going from KENPO to SHITO RYU ?

YOGAMAN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
what are your opinions on this ? is it a setback or is it a step forward ? its like studying BJJ and getting a black belt in it then taking judo ... what would you say are the pros and cons ?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are your opinions on this ? is it a setback or is it a step forward ? its like studying BJJ and getting a black belt in it then taking judo ... what would you say are the pros and cons ?

A lot of BJJ black belts coming out of Brazil also have Judo black belts...I think it's more of a matter of what's "your" flavor?

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's a different art, not a setback but an opportunity to deepen your personal understanding of the vast subject of martial arts. Not sure about your BJJ to judo analogy.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what is your purpose in switching from one to the other?

I think they are distinct methods and if well taught, well understood, and well practiced they are only different. Not better or worse or a step up or down. Just different.

Which approach is a better match for you? The approach to training, the way the curriculum is structured, those are things that might make the difference. One approach might simply "work" better for you than the other, might make more sense to you and so is more useful.

Other than that, who is the better teacher?

OP
Y

YOGAMAN

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
on a scale of one to ten how far away is kenpo from shito ryu ?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
on a scale of one to ten how far away is kenpo from shito ryu ?

Depends on which "kenpo" you mean.

From Okinawan Kenpo to modern Shito-ryu, I'd subjectively say it's still quite a big evolution, maybe a 7, despite the former playing a role in the latter's development.

If you mean American kenpo, I'd say a 9. Very different style of movement, different, forms, different assumptions, etc between the two systems.

Latest Discussions