look. Hmmm....

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you guys are curious to what its look like, here is the site: http://jcalicu.com/index.files/Page381.htm

There was a discussion thread about it recently on here, so we're all aware of the look and the debate was quite heated (do a quick search for it if you're interested).

For the sake of confusion, all of the World Poomsae competitors for this year will be wearing the Gold top/Blue pants for this year. It will be free for us. I will be wearing one for the 6th World Poomsae Competition. I am curious on how I would look. Hmmm....

Post a picture on here so we can see a real one (rather than on a model) :)

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
These are different than the ones we were discussing earlier? How come the change? Did they decide no one wanted to put on something that their grandma would have worn?

There was a discussion thread about it recently on here, so we're all aware of the look and the debate was quite heated (do a quick search for it if you're interested).

Post a picture on here so we can see a real one (rather than on a model) :)

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
From my respective (and I being a Korean-American), I like the way they look because they are similar to Korea's traditional clothes. Whether it is practical or not...I guess we shall see after the Poomsae competition. But I like the look of the uniforms if the purpose of them were similar to "ceremonial" uniforms (e.g. ATA masters have ceremonial uniforms...but they can perform in them as well). Other than that, based on an initial look, I don't think I would like to wear them as workout uniforms or while practicing poomsae.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan. I don't like the look but it goes far beyond that, I don't like what it means.

Becoming "more Korean" as the WTF puts it is nothing other than bowing to pressure from groups who will never be a part of the WTF anyway. Especially the midnight blue belt. Trying to look more like Tang Soo Do will not impress the TSD people because they don't actually care what we do beyond a passing remark and looking more like Tang Soo Do will alienate the people like myself who, for some insane reason, have thought we were part of a TaeKwonDo organization.

In my opinion we need to stand as KKW TaeKwonDoin, not as Korean, or American, or anything else. TKD is its own identity.

Again, I am proud to be a KKW member but I feel part of my responsibility is to be informed and have my own feelings on big changes like this.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Happens all the time in sport karate tournaments. Heck I change uniforms at least twice for my divisions. :) One for traditional forms, one for weapons and one for sparring. Used to have one for creative forms as well.

I change my Judo gi's in Shiai...but that's because I'm told to. Interesting about a different uniform for poomsae/kata/forms.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mo money, mo money! They look silly, period.

the master one looks like a startrek uni....or a cross between a trekkie and starwars....

what are the vests for? (they do look kinda nice....but somewhat out of place...)