Why TKD?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did you choose TKD as your martial art? What did/do you expect out of the art? What are your goals in the art? Has it met your expectations and/or would you change anything about the art if you could?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im going to answer this twice. Ill explain after ive done that.
But basically, originally was when i first ever started, and now is a bit more recent.

Originally:
Why did you choose TKD as your martial art?
It was a choice between TKD, Shotokan, Judo, Boxing, Kickboxing, or Muay Thai, where I was living. Of those, the Shotokan place was poorly run at best, and the Kickboxing and Muay Thai places shared the issue of having their classes right when Id be working. So I picked TKD. At one point, I did some Boxing as well.
What did/do you expect out of the art?
Bluntly, capability in Self Defense.
What are your goals in the art?
Same as the expectation.
Has it met your expectations and/or would you change anything about the art if you could?
Its complicated. It did give Me the means by which to get to that, but the problem was that at the time, I had nothing to compare it too, and assumed what I was doing was standard. The longer I did it, the more I begun to notice flaws in the quality of instruction. However, there was enough sound about it for that to be ok, since I had no better options at the time. Id change plenty about it, but again, that was in the way it was being taught, and not what was being taught. Most of My skill simply came from being somewhat fitter, which made Me more able to do what They were preaching, rather than becoming better at it itself, if that makes sense. And then I realised that most of that came from Me getting bored through the day and working out at home. But once more: I didnt know any better at the time, hence why I stuck with it, despite developing My own opinions along the way. So it met My expectations as They were at the time. Then it didnt, when I understood what those expectations meant a bit better.

Before I move on, a few months ago I moved to a different town, which is why I thought it might be interesting to answer this in two parts, to show how one can alter over time.

Presently:
After looking at everything here, it was the best equipped outlet available, and I didnt much like the... How would one put it... Approaches? Of the other systems I went and had a look at. So I gave it a go.
Capability in Self Defense, and Fitness.
To get Fitter, to develop capability in Fighting, and because Ive found that Competition is quite fun so long as it isnt the main focus of training.
Has it met your expectations and/or would you change anything about the art if you could?
Yes. The only thing Id change is that Id have the classes one hour earlier, so it wouldnt interfere with when I eat dinner on non-training days.

I considered making a thread about this, and how Your expectations and goals with training can change significantly over time, as well as Your understanding of what it is Youre doing, to the point that looking back, You wonder how You didnt know what You were missing out on. But Youve given Me a much better means by which to communicate that, or at least My experience with the subject.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why did you choose TKD as your martial art? What did/do you expect out of the art? What are your goals in the art? Has it met your expectations and/or would you change anything about the art if you could?

1 - I tried judo when I was about 20 years old ( am 43 now ) and although it was 'fine'...it didn't light me up the way TKD does. Going to judo practice felt like an obligation and going to TKD practice feels like a gift. I tried TKD because it looked like a demo when I was a kid and I had told myself then that it was something that someday, I would try.

2 - I expected to be challenged in TKD and thankfully - those challenges are continual and consistent!! I absolutely love learning more and more and being able to pass that on to others is a great feeling!!

3 - My goals in TKD include training as long as I'm physically able to train and representing myself and my dojang to the best of my ability. My next short term goal is to earn Gold in sparring at my school's next intra-school tournament.

4 - I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING!!!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
To be honest I thought all martial arts were the same, just with different asian sounding names (despite doing shotokan as an early teenager). I really had no intentions of doing a martial art but a mate and I had made a pact to put our kids into martial arts when they turned six. We chose a club in our area with a good reputation where many of our school mates had gone when we were younger (my mate and I also lived in the same sreet when we were kids and the GM of this club lived in the same street and was known as a very good martial artist). So we chose tkd and did the first class with our kids to help ease them into it, only to realise the kids were just too young and we both loved it and have trained ever since. To be blunt, we chose martial arts 90% for self defence, the fitness and flexibility and the social side are all great but if thats all we were chasing I think we would have chosen to go to the gym or joined a tennis club. I love the art of tkd and wouldnt change a thing (provided its taught correctly), I honestly believe that if my mate and I had chosen a more sport oriented form of tkd we both would have lasted only a couple of weeks. I have nothing against the sport side but its just not what we were looking for. The thing I really like about tkd is the kicking, as long as its in ratio to other attacks taught. I certainly dont agree with just kicking for an hour each lesson. Its only when I spar people of different arts that I realise just how fast, accurate and powerful tkd kicks are, unless you are trained to defend them you just wont see them coming, and the exxtra distance and unpredictability they add is just a huge advantage in my opinion.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I studied TKD because Billy Blanks moved to town and taught it. I wanted to train with him. I was a seasoned black belt but I expected to become a better Martial Artist, and I did. (not much choice, really, he was very good and very "old school" at that point in time.)

It was a win win situation for.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why did you choose TKD as your martial art? It is the only option currently at my location, there are 4 schools all Tae Kwon Do and I just went with what I felt was the best of the 4.

What did/do you expect out of the art? I wasn't sure what to expect, I had started studying back up after an extended break so basically I just wanted to get back into it and improve my fitness/flexability. Ultimately my goals are to improve on my self defense skills.

What are your goals in the art? Well now that I'm back studying I'm hoping to continue to study as long as my body holds out. As far as rank goes I'll go as high as I can, not that I too concerned with that.

It has met my expectations so far I have great instructors that continually challenge me, I don't know if I would honestly change anything but I wouldn't mind studying BJJ on top of the TKD to get better with grappling.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Nice topic.

I did not chose TKD, I think TKD Chosed me. When I was a teen and seeking for a martial art to train I hadn't a clue about martial arts, the only thing I knew was Bruce Lee did Kung Fu and only Judo, Kung Fu and Karate existed and nothing else, my town was a not large one and I went to a kung fu school but don't liked, not the art but the sensei or sifu and his way of teaching, so good friend of mine knew I wanted to do karate and she intoruce me his sambonim, in those days TKD was an unpronunceable word and nobody knew a thing of it so it was called Korean karate those days so I was learning Karate.

The sambonim was (is) a good one and liked a lot, the dojang was a samll one but full of students, the instructioin was very good and quite franklly Jido Kwan was the number one in my city.

I expected of TKD/Korean Karate to teach me how to overcome a fight and how to manage a bad a.... situation about self defense, I wanted to be a person who could defend myself if need it, I am talking about bulliying in the high school and to get confidence in myself, also i wanted to do workout and be stroinger.

In those yourger years TKD meet my expections, but remeber I was a teen and the program from 10 kup to Sho-Dan weas very fine, I was a blue belt if I recall when TKD was presented to the world in the 1988 olimpci Games and I thought I was wonderful.

My gols those days were to become a nice kicker and over the years become a certified black belt and own my own dojang.

As a teen TKD met my expectations but as I grew up, colllege, friends, parties and other things slowly aparted me from TKD, maybe TKD become booring and leave TKD evetually.

Right now wiht all the whistles and bells about TKD in the competion arena, the olimpics, international championships, etc,etc sadly all tkd is focus in sport TKD and left the clasic TKD besides, right now most of the dojangs in my town are filled with children and teens and the teaching is for the part of the people, so the training is all about kicking and maybe a little poomsae but the self defense is absent. Yes I know the complete program must have everithing from basics,poomsae,kyorugy,tec,etc but ..... you all know me I am a self defense freak.

Right now, for me.... TKD dose not fill me up, for that matters now I am exchanging with other martial arts like aikido and karate trying to fill some voids.

What would I change about TKD? it's a hard question, I think TKD has almost anything but I will change the perception of TKD for men/women to be only a Olimpic Sport and will focus on the things thaat for me are more desireable, and you know what I am talking about.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I learned TKD because it was the only martial art taught in the town I grew up in, though there were several TKD schools. There was a boxing gym but to an adolescent it wasn't cool. My dad put me into TKD because I got into a few scrapes back then, and we were both looking for me to learn how to defend myself against bigger, meaner kids. (Yeah, I know, not exactly life and death stuff, but I got exactly what I needed at the time.)

I gravitated to other martial arts because of what I perceived were flaws in the style. They were the usual complaints about training that was too directed towards tournament competition along with a strong dislike for how my teacher taught forms. But I now realize that was more about me and my instructor at the time and I have reconciled with my old friend Taekwondo though I remain a strong adherent of the other arts as well.

I now own a commercial TKD dojang and I enjoy it immensely. My goals? To continue to operate my school in a fashion that benefits my students physically in this age of obesity and low exercise while making a good living for my family. To teach the students that want to learn martial arts seriously to the depth and rigor they deserve. Oh, and I'd like to earn a fifth dan eventually.

As for changing things... I don't really think of it in that way anymore. I don't believe the term TKD is a limited one, where I must change something about it in order to teach what I want. To me, TKD is more of an umbrella concept, essentially a Korean cultural overlay over a kicking and striking art with plenty of grappling blended in. I don't have to change anything because what I want to teach was always there, though perhaps not always taught (like with my first TKD instructor for example).

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score

Originally, I joined Taekwo-Do as an activity to do with my dad when I was 10. I lasted a few months, tested for 9th gup and quit after less than a year. I hated it. The training was very hard and children were expected to do the same thing as the adults (except the breaking). I couldn't stand it.

When I Was 15 a friend of mine told me about how he was doing Judo and showed me a few sweeps and throws. At that point I thought, "If he can do a martial art, I certainly can!" (Besides, Five Fingers of Death still had me intrigued about the whole martial arts thing.) A couple weeks later I signed up for Taekwon-Do again at the same school. The training was still hard, and there were plenty of times where I thought to myself, "Why am I doing this again?" but there was something about it that I really liked. I wouldn't say I "enjoyed" training, but I liked what I got out of it. The rest is, as they say, history.

I expected to be able to defend myself.

At this point? To continue to refine the skills I have now, to keep trying to put the Tenets and philosophy of Taekwon-Do into practice in my daily life, and to be a good student.

It has met my expectations and more. I certainly wouldn't change anything about Taekwon-Do. It's not mine to change. I suppose another goal besides the ones I listed above would be to learn Taekwon-Do as closely as Gen. Choi designed it and as GM Choi, Jung Hwa is passing it on (FWIW, IMHO, GM Choi is the closest thing to a successor in Taekwon-Do that I recognize so any changes made to the art are his prerogative, not mine. If other people think they are qualified to make changes in the art they practice more power to them.)

Pax,

Chris

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I started at age 16, I wanted self-defense skills and the confidence from developing them. I explored the arts and instructors available within the area I could drive with the family car and afford gas for, and chose the best one. It changed my life and focus, and became both focus and discipline. When I left it I missed it, so it was a natural to return when I found an instructor from whom I wanted to learn.
What did/do you expect out of the art? What are your goals in the art?
I expected to develop skills and athleticism, and I continue to refine those with now the challenges of aging. I didn't know I would find a way of life, but that's what it's turned into. My training is both physical and mental. As I train, teach and coach, I learn more and more about martial movement--using the body to generate power, and about martial mind--thinking and acting to "win" with or without crossing hands. My goals in the art are: 1) to keep training my body and mind as I age; 2) to increase my skill in managing situations so that my actions are positive, decisive, and appropriate; and 3) to share the enjoyment of learning the art that continues to transform me.
Yes it has met my expectations, probably because I see it as a set of tools (toys!) and skills(games!) to explore ever deeper. Training and testing does not end. Even a paintbrush can be used in so many different ways that one person could not master it all. I would rather train and learn than define boundaries of what it is or is not. Training changes you as you discover and change your mind and body. Can a carpenter learn to paint or finish wood and still be a carpenter? Of course. Learning skills from other arts doesn't diminish Taekwondo; it broadens the student.

Nice question.
Carl

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kong Soo Do....do you do TKD I am not clear on that...how would you answer your question?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Purely by accident. I didn't know one art from another. It was the closest school to my house that would take my son who has CP.
Not much..a little PT for my son, then a little exercise for me when I decided to join him.
I no longer have goals. It's as ingrained in me as I am in it.
Far exceeded my expectations. No I would not change anything. It's enough to try and keep up. :)

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score

My Nephew actually started and my sister asked if I could take him one week and so I said I would. At this point I'd been 4 years out of training (originally Tang Soo Do) And would you believe that I knew nothing about Taekwondo? I'd heard the name before, but at that point that's all it was. The instruction was good so I joined my nephew.

Nothing more than good effective technique. Effective for what I couldn't say back then, but now I'd say effective for mixed art competitions (not to be confused with MMA) and effective for self defense.

Just to do the very best I can do. Martial Arts are so ingrained into my being now that I don't really have specific goals any more.

Yes it has, my technique is strong, my flexibility is improving week on week, my fitness is at an all time high. I wouldn't change anything.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't. I was a 7 year old Air Force Brat with a temper. Taekwon-Do is what was being taught on base.

When I returned after a 20+ year break, I chose TKD for several reasons, including availability and familiarity.

Seven year old don't really have goals or expectations, unless you count wanting to be Superman. :) My mothers expectation was that it would help me to develop some self-control and an outlet. It worked.

To learn as much as I can, and to share what I learn with others.

I wouldn't change anything fundamental. I might like to see changes in some ORG issues (such as the WTF sparring ruleset) but not the ART.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kong Soo Do....do you do TKD I am not clear on that...how would you answer your question?

Yes sir, I have studied TKD and hold Dan rank. Let's see;

TKD wasn't my original art. In fact, I trained many years in other arts before TKD. The reason I considered TKD as a viable art for me was due solely to my instructor. He was retired L.E. and since I'm still active there was that 'bond-in-blue'. The way he taught TKD was very old-school, very hard core and no nonsense. Very close to my previous training in overall function. So it was a natural fit.

For me, pure useable self-defense since this is what I rely on for daily use in my career. As mentioned above, the way TKD was taught to me, it simply fit the bill in that regard.

KSD basically equals old school TKD as far as SD in concerned. Or perhaps a more familiar example for some would be TKD + HKD = KSD. My goal would be to continue to personally explore all it has to offer while passing this on to the next generation(s).

For me personally, given the venue of TKD I was exposed to I would say yes it have definitely met my expectations. What would I change? Hmm...I feel that kata and forms contain a wealth of information beyond just striking and kicking. I very much feel that TKD, in general, could be viewed as an art that goes beyond strikes and kick and in many ways could resemble Hapkido. I see that as a plus for TKD and not a threat to TKD. I'd like to see more TKD schools become open to those possibilities and concepts (if the interest extends beyond sport of course. If the school is focused on sport then they really wouldn't need such a frame work).

And thanks to everyone that has given your thoughts (or continue to give their thoughts) :)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kong Soo Do...

We have some common ground my son's ultimate goal is to become a police officer. He is going to join the National Gaurd in Nevada they have a great program for college.. UNlV has a good criminal justice program...a career in Law Enforcement is not what I want for him but will support him in whatever he does...he is going to join the explorer program when he turns 16....

Now I understand your absolute focus on self defense... It makes more since now!

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score

That's where my parents dropped me off when I was a kid. ;-)

Back when I was a kid I didn't really had any expectations. Maybe I expected not to get my *** kicked by other kids. ^^ These days I just expect to stay healthy and in good shape. Plus to feel good during and after training.

Staying in shape and staying healthy. And making progress, physically as well as mentally.

I'd say yes since I'm in better shape now than I was during my non-TKD days. Oh, and it saved me from getting my *** kicked a couple of times when I was a kid. There's nothing that would need to be changed, IMO. Only the way some people train may not suit some other people's needs, but to each their own.

shinobi_ken

White Belt
Reaction score
1.) I chose TKD because it was the only martial art in town that I saw enough discipline and comradeship in.
2.) I didn't expect to gain a whole lot from TKD only because I didn't know much about the art. I had studied martial arts that are
mostly japanese and chinese so to me TKD seemed more american then korean. I thought of it more as a sport then an art. I was WRONG!
3.) My goal is to become a Master and teach not only the art for it's physical aspects but also for it's psychological. I believe that to be a well rounded martial art, it needs to focus on Mind, Body, and Spirit/Soul.
4.)This school has far more then met my expectations and I believe it's still to early to think about changing anything!!!

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kong Soo Do...

We have some common ground my son's ultimate goal is to become a police officer. He is going to join the National Gaurd in Nevada they have a great program for college.. UNlV has a good criminal justice program...a career in Law Enforcement is not what I want for him but will support him in whatever he does...he is going to join the explorer program when he turns 16....

Now I understand your absolute focus on self defense... It makes more since now!

All my best to your son in his goals. If I had any advice to offer, it would absolutely be to maintain a very clean diet and exercise program of some sort. First responders (L.E., Corrections, Firefighters, EMT etc) by nature have shift work which can often be long in duration. And traditionally, eating choices suffer as a result. This becomes a big deal as you get older due in large part to the stress we live with. The diet will help maintain health of course, but an exercise program (which consists of cardio and resistance such as weight training) is a must to relieve this stress. We all like to be macho and say it doesn't affect us...but it does.

In regards to SD, yes, I suppose I do get pretty strong on that from time to time. My intention is always positive. If one wishes to pursue the arts as a hobby, for a health benefit, competition, social outlet etc then thumbs up and more power to them. I suppose my pet-peeve is when a segment of the art designed for one goal claims to cover another goal. Can you imagine your son trying to arrest or defend himself using many things taught in certain venues of the arts? Particularly when one considers what we have to wear; body armor, in my case Glock 21 .45ACP with two mags, taser w/extra cartridge, cuffs, O.C. spray, MTM mask kit, flashlight, 911 tool, radio plus a few extras. That is a lot of extra weight! Now imagine your 10 hours into a 12 hour shift and it just hit the fan with your pulse/BP shooting through the roof and an adrenaline dump affecting your refined skills!

Anyway, on the plus side, we have waaayyyyy more tools than when I started to help keep us safe. When I started I had a .38 special with 6 rounds and NO speed loaders. I was lucky if I had a hand-held radio that worked and I wasn't even issued cuffs until two years later. We HAD to know how to fight back then, and fight well as our only choices were shoot em or fight em. Which brings up one other point to consider, make sure he knows good solid SD! I see too many rookies (I'm an instructor for D.T. and firearms) who become to dependent on the tools on their batman belt (which like anything can fail) and forget good ole fashioned hands on. I'm probably not inspiring your confidence in his choice, but maybe it is better to see the big picture to better prepare for it???

Best of luck to him :)

And sorry for the bit of thread drift, thought it was important.

Latest Discussions