WSL methods video

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a person is good he/she can control the power of the strike and still send a message-depending on the context.
Judo people get injured too- a friend of mine who was top ranked in two countries had broken bones
and a partly paralyzed side of the face.

Judo is one of the most injurious sports in existence. Bjj is much kinder to the body. I would only suggest beginning judo to children, teens and sub 25yr adults. Any later and you are very unlikely to get good at it and you will probably hurt yourself badly. Likely to do more harm than good. It is a young person's martial art.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I distinctly remember someone writing that there is no Tan Da in WSLVT.

What taan-da is to you, no, there is not.

View attachment 20016
C'mon LFJ do you really need to always come across so mean? We all use our "tools" in different ways, why is that so hard for you to accept?

Me?

KPM's always trying to prove something about a system he knows nothing about.

Not only is he unaccepting of what he's told by those who know it, he's too proud to even ask what he's looking at. He'd rather define it himself. But he's wrong.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What are you rolling your eyes about? You do it in this very thread.

I am very happy to accept what you tell me about your system. It makes no sense whatsoever that you also wish to tell me about my own system, given that you don't know and are unwilling to learn anything about it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What taan-da is to you (KPM), no, there is not.

...KPM's always trying to prove something about a system he knows nothing about ....he's too proud to even ask what he's looking at.

Well, I'm not too proud to ask for clarification on this, since you are offering. When I look at the videoclip from the OP at 11:25 I see the instructor advancing and attacking with a left and then a right inside gate tan-da that looks identical to the way I've seen it applied by many other VT and WC groups. What am I missing here?

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'm not too proud to ask for clarification on this, since you are offering. When I look at the videoclip from the OP at 11:25 I see the instructor advancing and attacking with a left and then a right inside gate tan-da that looks identical to the way I've seen it applied by many other VT and WC groups. What am I missing here?

What are they doing in that part of the clip?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I've already made it clear that I took it to be a fairly typical attacking/defending drill as seen practiced in many VT/WC clubs. So to avoid wasting more time, why don't you answer your rhetorical question and then enlighten us as to why this is any different than the way most VT/WC people use tan-da? ;)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now that is a excellent and informative answer.

What are they doing...
Really not much as for a real attack.
They both in a left lead the attacker steps forward and throws a weak uncommitted midline horizontal swinging type of right arm strike and the defender sets in with a left inside tan and right da. As soon as the tan is engaged the attacker swings a left arm doing the same type strike and the defender converts to a right inside tan and a left da and the attacker falls down.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shifting taan-da in training simultaneously works both elbows linked with hips for two different punches, power, and body symmetry. One arm guides the other. When shifting to the opposite side, elbows are alternated. Inner becomes outer; outer becomes inner. Focus is on elbows (with hips) not hands. It's not an application for standing in the pocket and chasing arms left and right. It's not an application at all. It's abstract development of one's own mechanics. Focus on the hands and you see block and punch applications. Focus on the elbows and you see two separate punches being trained. In fighting, two arms work in rotation, not parallel like chi-sau.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've already made it clear that I took it to be a fairly typical attacking/defending drill as seen practiced in many VT/WC clubs. So to avoid wasting more time, why don't you answer your rhetorical question and then enlighten us as to why this is any different than the way most VT/WC people use tan-da? ;)

My reply was going to be along the lines of why bother? People here seem to feel that VT owes them something in terms of technical information, but also wish to criticise rather than listen. Not really a good atmosphere to pass on info.

LFJ was obviously feeling more charitable, good for him

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Shifting taan-da in training simultaneously works both elbows linked with hips for two different punches, power, and body symmetry. One arm guides the other. When shifting to the opposite side, elbows are alternated. Inner becomes outer; outer becomes inner. Focus is on elbows (with hips) not hands. It's not an application for standing in the pocket and chasing arms left and right. It's not an application at all. It's abstract development of one's own mechanics. Focus on the hands and you see block and punch applications. Focus on the elbows and you see two separate punches being trained. In fighting, two arms work in rotation, not parallel like chi-sau.
Maybe not all but I feel most wc practitioners with any real understanding of wing chun could agree for the most part. As to the elbows anyway.
There are some different aspects of the forearm and hand structure that could also be applied but then it would no long be a tan.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Same reason you guys do- there definitely isn't a lot of technical info being exchanged here

I'm very happy to talk, just don't see a lot of mileage in this particular kind of exchange. There have been so many bad threads

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
there definitely isn't a lot of technical info being exchanged here

ummm...yeah....especially when you respond to a question with a question

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ummm...yeah....especially when you respond to a question with a question

Honest questions are welcome. Questions that are phrased to sound as if they are part of the long and boring forum feud don't inspire or motivate much.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Understood.
So, you think Geezer is dishonest with his questioning. Brilliant.

Nothing against him in particular, although when he says things like this:

Impossible! You did not see him do an inside gate tan-da at precisely 11:25 on the video, because we have been told that WSL VT doesn't really use tan-da! ;)

or this

Yeah. WC/VT people often tend to be quick to pass judgement. We've had a few of those overly judgemental types on this forum. I think Saul would agree with that. ;)

It does seem like the continuation of the battle is more important than talking about VT.

In fact the very premise of this thread- somebody actually agrees with those guys we all like to troll- can it be real (nudge nudge), its just a bit wearysome and doesn't inspire much effort back.

Don't worry though, carry on

Latest Discussions