Wing Chun applications in MMA or the street

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there might be a little bit of grasping involved.

Alan Orr is one of those guys I wouldn't want to train with. Just this wing chun agenda stuff. The force flow. Just all gets a bit weird for me.

guy b

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The force flow. Just all gets a bit weird for me.

I find the fact that loads of video clips are produced but none have helped to improve my understanding puts me off it as a training method. They seem to like to obscure rather than clarify. Force flow is a good example.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find the fact that loads of video clips are produced but none have helped to improve my understanding puts me off it as a training method. They seem to like to obscure rather than clarify. Force flow is a good example.

Here is your force flow.

The thing is I think he has legitimate training in spite of that. But you don't have to make everything wing chun. Underhooks for example?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had a really hard time understanding the OP video. Partly because of the echo off the cement wall behind the man speaking and partly because of his accent.

I think some of my lack of understanding might also be because his opponent/training partner seemed less of a physical match/threat than he was.

I'm just lost. Probably because I'm old.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is I think he has legitimate training in spite of that. But you don't have to make everything wing chun. Underhooks for example?

Exactly. He appears to just be looking for familiar shapes he can call Wing Chun in an MMA fight, even if the concepts are entirely different.

Underhooks look like taan-sau? Holding someone's wrist down looks like gam-sau? Okay, let's call it all Wing Chun now!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
partly because of his accent.

The echo yes but he doesn't have an accent, his English is standard BBC. He's been an actor and voiceover artist so speaks properly.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
The echo yes but he doesn't have an accent, his English is standard BBC.

That is an accent. Someone only "doesn't have an accent" when you share the same accent with them.

He's been an actor and voiceover artist so speaks properly.

Really? He's often mumbly as hell!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is an accent. Someone only "doesn't have an accent" when you share the same accent with them

Sorry, no you are incorrect. We have hundreds of accents here in the UK, and as you don't know what accent I have you can't say that I don't think he has an accent because we speak the same one. My husband who has a strong Yorkshire accent agrees that this chap speaks 'standard' English, I can hear very slightly certain intonations that give away his origins but if you can't hear what he's saying it's due to bad production values not his accent.
So which one is Alan's accent then? A tour of the British Isles in accents, The Film Programme - BBC Radio 4

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
A standard accent is still an accent. Maybe look up the definition of the word.

I can hear what he says just fine. It's just that he mumbles a lot. Some videos are better than others, but he's definitely a mumbler.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A standard accent is still an accent. Maybe look up the definition of the word.

I can hear what he says just fine. It's just that he mumbles a lot. Some videos are better than others, but he's definitely a mumbler.

LOL, perhaps you don't want to hear what he's saying. I love that you are trying to tell me about UK accents and think we all sound the same. Actually I think you'll find that accents and dialects which many of us speak here are very different from each other even within a few miles, I don't need to 'look it up' I studied it at uni. So, what 'accent' does Alan have?
I get you don't like the video but blaming 'an accent' is somewhat spurious.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never said there aren't many different accents and dialects in the UK, or that you all sound the same.

There is just no such thing as "no accent".

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a really hard time understanding the OP video. Partly because of the echo off the cement wall behind the man speaking and partly because of his accent.

I think some of my lack of understanding might also be because his opponent/training partner seemed less of a physical match/threat than he was.

I'm just lost. Probably because I'm old.
It also probably doesn't help if you aren't familiar with the WC terminology - tan sau, fook sau, bil gee, etc.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said there aren't many different accents and dialects in the UK, or that you all sound the same.

There is just no such thing as "no accent".

Actually you did :cool:
Someone only "doesn't have an accent" when you share the same accent with them.

it's still a poor excuse, if you don't like what he's doing on the video say so, don't use his 'accent' as an excuse.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
That quote doesn't say anything about there not being different accents and dialects in the UK...?

I can assume you share his accent if you think he has "no accent", or you are just calling a standard accent "no accent".

I did address issues with what he was saying in the video in my first post. I'm just commenting on you saying he has "no accent". That's unrelated to what he was actually talking about.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh, you have no idea how I speak, there is no such thing as a 'standard' accent in the UK, there is Received Pronunciation which is how the Queen speaks and then there are dialects which is what most people actually speak here, often called an accent because it's easier to. In the UK, people pronounce words differently from each other and often have different words entirely for the same thing. To say you can't understand a man because he speaks RP is odd, to say you can't understand him because of technical issues is actually the case.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh fr petes sake. He's saying he doesn't understand him because he's a mumbler.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
there is no such thing as a 'standard' accent in the UK,

Then WTF did you say your husband agrees (with you) that "this chap speaks standard English"?

there is Received Pronunciation which is how the Queen speaks and then there are dialects which is what most people actually speak here, often called an accent because it's easier to.

RP is a particular accent in spoken English.

To say you can't understand a man because he speaks RP is odd, to say you can't understand him because of technical issues is actually the case.

I didn't say I couldn't understand him for either of those reasons or even at all.

Any time I've had trouble understanding him, it's been because he mumbles. Mumblers cause their listeners problems regardless of accent.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then WTF did you say your husband agrees (with you) that "this chap speaks standard English"?

RP is a particular accent in spoken English.

I didn't say I couldn't understand him for either of those reasons or even at all.

Any time I've had trouble understanding him, it's been because he mumbles. Mumblers cause their listeners problems regardless of accent.

Lol, oh good grief, you are getting upset aren't you. Standard English isn't an accent it's RP. Pronunciation isn't an accent, it's how you pronounce words. RP is the correct way to pronounce words. :D

Latest Discussions