Wish me luck!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
UPDATE

OK, I got an e-mail from him. He says: The question was "Are you ready for your blue belt"? And the answer is YES! your answer was "I don't know...". Please tell me you see the difference.

I don't recall saying "I don't know", I DO, however, remember saying "I think so", meaning I think I know what I'm supposed to know to pass.

Bookworm... please listen to me, OK?

The question is, `are you ready for your blue belt'. One perfectly legitimate way to take the question is, `Am I up to scratch enough for a blue belt?' That for me would be the preferred interpretation of the question. Now that's what the blue belt test ITSELF is supposed to show. But clearly, if the blue belt test determines the answer to that question, and you are taking your blue belt test, how can you possibly answer the question until you know the results of the very tests you're taking???. Let me go through it again with you, just so you'll appreciate the next thing I'm going to say: (i) the question is asking you if your skill level now merits a blue belt; (ii) the question is part of an exam which is the supposed determination of the answer to that question; (iii) therefore you are being asked a question as part of an exam which you cannot properly answer until you've actually completed the exam!

The next thing I'm going to say is, (iv) this is—to translate the honest Anglo-Saxon into the cowardly-learned Latinate—a case of someone copulating with your mind, as it were. This is a lousy, cheap shot, in plainer terms. And if this guys says, `well, no, actually, I expected you to take this to mean, "Do you think you deserve to test for blue belt?"', then it would be an instance of criminal insincerity. He's saying in effect, `Read my mind, and if you can't, you don't get to pass'.

I hate to suggest this, Bkwrm, but you might start thinking about shifting your training to a place where they don't play stupid arrogant-*** mind games with their students...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bookworm, it's entirely possible your instructor was testing your mental state - however, as I have said before, you should not be failed for not knowing something he has not taught you - when that happens, the fault lies with him, not you. That he would fail you for being unable to explain a stance (which I disagree with anyway - not that you shouldn't be able to do it, but that that is the sole reason you failed the first time is, to me, wrong), put your re-testing off multiple times, and then fail you again for not being able to answer that type of question - I say again: the fault is his, not yours. I cannot say it any more clearly than that.

To give you a little perspective on this, when I tested for III Dan, I was asked to explain several things - among them how to use my hips, and how to teach hip use to a child. I was not able to verbalize the latter the way the testing instructor wanted (1 member of a board of 4 VII Dans and 2 VIII Dans) - but he knew from what I did say, and what I demonstrated, that I knew how to do it, and passed me on the question - nor would he have failed me solely for being unable to answer one rather specific question. Your instructor failed you for a similar concern - that's why I have a problem with it.

Now, as far as exile's suggestion - I would suggest at least looking for another class. You have said that you won't be in his class again until school starts for fall semester - look around wherever you're living and try a few things, both in the same style and in others, if available. Talk to a few students in other classes, ask them what happens at their testings, and see what they say. Maybe you'll find out that where you are is really where you're supposed to be - and maybe you won't. But if you don't check, you won't know.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
UPDATE

OK, I got an e-mail from him. He says: The question was "Are you ready for your blue belt"?

Did you not SHOW UP for the blue belt test? Why would you do that if were not fairly--most likely, absolutely--certain you were ready? In other words,your presence was the answer to the question. His question was at worst malicious, perhaps superfluous, or at best should have been rhetorical, intended merely to get you thinking.

In my field (education), I would say of individuals like this that they are usually power-abusive, and always looking for reasons to tell others of lesser power they are not good enough, instead of using their power to help their charges build on what they're doing right. And these emotional abusers are legion.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you not SHOW UP for the blue belt test? Why would you do that if were not fairly--most likely, absolutely--certain you were ready? In other words,your presence was the answer to the question. His question was at worst malicious, perhaps superfluous, or at best should have been rhetorical, intended merely to get you thinking.

In my field (education), I would say of individuals like this that they are usually power-abusive, and always looking for reasons to tell others of lesser power they are not good enough, instead of using their power to help their charges build on what they're doing right. And these emotional abusers are legion.

Right, kdswrrr—abusive is definitely the term that comes to mind.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right, kdswrrr—abusive is definitely the term that comes to mind.

I concur with my collegues on this one. And, you are a person of worth & value. Testing your mettle is one thing. Dangling an unattainable carrott in front of you is quite another. Find a place where you will be treated well & given the tools to build yourself up. Not to tear yourself down.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur with my collegues on this one. And, you are a person of worth & value. Testing your mettle is one thing. Dangling an unattainable carrott in front of you is quite another. Find a place where you will be treated well & given the tools to build yourself up. Not to tear yourself down.

Bookworm—Kacey, kidswarrior and Iceman are three very experienced MA teachers. You should give particular attention to, and take very seriously, their severe reservations about the appropriateness of your treatment by your instructor. There is something very wrong about this. And it's not just martial arts education; I've taught university, both undergraduate and graduate, for more than thirty years, and I can tell you than any colleagues of mine who related to their students in the fashion you describe would in all likelihood never get to the point of even being considered for tenure. A single year of this and their butts would be in an unsalvageable sling so far as that job went.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate to suggest this, Bkwrm, but you might start thinking about shifting your training to a place where they don't play stupid arrogant-*** mind games with their students...

Haven't read the posts under this yet, but just wanted to say now that I agree with this completely. I really think you need to be in a positive environment where you can grow as a martial artist. Do you honestly feel you are getting that now? If not, let us help you find a place where you can!!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Great post!! I agree whole-heartedly!! (can't rep, have to spread the love).
I don't really have much to add, except that I totally support the posts above (exile, iceman, kacey, kidswarrior, and I am sure others). You deserve to be in a school that is supportive and helps you succeed. Let us help you find a place like that for you! Please seriously consider the above posters' words and think about them logically... and decide what is best for YOU.
good luck bookworm!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You deserve to be in a school that is supportive and helps you succeed. Let us help you find a place like that for you!

A double amen to what Lauren's saying here, Bookworm. I have to say, the more I think about what was done to you in that exam, the angrier and more horrified I'm getting. I see a kind of wanton destructive egotism in your instructor's casual dismissal of your best efforts, on what has to count as frivolous grounds, and I'm troubled by the thought that you're routinely subject to that egotism in your efforts to pursue a martial education and training. You really do deserve better, and so would anyone who went to the trouble of training earnestly, seriously and in good faith. The part of Lauren's note that I've quoted is the real gist of what this unpleasant episode is telling you.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bookworm, I really can't add anything to what everyone has already said except to say that, IMO, the criteria for passing a stuedent to the next rank is that the student can perform to the minimum required of that rank. I would not require a student explain a stance to me unless he was testing for brown belt, the lowest level at which we allow students to begin teaching, in preparation for their black belt.

I have heard about this kind of thing before, usually at McDojo's where they are getting a fee for every test. The color of the belt you wear around your waist may or may not indicate your level of skill, but what this guy is doing is bull excrement. I agree with everyone who says go find a teacher who is not into power trips.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm with that lot *points upwards* I think you are being treated very unfairly and although we can't all know the full picture of what is going on, the posters above who are instructors themselves, and those of us who have the experience of being tested can see that something is not right here.

I really hope you can find a Dojang with an instructor who will treat you with respect and consideration you deserve. By the fact that you as posting here I can tell you are pretty serious, so for your instructor not to see it enough to support you in this test I feel is unreasonable.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bookworm, I know all this advice must put you in a tight spot, since many are suggesting you consider changing schools. Having done this myself more than once, I know this is a scary propostion. How will I be accepted? Will I be as good at the art/way they teach it? And I have to meet a whole new group of people. Etc.

But for me in retrospect, each time I moved--and they were all for serious reasons, as in your case--after a short settling-in time, things were better than I thought they ever could be. In other words, change is scary, but what we change to very, very often turns out to be so much better than what we left.

As always, keep us posted. You know by now you have a group of people here who care about you (everyone above), and who want what's best for you. :)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bookworm, I know all this advice must put you in a tight spot, since many are suggesting you consider changing schools. Having done this myself more than once, I know this is a scary propostion. How will I be accepted? Will I be as good at the art/way they teach it? And I have to meet a whole new group of people. Etc.

But for me in retrospect, each time I moved--and they were all for serious reasons, as in your case--after a short settling-in time, things were better than I thought they ever could be. In other words, change is scary, but what we change to very, very often turns out to be so much better than what we left.

As always, keep us posted. You know by now you have a group of people here who care about you (everyone above), and who want what's best for you. :)

GREAT ADVICE!!!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

GREAT ADVICE!!!

Absolutely—that's the voice of the authentic Mentor speaking. If nothing else, Bookworm, the unaninimity of the reaction this episode is generated amongst people with good chunks of a lifetime in the martial arts should tell you something about the extremely dubious nature of your instructor's behavior. If it weren't a clear case, there'd be a lot wider spread of opinion. But all of us who've read this post and responded have found the episode... just, aberrant

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Having only recently attained my yellow belt maybe I shouldn't comment but I feel I have to......

I totally agree with what our "elders" are telling you. I am also bothered by him then emailing you trying to get a "correct" answer from you. If you answer correctly will you get your belt? Will he then unhumiliate you infront of those at your testing by explaining himself? I would think that either you test and pass/fail in the dojo but not through emails.

He sounds like a bully and someone whose "mentoring" you could do without.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll do great.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having only recently attained my yellow belt maybe I shouldn't comment but I feel I have to......

I totally agree with what our "elders" are telling you. I am also bothered by him then emailing you trying to get a "correct" answer from you. If you answer correctly will you get your belt? Will he then unhumiliate you infront of those at your testing by explaining himself? I would think that either you test and pass/fail in the dojo but not through emails.

He sounds like a bully and someone whose "mentoring" you could do without.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you'll do great.

Oh, man, GREAT post. :asian:

BTW, I tell everyone that yellow belt is the hardest to get, because 90%+ of people quit before they get there.

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh, man, GREAT post. :asian:

BTW, I tell everyone that yellow belt is the hardest to get, because 90%+ of people quit before they get there.

It's been tempting but I can't let my hubby or kids get the best of me. LOL

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been tempting but I can't let my hubby or kids get the best of me. LOL

Showing up is half the battle - some days it's the entire battle!

Bookworm, if you're reading this - remember that you did everything your instructor prepared you to do - no matter his reasons, this is his failure, because, intentionally or unintentionally, he did not prepare you for that question - it is not your fault; you showed up, having practiced everything you were taught, ready to show your skill, and were stopped by a single question that your instructor did not prep you on how to answer.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Showing up is half the battle - some days it's the entire battle!

Bookworm, if you're reading this - remember that you did everything your instructor prepared you to do - no matter his reasons, this is his failure, because, intentionally or unintentionally, he did not prepare you for that question - it is not your fault; you showed up, having practiced everything you were taught, ready to show your skill, and were stopped by a single question that your instructor did not prep you on how to answer.

One of the watchwords I learned early in my university teaching career from some excellent instructors was, `Teach the exam.' If there's a specific body of information that you feel it's crucial to your students to take away from your course, then clearly you want to see if they've acquired it by the end, so logically speaking, that's what the exam should cover. But by the same token, it should also be the core of the material you cover in class, just by virtue of the fact that you view it as the essential material they need to learn. So what you teach, and what you test on, should be the same. And as Kacey points out here, your instructor seems to have made a particular point of not doing that. Something so important, so crucial, that you giving him an answer he didn't like meant that everything else you knew and could do wasn't even worth him looking at?? Well, if so, why did he not say one word about it in your training, in your prep, as Kacey notes??

This is just out-and-out professional incompetence.

Latest Discussions