Wish me luck!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'M BACK IN!!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!
I got a letter from ODU in the mail today. They said I can come back in, though I'm still on academic probation-- so I'm gonna hafta drop that kendo class. Oh well, maybe some other time, huh?

Congratulations! And hey... what kendo class? I think I missed something.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Best of luck to you! I'm sure that you will do awesome! I'll be testing for my red belt pretty soon and after that it's not too long until black belt.

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My aspirations for blue belt shall be put on hold (for a while, at least) because I'm currently taking an online Statistics class over the summer-- it'll be ONE less thing I have to worry about. After I finish the STAT class, all I have left is COMM classes, and then....GRADUATION next May!!!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My aspirations for blue belt shall be put on hold (for a while, at least) because I'm currently taking an online Statistics class over the summer-- it'll be ONE less thing I have to worry about. After I finish the STAT class, all I have left is COMM classes, and then....GRADUATION next May!!!

Good for you. I'd encourage you just to take things one at a time. Taekwondo will always be there for you.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Way cool! Happy homework, and let us know how it's going - but don't neglect your studying to come here. :)

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Work on your techs, when you need a break from work—treat practice as a kind of treat, a reward for putting in several good hours of high-quality studying each day. That way you can keep the proper priority of schoolwork and MA, but still feel good about doing your MA stuff. And your techs won't get rusty even though you're putting primary emphasis on your schoolwork.

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, I just started my internship today, so if nobody hears from me for a while-- don't worry, I'm still alive! I'm just at the news station, working.

So, no worries, cuz I'm FINE!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, I just started my internship today, so if nobody hears from me for a while-- don't worry, I'm still alive! I'm just at the news station, working.

So, no worries, cuz I'm FINE!

OK, bkwrm, but what is the state of your MA situation... what's going on there?

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Bad news, I'm afraid: I just dropped out of the online stats class I was taking. There was just NO way I would have been able to pass the midterm. So, I'll just take it at ODU. In a classroom setting.

But, look on the bright side, you'll be able to talk to me a LITTLE more often now! Because I am now free-with the exception of the 3 days I intern at the news station!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Y'know, some classes are just not appropriate for online instruction - they require too much feedback. It's a lot harder to admit that something isn't working and try another way than it is to keep going.

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a private lesson on the 7th. My instructor mentioned I was about ready to test but he wants me to test in front of a large group of people, and I'm somewhat freaked about that now.

I have no problem with testing in front of a SMALL group, but thinking about a HUGE group kinda makes my stomach hurt.

So, cross your fingers and pray he decides ix-nay on the large group. But, just in case I'm NOT lucky enough for that to happen, any suggestions on how to deal?

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a private lesson on the 7th. My instructor mentioned I was about ready to test but he wants me to test in front of a large group of people, and I'm somewhat freaked about that now.

I have no problem with testing in front of a SMALL group, but thinking about a HUGE group kinda makes my stomach hurt.

So, cross your fingers and pray he decides ix-nay on the large group. But, just in case I'm NOT lucky enough for that to happen, any suggestions on how to deal?
Every time you start to get nervous, imagine all the 'Masters' in Speedos. But remember: DO NOT laugh out loud--only to yourself. :lfao:
Really, though, this kind of thing often actually works. Best wishes!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Don't let it throw you. Your instructor's job is to put you in difficult/uncomfortable situations - situations you wouldn't voluntarily put yourself in - to help you grow as a person. If your instructor is putting you in this type of situation, then he believes you are able to perform in it. Take heart from that, and get up in front of the group and demonstrate that you are the next rank - and believe it as you do it.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Breath, and remember that the crowd has nothing to do with your test, it's just you and your instructor. Breath. Good Luck.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The size of the crowd is NOTHING..Ignore them...You will do fine...Ya should have seen me when I made my first stage appearence, I was terrified..I took the fear and pushed in into a distant place in my mind.It worked got a standing ovation and some great reviews...Keep us posted..

Latest Discussions