Why the hate between TMA and MMA?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apart from friends and colleagues killed in action over the years, two who remain in my mind were martial arts students of mine, both killed in Afghanistan, one shot, one blown up. One was 20 the other 22 and newly married. They deserved to grow old, to watch their grandchildren and to die of old age not the way they did.
Growing old is a privilege not everyone has, everyone has someone in their family who has been taken too soon, to whinge about dying in old age is to misunderstand how lucky you are to grow old.

So complaining about getting old is a slap in the face to every person who ever died young?

you had better start jumping on a lot of posters then.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So complaining about getting old is a slap in the face to every person who ever died young?

I want to be clear that I completely understand what @Tez3 is saying and agree with her that far too many are taken young. But people complain (good naturedly) about getting older all the time. CB Jones was just lamenting that he was turning 40. I don't think he received quite the same response.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Tez3 , sometimes, you say some really mean things for no reason I can fathom.
Steve... did you miss FR's comment to Ironbear about shirt size? That'd go in the same category, imo. I mean, XXXLL? Really?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't know. If that were said to me in would have taken it as good natured ribbing. Not the same. Just my read.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know. If that were said to me in would have taken it as good natured ribbing. Not the same. Just my read.

It's an obvious weight joke, something he did before as well. I get if you want jump on tez for something, but ignoring the blatant obvious is just pointless. How can that possibly be in good jest?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have, too, but that's us... but it was just inconsistent. But, as you said, that's probably only my read but Ironbear's post sort of leans my way.

I'd say it's because she's a she and she's are meaner than he's and run with that. Run, particularly, away from Tez when she reads my blatantly sexist comment even though girls are winning.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then you are a fool, I know of too many young people whose lives were cut short and deserved to die of old age not cut down in their prime.

Damn bro, relax, I didn't mean to hit a sore spot.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's an obvious weight joke, something he did before as well. I get if you want jump on tez for something, but ignoring the blatant obvious is just pointless. How can that possibly be in good jest?
I didn't know you were struggling with your weight. If so, you're right. I don't think it's the same, but certainly, if it was intended as an insult, then it's not okay.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

He tries hard, especially when that came out of nowhere. Don't even dare talk about "women's rape defense" with that guy neither. :p

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Steve... did you miss FR's comment to Ironbear about shirt size? That'd go in the same category, imo. I mean, XXXLL? Really?

Oh so he can say something towards me, hypocrite? What's the big deal anyway? WWIII spark or something?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Oh no you misunderstood. Not lamenting.....getting older doesn't bother me at all.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure that I'm immortal.....at least that is what I'm going with until proven wrong. ;)
well, good luck with that. My point is, when you go out of your way looking for offense, it's easy to twist things around.

I'm kind of surprised you guys think what she said wasn't mean. Maybe I really can't tell the difference between mean and funny. :)

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might know this or you might not... I had to find out this way too...

Tez3 is not a "Bro." And not because She" is English, either.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Goodness, you said something towards me. I thought we were just having fun.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not nor ever will be your bro. Sore spot yes in some ways in other ways it's you. Your posts seem designed to get to annoy people, you've upset many on the thread about the US combatives by disrespecting the American Marines and service people ( not my words by the words but of quite a few of the posters, it's also my opinion though), that's never going to go down well. Your posts have a sneering quality about them.
Last week was Yom Ha'Shoah , my mother was the only survivor of a big Dutch family who were in the camps. Then it was memorial of one of my students, then it was Yom Hazikaron, yesterday. We are blessed if we get old, to die young is to die unfulfilled and unfulfilling.

As for the rape comments, I have had to deal with the aftermath of a few rapes, the investigation, the court cases and the lasting damage it does to people ( one was a male victim) some people are destroyed by it and one victim killed herself so yes I get pretty fierce. I don't want anyone else to get hurt, which you may think unrealistic being a 'smart' guy but it's an ideal and without ideals we are nothing. We are the sum of our experiences and people's ignorant throwaway lines that they think are smart, well, they just aren't.

On the subject of styles, all styles work, all are useful and effective however the human factor means that mistakes, ego, misunderstandings and often sheer stupidity get in the way so styles get watered down, bragged about and generally buggered about, instead of blaming styles look to the instructors and coaches. BJJ and MMA can be as badly taught as any other style, I 've seen it. There is no one panacea that gives protection, no magic style so get over it, get old disgracefully and..... Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their words had forked no lightning they Do not go gentle into that good night. ( Dylan Thomas)

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm forced to disagree with Tez here. Styles like Bjj, Muay Thai, and MMA in general have a lower chance of being taught poorly because there is a standard to adhere to and practitioners of those styles tend to travel around to other gyms to practice with other people.

Can these styles be taught poorly? Sure. However, its going to occur at a much lower rate than a random Karate or Kung Fu school, because they're more than likely training in a vacuum.

Latest Discussions