WSL methods video

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^ Good video. Thanks for sharing. But you know what? I think he definitely did a Tan Da at the beginning and a couple of times near the end! ;)

I agree with his comments about beginning to spar too early. But I disagree with his comments about using protective gear so one can make real contact.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^^ Good video. Thanks for sharing. But you know what? I think he definitely did a Tan Da at the beginning and a couple of times near the end! ;)

Impossible! You did not see him do an inside gate tan-da at precisely 11:25 on the video, because we have been told that WSL VT doesn't really use tan-da! ;)

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
So what I'm tasting here is a bit of "if you never fought, your ****" flavour?

What a load of ********, sorry Saul and Geezer but do you both fight every day in the street? DannyT do you honour your teacher by doing the same by fighting in the street?

LMAO
Of course not, if I went to a school and the instructor claimed to have had dozens of street fights I would question his mindset/mental state and not train there. I personally HATE the whole "cobra Kai" no mercy on the street sh@t, it's just not healthy. A while back I had a guy come up to my class who clearly didn't want to learn wing chun but test his skills (Thai) against mine. I politely told him to "get the f&ck out of my kwoon, we are adults here it's not a playground". He duly picked up his gear and left, had he physically attacked me or my students then sure, I would have gone defcon 5 on him but until that point there's no need for physicallity. Dylan, no ones saying you have to go out fighting to prove your skills but I don't think anyone here would disagree that you must pressure test your skills in order to have something functional in real fighting. I don't endorse the blind faith "if Sifu says it works in the street then I don't need to test it". Problem is, Sifu won't be there outside the kebab shop went some scrub is trying to rip your head off.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hope no one watches any David Peterson clips, he uses and demos tan-da quite often!
Gary Lam as well... lol

On to better news - happy birthday Steve!
David Peterson is a super nice nice guy, very humble and unassuming with great skills. Met him at a seminar a few years ago, although I'm not a WSL guy (and some would say HE isn't a real WSL guy) he was happy to play chi Sao with me and hang out a bit after the seminar. Top guy imo

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you know what? I think he definitely did a Tan Da at the beginning and a couple of times near the end! ;)

The problem is not with taan-da. It is that you don't understand the training methods and goal of VT and misinterpret what taan-da is training.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
The problem is not with taan-da. It is that you don't understand the training methods and goal of VT and misinterpret what taan-da is training.

I distinctly remember someone writing that there is no Tan Da in WSLVT.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
image.jpeg

C'mon LFJ do you really need to always come across so mean? We all use our "tools" in different ways, why is that so hard for you to accept?

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Saw this over on another forum. Some of what this dude says matches what LFJ and Guy have posted in the past. I'm not sure who this person is or who he learned from but I'm guessing since he is in Europe perhaps he took lessons from PB(?). Perhaps LFJ or Guy can clarify.

I have never met him.

Why would you be surprised that what he says matches what LFJ and I have said in the past? I have never met LFJ either.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For the record...I created this thread because aside from vids of PB posted by LFJ and Guy (to explain their WSL stuff to us) I'd never run across anything else. I thought it was interesting that the guy in this video seems to echo a lot (if not all) of what we've read from LFJ and Guy posts. And if I recall correctly, LFJ actually stated once that in the WSL line (i.e. WSL - PB - others...) the material, thinking, strategy, methods, etc are seamlessly passed on as each generation absorbs their VT. To me, that is interesting...because it seems to be a stand-alone characteristic when compared to other lineages of WC. Most seem to change or adapt or modify...and hence pass down something different.
Anyway, hopefully this thread won't circle the drain... :D

I suggest going to a WSL VT teacher to find out more. By this I don't mean Gary Lam, David Peterson, or the various others who have changed things or never received them. In WSL VT the understanding is common across groups. The reason is obvious.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. WC/VT people often tend to be quick to pass judgement. We've had a few of those overly judgemental types on this forum. I think Saul would agree with that. ;)

Very sorry for having beliefs

Latest Discussions