Wow I haven't seen that in a long time

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I noticed something today at my daughters Aikido school that I have not seen in a CMA school in a long time..or ever to be honest, comradery. Not just amongst the students of the school but amongst aikidoka from other schools and other places. Aikidoka that are from other areas of the state or other states or in the case of one weekend, from another country. Come to the school to train when they are in the area or they come to the school specifically to train. Kind of reminded me of the old days when I started MA.

Blaze Dragon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I noticed something today at my daughters Aikido school that I have not seen in a CMA school in a long time..or ever to be honest, comradery. Not just amongst the students of the school but amongst aikidoka from other schools and other places. Aikidoka that are from other areas of the state or other states or in the case of one weekend, from another country. Come to the school to train when they are in the area or they come to the school specifically to train. Kind of reminded me of the old days when I started MA.

That's awesome it's still alive :)

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love it! This is the way it should be. Practitioners of an art (or even a differing art) should always be welcomed in a school when they're traveling. It shows the goodwill and hospitality of the instructor, the students and the school and leaves the traveling student with a good feeling of belonging to something bigger than themselves.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It was kind of nice to see it still exists... made me want to join the school actually....and then my knees said otherwise. It is a great place for my daughter to train and I am glad we took her there. It’s an old school with an old school sensei and a lot of old school students… I like it

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definately like that old school feel. I'm actually not surprised. I have experienced that same hospitality on more than one occasion. Maybe we're all growing up, or too old to sweat the small stuff?

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am glad you see it there and I can appreciate it's value because it resonates from my school's atmosphere!! I love going to train because everyone supports each other and works together to accomplish our goals in martial arts - It's a great feeling!!:)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, the Wing Chun group I trained with over the summer was a great group too, no attitudes just all loved Wing Chun (and I have seen a lot of attitudes in Wing Chun and CMA in gerneral over the years). But even then they did not have the feel of this Aikido school. But then they were not training in a building either, they were outside.

But thinking of these two groups I guess it is still there, just harder to find, and in the case of the Wing Chun group rather hidden, unless someone tells you or you happen to walk by you will never know it is there.

But this Aikido school is so very much old school and old school attitude... I'm just real happy the decision was made to take my daughter there

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've experienced that same sense of fellowship all over the world. The only time it was different was the Aikikai Hombu in New York where I was just totally ignored.

Latest Discussions