Kissthecarpet

White Belt
Reaction score
I always wondered why people practice "grab my wrist" techniques? Are they of any use?. The times when I was a young lad on school the bullies never pulled such a move, and in street attacks I have seen, they didn't happen like that, also check some security camera stuff, most attacks don't happen like this. Thanks in advance for your insights.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because most wrist grabs are predicated on the grabber's intention to "control" the person. Often that is grabbing at a weapon bearing wrist but is also sometimes seen when someone is trying to dominant or exercise restraint and control.

It's not usually applicable to a "street fight." And as for your school yard fights, it doesn't happen there unless they're trying to restrain you and put your head in a toilet.

That said, I think that some people or arts over-emphasize the techniques to an out-sized importance not consistent with its representation in "real life."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I always wondered why people practice "grab my wrist" techniques? Are they of any use?. The times when I was a young lad on school the bullies never pulled such a move, and in street attacks I have seen, they didn't happen like that, also check some security camera stuff, most attacks don't happen like this. Thanks in advance for your insights.
The wrist grabbing techniques are drills for something that always happens, in grappling range. Especially in the event that you have a weapon, knife or stick. The concept of grabbing the wrists will almost always occur.

In terms of Martial Arts, If you come across a grappler then your wrists are in danger. The wrists are a point of control that can eventually spell doom. Wrist grab -> arm control-> throw. Or whatever comes next

We don't see it often simply because most people aren't skilled enough to do a wrist grab as an offense and those who do train are less likely to be in a fight.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That said, I think that some people or arts over-emphasize the techniques to an out-sized importance not consistent with its representation in "real life."
Agree. It's almost always demonstrated and drilled in it's most simple concept where someone leans forward to grab a wrist. That context is always over-emphasized. However, if the person is in withing grabbing range then the technique becomes more valuable,

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In addition to mostly what’s been said, my previous dojo did wrist grab defenses as a progression. We first learned the defenses and follow ups with someone grabbing your wrist. Then grabbing your sleeve at the wrist, sleeve at the elbow, elbow-ish area, lapels, etc. Pretty soon it got to two people grabbing and pushing each other around and a response from either. Similar to a judo match or even the start of a bar room brawl where guys are grabbing each other and trying to knock each other over. It’s all about very close distance “in-fighting.”

If all you do is simple wrist grabs and escapes with a compliant partner, they’re not worth much. If you have a progression of the grabbing and resistance, they’re quite valuable. You’ve got to start somewhere, and a simple wrist grab is the easiest and most logical place to start.

It’s no different than those stereotypical one-step defenses when someone steps in with a lunge punch and holds it out there waiting for the counter. They’re a great way to introduce the concept, but if it doesn’t progress sooner or not too much later, it’s little more than a waste of time.

Edit: When I was wrestling and coaching it, wrist control and wrist control escapes were very important during the neutral standing phase. I taught a couple ways to counter wrist control that I learned later on in karate to my wrestlers. The ones that actually used them did quite well with it.

Last edited:

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sometimes training a wrist grab escape is not all about freeing your wrist. The escape we teach first, doesn't look like most wrist escapes people have seen. However, it teaches a lot of other things: body alignment, power development, body unity, angles, body awareness, balance...

If I let the other guy get a good grip on my wrist, in a position he is strong in, then I can practice my escape slowly. By doing so, I must keep my structure correct, my balance correct, my technique correct throughout the whole process. Its a great way to work on all these other bits, even though the bad guy is unlikely, to grab and stay, while I escape.

That said, while grappling, with fully resisting opponents, I have used the principles and ideas taught, to escape many different holds. I even occasionally use very close variations of our kata versions of escapes, even though we may not be standing and static.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was wrestling and coaching it, wrist control and wrist control escapes were very important during the neutral standing phase.
any chance of a few Youtube vids to demonstrate or explain. im really interested.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You grab on your opponent's wrist. While he pays attention on your wrist grip, you let go your grip, and punch to his face.
lol.. pretty sure it doesn't work that way. Some people can grab your wrist and you won't get it back .

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If your game includes striking and clinch work. Grabbing wrists should be part of that. And so freeing wrists should also be part of that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to always feel strange when I started teaching wrist escapes to people. I always get the "No one is going to grab me like that." Eventually I had to change how I taught the escapes. Now when I train the wrist escapes, I tell the students right from the beginning that the drill is to help us learn the basics and the mechanics of the escape. Once we understand that, we can use those same mechanics against more common grabs.

When you think about it, the mechanics of effective grabbing is complex. The simple stuff just makes it easier to explain without going into various complex explanations. What to do when some grabs the arm, the timing involved, where to grab, how to grab, what to do after the grab, which way to move the arm, do you bend the wrist vertically or horizontally. An this is just involving a simple escape. It doesn't include what do when the grab or counter fails. I now like the simple drill more because it's less for me to explain and I don't have to waist time replying to doubts.

Just say. "This drill will build a foundation that you'll need for more advanced understanding and application"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You also have the shortest distance to his head.
The wrist grabbing strategy is called "tucking", as if you tuck your shirt inside your pants. You grab on your opponent's wrist. You then guide his arm away from your entering path. When you enter, that arm won't give you any trouble. It's a very important strategy used in wrestling.

tucking.jpg

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I teach those, I explain they're mostly about defending part of an attack. It's unlikely someone will come up on the street and grab your wrist, and nothing else. They might grab and punch (or stab), so the wrist releases and the methods for taking advantage of that grip to break structure can be useful then. If you are grappling with someone (struggling with them), especially if there's something in your hand they want (your or their weapon), there can be some focus on grabbing arms.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not about someone just grabbing your wrist and standing there. The attack is they grab your wrist to control you. A wrist grab/ gi grab is commonly used in judo. Also if you're already in a fight someone could grab your wrist to stop you hitting them.

Or it could be a case of your in a situation your trying to call the police and they grab your hand to stop you. There's loads of possibilities for it

Latest Discussions