Wrist grabbing?

Discussion in 'General Self Defense' started by Kissthecarpet, Feb 27, 2018.

1. donald1

donald1 Senior Master

I like wrist grabs. You can break the wrist, hyperextend the arm or nonviolently restrain an attacker. (The list goes on...)
    However your average high school bully probably doesn't think about those things.

2. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

I haven’t seen much, nor have I really looked with a fine toothed comb. If I come across something I’ll post it.

In a nutshell, it’s kind of like the video Jow Ga Wolf posted. When they’re head to head, wrestlers like to grab wrists, especially if you have a less experienced opponent. A few of the schools we wrestled liked to use a wrist grab, and get a standing single leg while holding the wrist. Think of it as pulling downward fast and hard to the opponent’s knee to off-balance while grabbing the knee. Other schools would use wrist control to tie up both arms to initiate a throw. More like forearm control, but it started at the wrists.

Picture what they were doing in the video - the quick grabbing, circular movement, staying low, etc, and add keeping the wrist and doing what I mentioned. Someone who’s not used to keeping their wrists from being grabbed and breaking the grabs before they’re a threat will be in trouble before they realize what’s going on.

Again, video would make it very clear. I’ll try looking again :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

A wrist grab is also a precursor to a back take.

If you take their back and you have half a clue. You have probably won that fight.

I do a lot of one hand on the back of their head one hand on the wrist.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

Here is a short clip to use wrist grab to achieve arm tucking.

5. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Wrist grab defenses are useful for beginning to learn basics. In the Hapkido I studied, we pretty much went as above. And don't forget that in past times, if an opponent had a sword and you didn't, you might want to grab his wrist to prevent him from drawing his weapon, and giving you an opportunity to employ another technique against him.

But grappling imho, needs to have a progression from the simpler to the more complicated. Along the way you begin to develop muscle memory and tactile memory to aid in future techniques.

6. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mountie

Mountie Yellow Belt

I've been wondering about this myself. Intellectually, I think of someone grabbing a woman's arm and hauling her away or trying to stop a smaller opponent from punching by grabbing their wrists, but in all my experience I've never seen it.

I wonder how much if it is related to aikido/ju jitsu being about weapon defense so they grabbed wrists. Unarmed practitioners got used to opponents grabbing their wrists so they started defending against that. But now we train primarily for unarmed opponents so the game changed. Blocks are tighter to defend against punches and kicks instead of knives and swords.

But that's just theory and guesswork. Anyone been grabbed by the wrist in an actual street fight or attack? Or even heard of it happening?

8. JR 137

JR 137 Senior Master

That’s it right there. The first minute or so especially.

@hoshin1600 if you watch Drop Bear’s video, you’ll see him grabbing the wrist and pulling it down with him during the first minute or so. The wrist practically touches the opponent’s knee. We’d do a single leg grab at the point; either staying on our feet or going to our knees. Whichever one used would be a preference thing, but the wrist grab and pulling off-balance and/or set up the opponent nicely when done right. It’s got to be hard and fast.

Getting out of the grab easily negates a lot of that. And many people will get a solid grip on the wrist and hold it. Some people look for a two-on-one wrist grab. Some people like to get the wrist and keep it to either do an arm drag or tie up the arm for a throw. Whatever they’re looking to do with it, if you can’t get the wrist free quickly, you’re pretty much at their mercy if they know what they’re doing. A lot of stuff starts with a wrist grab in standing wrestling.

• Like Like x 1