how do you suppliment your TKD

aplonis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In our organization the GM has a saying, "If it worked on me yesterday it's Tae Kwon Do today." So students here supplement their TKD with whatever any fellow student brings to the class.

I had formerly taken Hakko Ryu Jujutsu and I enjoy to share such as I still remember from that. I had been taking Takeda-ha Aikijujutsu but the instructor insisted upon utter secrecy for whatever he taught us. It was further laden with an impenetrable layer of obvious BS about the GM and his martial prowess against assassins at the tender age of 10. These "core values" I might have pretended to tollerate for the sake of learning the art, but not if I was forbidden to share it. So I bailed out from that class and good riddance.

Another of the BBs in our own org studies BJJ. Another does similar in Aikido. Both their inputs help to make our TKD, as I see it, traditional-plus.

That is to say, we have as much traditional TKD as do most schools here in the West...plus some extra goodies thrown in. I like it that way. What need to supplement elsewhere? I probably will take a judo or other course for the sake of variety...after I earn my own BB (next September maybe?). Until then I expect to be busy.

Z

Zorba

i supplement my TKD with shotokan. They are similar enuf so that i dont start doing tkd moves at karate and vice versa, but different enuf to be worth while doing. at my tkd, we do a lot of hi speed, hi intensity work, kicking etc etc, while at karate we do a lot of self defnce, hand work and takedowns. still want to do grappling and weapons too.

i also have started to get interested in seminars (went to a dan inosanto one which blew my mind and really got me back in to the MA world in a big way) and also buying magazines with different SD techniques and stuff i can try.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
"If it worked on me yesterday it's Tae Kwon Do today."

I like that attitude

Another of the BBs in our own org studies BJJ. Another does similar in Aikido. Both their inputs help to make our TKD, as I see it, traditional-plus.

Much of my motivation for learning BJJ is to learn to agument my TKD with some extra techniques and such, but a lot to understand how a takedown/grappling person is going to attack and try to fight me so I can use my stronger TKD skills to stop it

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I see alot of people supplement their TKD with good thing from BJJ to Aikido to Kenpo.
I decided to add Shoalin Kung Fu to mine. I had the opportunity to take private lessons and decided that I couldnt pass it up. It works well for me. I use my kicks for distance and when I am close I end up using the kung fu for hands. I have noticed though the Kung Fu takes a lot more time to study and work on than my TKD though.
I still want to take up Wing Chun tho for more in depth work.
I need to find more school that teach Wing Chun so I can which school is the best for me.

Latest Discussions