Lai Tong Pai

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This style is supposed to be an older ancestor of Wing Chun.

I don't know much about it other than the history that they tell. Anyone have any useful input into the accuracy of their story?

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never heard of it. The video above just looks "too close" to Wing Chun to me. I would be very cautious of invented "BS" in this case. Is there a website providing background information?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Never heard of it. The video above just looks "too close" to Wing Chun to me. I would be very cautious of invented "BS" in this case. Is there a website providing background information?

It looks like a bunch of random disconnected moves from sloppy Yip Man WC with some random long fist moves thrown in to me.

Edit:

Hold on...Bald guy with a red shirt. Is this the same guy that was pretending to do Pan Nam Wing Chun, then started copying Lam Yan's forms and then saying he practiced Weng Chun while stealing Hung Fa Yi's lineage history straight from their website?

Last edited:
OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Last edited:

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Let's talk about this long pole form:

I'm calling Bullshido.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It looks like a bunch of random disconnected moves from sloppy Yip Man WC with some random long fist moves thrown in to me.

Edit:

Hold on...Bald guy with a red shirt. Is this the same guy that was pretending to do Pan Nam Wing Chun, then started copying Lam Yan's forms and then saying he practiced Weng Chun while stealing Hung Fa Yi's lineage history straight from their website?
Lol, no not the same fellow. You're thinking of Chris Arnold.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lai Tung Pai Lineage - Lai Tung Pai Lineage | |... | minthillmartialarts.com | Lineage, Pai, Tung, Lai, | minthillmartialarts.com

Here is their website. Their listed lineage goes back a few generations. Even if it is a newer creation, say less than 100 years old, it is an interesting look into how martial methods are/we're viewed by village practitioners.

Thanks. Not much real info there. I did see this though:

We teach Lai Tung Pai as well as Wing Chun, Tai Chi Chuan and Hsing Yi. We hope this site provides some insight into the programs we offer.

Uh..yeah. I'm still skeptical. ;)

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
One question since chinese history is not my strong suite.

Why would a secretive shaolin style such as Lai Tung Pai have integrated lion dancing? After all it was not taught to anyone outside the temple until around 1950's and even then only to one person and his son. In addition it seems even in its time at the temple it was not taught to many.

So my question then is this, how can it integrate lion dancing as an important part?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I get a modern, eclectic "kung-fuey" vibe with a lot of WC movements. The recent history really hangs on stories related by one guy named Kong Hoi in Hong Kong. The claims that he learned a secret art at the Hoi Tung Temple (drawn from Hung gar practitioner Lam Tsai Wing's wuxia novels) are a stretch. The earlier history is typical southern Chinese wuxia fiction. And now some American guy claims to be the successor of this style?

It's hard enough to separate fact from fiction when dealing with established lineages. I admit I tend to be very skeptical when I come across stuff like this.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One question since chinese history is not my strong suite.

Why would a secretive shaolin style such as Lai Tung Pai have integrated lion dancing? After all it was not taught to anyone outside the temple until around 1950's and even then only to one person and his son. In addition it seems even in its time at the temple it was not taught to many.

So my question then is this, how can it integrate lion dancing as an important part?
Good question.

OP
N

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I get a modern, eclectic "kung-fuey" vibe with a lot of WC movements. The recent history really hangs on stories related by one guy named Kong Hoi in Hong Kong. The claims that he learned a secret art at the Hoi Tung Temple (drawn from Hung gar practitioner Lam Tsai Wing's wuxia novels) are a stretch. The earlier history is typical southern Chinese wuxia fiction. And now some American guy claims to be the successor of this style?

It's hard enough to separate fact from fiction when dealing with established lineages. I admit I tend to be very skeptical when I come across stuff like this.
Yup, not saying it isn't a legitimate system, but it's a mish mash of several arts. Reminds me of the Lau Gar out of England. Unverifiable history, obvious incoherent blending of several styles etc. Though that is a popular thing to do in a lot of villages, too hard to extrapolate what is what.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Reserving judgement until Sergio's endorsement...

...and later retraction.

Latest Discussions