frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Umm I have seen many fights in Hockey and they do grab.

Fouling someones weapon draw goes back to the days when swords were carried (I mean primarily Japan) so some arts still contain that. I am sure that some of the striking arts will have a sword block (I don't mean the sword lol I mean the hands or the hilt ) so is that useless too? can they not be adapted and thought of in a more modern way? I'd say yes but just my opinion.

And I have seen many instances where a person grabs another and then punches etc so saying that never happens I cannot agree with sorry

Hockey fights are a very specific type of fight imo and well looking at all the modern data the "minders" suffer and some have died through it but hey learn to fight hockey style just remember that the other dude might kick ya in the street where he will not on the ice
The reason to grab and punch is both to keep the other guy stationary(as much as possible) and to off balance him. On skates the intention may not be to take the other guy to the ice (the referees break up fights quickly when they hit the ice), but when you are off balance it is harder to counter. That's why the grab for the bottom of the jersey, guy ends up at least partially bent over, limited vision and no balance. Same reason they grab the back of the neck in Muay Thai, makes it harder to counter than standing up straight and free.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The reason to grab and punch is both to keep the other guy stationary(as much as possible) and to off balance him. On skates the intention may not be to take the other guy to the ice (the referees break up fights quickly when they hit the ice), but when you are off balance it is harder to counter. That's why the grab for the bottom of the jersey, guy ends up at least partially bent over, limited vision and no balance. Same reason they grab the back of the neck in Muay Thai, makes it harder to counter than standing up straight and free.

I agree with the how in hockey fights lol

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
And (some of) you say online learning doesn’t matter? I have found more knowledge in half these answers (next half later) than in many trial classes I have done or in some ‘instructors’ I have met. Sometimes reading and watching really helps. :)

As far as I'm aware, the general consensus about online learning is that it has definite value as a supplementary resource.

Taken in isolation, not so much value.

You (and I) have learned stuff because we know somewhat what to do with the information.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Umm I have seen many fights in Hockey and they do grab.

Fouling someones weapon draw goes back to the days when swords were carried (I mean primarily Japan) so some arts still contain that. I am sure that some of the striking arts will have a sword block (I don't mean the sword lol I mean the hands or the hilt ) so is that useless too? can they not be adapted and thought of in a more modern way? I'd say yes but just my opinion.

And I have seen many instances where a person grabs another and then punches etc so saying that never happens I cannot agree with sorry

Hockey fights are a very specific type of fight imo and well looking at all the modern data the "minders" suffer and some have died through it but hey learn to fight hockey style just remember that the other dude might kick ya in the street where he will not on the ice

Rugby love a grab.

Latest Discussions