Wish me luck!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, so here are my well-wishes that TODAY is the big day!

Although at this point you have banked so much postive energy from us that I am sure you don't need any more!!

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I sincerely hope today's the day. I'd kinda like to be a blue belt BEFORE August rolls around. I start my next semester the last week of August. I'll be dropping TKD for a semester--I have several evening classes!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sincerely hope today's the day. I'd kinda like to be a blue belt BEFORE August rolls around. I start my next semester the last week of August. I'll be dropping TKD for a semester--I have several evening classes!

Well, you let us know about the test, and we'll supply the cheering and applause. eh? :wink1:

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, you let us know about the test, and we'll supply the cheering and applause. eh? :wink1:

If I hold my breath any longer Bookworm I'll go blue..... any news yet?

OK, I failed yet again. On the first question, too. I think I might have set a new record for shortest belt test ever! I couldn't give a decent answer to the question of "Why do I feel I deserve to test for blue belt?"-- something like that anyway (I don't remember the exact question.).

And, now I'm starting to feel like I'm going to stay a purple belt forever. :wah:

But, at least I didn't cry until after I got home.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, I failed yet again. On the first question, too. I think I might have set a new record for shortest belt test ever! I couldn't give a decent answer to the question of "Why do I feel I deserve to test for blue belt?"-- something like that anyway (I don't remember the exact question.).

And, now I'm starting to feel like I'm going to stay a purple belt forever. :wah:

Well, I know that's a huge disappointment for you, but just imagine how strong a blue belt you'll be! :) Regardless of belt color, you're still learning week after week, month after month, and no one can take that away from you.

And I think we all get stuck at some point along the way. For me it was between blue/green. Spent a year there, while my friends were on the way to brown belt. But most of those people have long since left the arts, and here I am. I know that can be true for you, too.

The only way to fail is to give up. Otherwise, we're just on a slower road to success. :ultracool

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
you failed your test because of THAT question?

After everything that has happened, is anyone else here getting a little suspicious of what kind of program is being run there?

I mean, I know we obviously don't know the ends and outs of everything, but still...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
you failed your test because of THAT question?

After everything that has happened, is anyone else here getting a little suspicious of what kind of program is being run there?

I mean, I know we obviously don't know the ends and outs of everything, but still...

I know. Occured to me, too. But want bookworm to feel supported, even if the examiner's a ---- well, maybe not so great.

I've been tested by some high ranking people (7-8 stripes on their belts) who had the emotional level of three year olds. And this is not hyperbole--one really did; would throw tantrums and the whole nine yards. I eventually moved on, but while I was in the system, and on the days I did test, there wasn't a thing I could do about it.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You failed... because of that????

Whoa, I'm with Lauren on this. In my school, you test when our instructor thinks you're ready to test—when you're doing everything right, out there on the dojang floor, in regular class sessions. So obviously it would make no sense to ask a student why s/he feels s/he deserves to take the test; it's the chief instructor who determines that, and the obvious answer would be, `Because you believe I'm ready to test, sir.' Other schools have a fixed promotional cycle: test every four months up to green, say, every six after that up till 1st gup, etc. So there too it would make no sense to ask why you feel you deserve to test (answer: because I can read the calendar as well as anyone else in this dojang).

The only way that question even makes sense would be if you had to petition them to test! And from what you've told us, that's clearly not been the case—you've been waiting on their pleaure to test. So what the hell is the point of the question in the first place?

And in the second place, how does asking the question constitute a test of skills at the blue belt level? What—we now have

*forms
*techniques
*sparring
*breaking
*justifying your belief that you deserve to take a rank test

as the five cornerstones of TKD??? And the last one is so crucial that if you `blow it', none of the other skill sets are of any interest?

What a CROCK.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Lauren and exile - I can see asking the question;, to see where you are mentally, but I can't see passing or failing being dependent in any fashion on the answer... especially not after leaving you hanging in the wind about the testing date week after week.

I know this isn't the outcome you wanted - but this is not your fault: it is your instructor's, for not making sure that you were ready for that part of the testing.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Lauren and exile - I can see asking the question;, to see where you are mentally, but I can't see passing or failing being dependent in any fashion on the answer... especially not after leaving you hanging in the wind about the testing date week after week.

I know this isn't the outcome you wanted - but this is not your fault: it is your instructor's, for not making sure that you were ready for that part of the testing.

Amen, Kacey—Bookworm, take what K. is telling you seriously: it's very important that you not think that you're deficient, or at fault, or that your TKD skills are genuinely below code, because of what happened. My feeling has always been that if you're not testing on a rigidly fixed schedule, your instructor's teaching responsibilities include keeping track of your progress and matching your next belt test accordingly. In the end, one of the hallmarks of a good school is that the instructors are on your side: they want to see you succeed. I don't see signs of that attitude here, from what you've told us...

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You failed... because of that????

Whoa, I'm with Lauren on this. In my school, you test when our instructor thinks you're ready to test—when you're doing everything right, out there on the dojang floor, in regular class sessions. So obviously it would make no sense to ask a student why s/he feels s/he deserves to take the test; it's the chief instructor who determines that, and the obvious answer would be, `Because you believe I'm ready to test, sir.' Other schools have a fixed promotional cycle: test every four months up to green, say, every six after that up till 1st gup, etc. So there too it would make no sense to ask why you feel you deserve to test (answer: because I can read the calendar as well as anyone else in this dojang).

The only way that question even makes sense would be if you had to petition them to test! And from what you've told us, that's clearly not been the case—you've been waiting on their pleaure to test. So what the hell is the point of the question in the first place?

And in the second place, how does asking the question constitute a test of skills at the blue belt level? What—we now have

*forms
*techniques
*sparring
*breaking
*justifying your belief that you deserve to take a rank test

as the five cornerstones of TKD??? And the last one is so crucial that if you `blow it', none of the other skill sets are of any interest?

What a CROCK.

EXACTLY!! I especially like the ability to read the calander part!
Somtimes we'll ask a student "do you feel you passed" or something like that, so that people feel confidence in themselves. Looking for something like "YES! I did my best, and my instructor has faith in me (or wouldn't have asked me to test) and so I am confident in myself that I have passed." If someone is shaky with a response we lead them to it (did you do your best? do you trust your instructor to not set you up for failure? etc) until they realize that one belt test is not a big deal, just a small step on a larger road and they smile and say Yes sir! I feel ready for the next belt!
If it is even asked it is just a little thing, like saying "how have you improved between this belt and the last." It is by no way the "make it or break it" of the test!! That doesn't even make any sense to me at all!!

bookworm, do students often fail at tests in your school? Do you feel the isntructors set you and other students up for success (which is what I believe their job is)? In my opion a failure of a student is really the failure of the instructor. An instructor shouldn't tell a student they are ready to test if they aren't. And if an instructor thinks a student is ready who isn't, that is a lack of skill on the instructor's part. An instructor should WANT you to succed, and should be working hard to help you succeed. The student is only a reflection of the instructor.

Wow I just can't imagine failing a student over one question (especially that one!!!). Where else in life do you fail something because of one answer wrong? ESPECIALLY on a question that really has nothing to do with the material being tested over.

I am seriously floored by this..... better stop now

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Amen, Kacey—Bookworm, take what K. is telling you seriously: it's very important that you not think that you're deficient, or at fault, or that your TKD skills are genuinely below code, because of what happened. My feeling has always been that if you're not testing on a rigidly fixed schedule, your instructor's teaching responsibilities include keeping track of your progress and matching your next belt test accordingly. In the end, one of the hallmarks of a good school is that the instructors are on your side: they want to see you succeed. I don't see signs of that attitude here, from what you've told us...

Exile, you stole my comments to kacey while I was commenting on yours!

Kacey is right one! It is not your fault, you are not the problem. The problem is with the instructor. Keep training hard, keep doing what you are doing. Like I said, it is the instructor's obligation to prepare you for your test-- why else would you look to him for instruction?

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
bookworm, do students often fail at tests in your school? Do you feel the isntructors set you and other students up for success (which is what I believe their job is)?

I was wondering this as well. Another possibility: If students don't often fail tests in your school, is there any indication that you are being singled out for some B.S. reason?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering this as well. Another possibility: If students don't often fail tests in your school, is there any indication that you are being singled out for some B.S. reason?

I'm wondering the same thing:idunno:

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm wondering the same thing:idunno:

Well, my mom seems to think he's doing it to mess with my mind. OMG, he really is my "big brother"-- playing mind games is something only an extremely evil older sibling would do. OK, he REALLY sucks right now!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where else in life do you fail something because of one answer wrong?

The heart of the heart of the issue, right there. My only further qualification (again, in the spirit of the rest of Lauren's post): just how `wrong' could any answer you gave actually be? Look at the question again... what the hell would make one set of answers `right' and another `wrong'???? How can those categories even be applicable to a question such as that one???

This is a textbook example of a one-sentence rep command! And so it shall be, Lauren...

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The heart of the heart of the issue, right there. My only further qualification (again, in the spirit of the rest of Lauren's post): just how `wrong' could any answer you gave actually be? Look at the question again... what the hell would make one set of answers `right' and another `wrong'???? How can those categories even be applicable to a question such as that one???

This is a textbook example of a one-sentence rep command! And so it shall be, Lauren...

And I think YOU are right on with there not even being a "right" or "wrong" answer to this type of question. For that, I'll do my part to see what happens after the sixth star!
icon12.gif

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, my mom seems to think he's doing it to mess with my mind. OMG, he really is my "big brother"-- playing mind games is something only an extremely evil older sibling would do. OK, he REALLY sucks right now!

My older brother (senior by 7 years) used to mess with my head just to make me squirm (and cry!). I look to my instructor as a martial role model (I guess similar to how I look at my big brother) but it would never be right for him to play mind games! I mean, I guess if I was to learn something from it, get something advantageous out of it, maybe (for example if he just rides me hard all class to see how I handle the pressure, etc). But never just to be mean or "evil"...

How about you tell us more about your school. Maybe I haven't paid attention before but, are you a part of a college club (like with t-shirts and sweat pants and music)? Are you a part of a tournament school/team (lots of sparring and competitive atmosphere)? Are you at a traditional school (one main instructor, everyone in uniform, with a big focus on etiquette and philosophy, not just physical)? or something else all together. Is your instructor the "top dog" or do you test under someone even higher. If he is the only one in charge, is he young or old? None of these in and of it's self is bad, but maybe by understanding your environment more we'll better understand what you are experiencing and maybe we'll be able to relate to you better.

OP
bookworm_cn317

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
UPDATE

OK, I got an e-mail from him. He says: The question was "Are you ready for your blue belt"? And the answer is YES! your answer was "I don't know...". Please tell me you see the difference.

I don't recall saying "I don't know", I DO, however, remember saying "I think so", meaning I think I know what I'm supposed to know to pass.

Latest Discussions