Wing chun guy gets dropped

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like the MMA guy's

- circle around strategy.
- left and right hay-makers.

Instead of standing there as a "sitting duck", the WC guy should use straight line footwork to cut into the MMA guy's circular footwork, interrupt his circular footwork, and take the control back.

cut_in_circle.jpg

Last edited:

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well... all i really got out of this video is that downward elbow strikes only work if you can stop the driving momentum first. Otherwise, i didn't see good Wing Chun or good MMA. :/

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Embarrassing, the Wc guy obviously has zero hard sparring experience.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well... all i really got out of this video is that downward elbow strikes only work if you can stop the driving momentum first. Otherwise, i didn't see good Wing Chun or good MMA. :/
You have to hit that elbow with your whole body. Just flailing the arm does mostly bubkas. So if you picked the double leg and sprawled into a shot. Or stepped out lt would d probably work(ish). You cant do much with them hanging off their hips.

Conversely if you are double legging someone the elbow does nothing to stop the takedown in that it does not protect the elements that are actually bein attacked.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
You have to hit that elbow with your whole body. Just flailing the arm does mostly bubkas. So if you picked the double leg and sprawled into a shot. Or stepped out lt would d probably work(ish). You cant do much with them hanging off their hips.

Conversely if you are double legging someone the elbow does nothing to stop the takedown in that it does not protect the elements that are actually bein attacked.
Bang on the money, a well executed penetration step and double leg will render that downward elbow useless.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
The mma was good enough to mess up the Wc practitioner...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bang on the money, a well executed penetration step and double leg will render that downward elbow useless.

If you were a really slick wrestler you might be able to pull it off. If you are a wing chun guy. Then know your limitations and choose something better.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you were a really slick wrestler you might be able to pull it off. If you are a wing chun guy. Then know your limitations and choose something better.
Interesting, I don't think shooting in from the correct range for the double leg vs the Wc guy in the clip would need slick skills, he looks like a sitting duck

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting, I don't think shooting in from the correct range for the double leg vs the Wc guy in the clip would need slick skills, he looks like a sitting duck

No the wing chun guy has to be a slick wrestler to pull off down elbows. Because you are defending without using your arms.

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
...that's a can of worms.
There's no denying who won and who lost, but he didn't win because he has good MMA.
Agreed, if the mma guy (who the clip said was a kickboxer) had been more skillful and aggressive that "fight" would have been over a lot quicker.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^ Did you read the text right at the end of the video? It didn't seem to match what was in the video itself. When the MMA guy got in a good shot that rattled the Wing Tsun guy, the action stopped and he seemed to be apologizing. This looked like a friendly comparison of skills, and not a match where 50K was at stake and anything goes! And neither one looked like an "expert", let alone a "master."

SaulGoodman

Green Belt
Reaction score
^^^^^ Did you read the text right at the end of the video? It didn't seem to match what was in the video itself. When the MMA guy got in a good shot that rattled the Wing Tsun guy, the action stopped and he seemed to be apologizing. This looked like a friendly comparison of skills, and not a match where 50K was at stake and anything goes! And neither one looked like an "expert", let alone a "master."
My money is still on the mma guy regardless of the circumstances

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah. Wouldn't have thought a 50,000 no rules match would have a standing count.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This video reminds me about the discussion about only sparring against the same same system. I think this videos is text book example of what can happen as a result of always sparring against the same system.

The match could have been an invitation for the purpose of learning how to use WC vs MMA style of fighting. If the match was really a 50K challenge then the WC guy is very lucky to fight this MMA guy and not someone who would swing for the hills and would have kneed the WC guy when he was sitting against the wall.

Whatever the real reason for the sparring match was, it's clear to see that the WC guy needs more sparring time that doesn't look like this WC vs WC

Latest Discussions