Why the hate between TMA and MMA?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mmnhm ... not sure about that one.
Popular diet theory debunked

Key phrase in that - "The book was a New York Times best-seller that has been translated into 52 languages and sold over 7 million copies."

The scary thing, to me anyway, is, pretty much everyone over the age of twelve, knows what healthy nutrition is.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup, I was right

giphy.gif

well they're trying hard to get the thread closed.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so many arts. Sounds cool.
It's just getting old that does it. Get up each day, look at the calendar, it is a training day, grab the gear bag or the judogi bag, whichever, and head off to the gym, training hall, dojo or wherever and get that day's training in. Day after day after day after week after week after year after year after decade. You look down and you have your first black belt and you remember that when you look down and the black belt is old, worn, frayed and not black anymore but gray.... and you wonder... I'm still doing this... and I've still got so very much to learn...

It IS cool, though. You're on your way, too.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sincerely hope you guys are smiling as you type those posts, because from the sideline, it makes me smile to read it. As @Tez3 always says, I'm reading this as friendly back and forth, like "mates" (not in the American sense)... taking the piss with each other... errr... that just seems wrong, but whatever. :D
Agreed on the taking the piss comment.... I've a buddy from Nottingham England who was just talking and he hit me with that once while we were talking and he didn't prepare me for it. My face must have screwed up or something because he just trailed off... and was... "What?" Then the conversation took a sudden left turn into conversational sayings, such as "When you get off of the plane in England, don't tell someone your fanny hurts."

Tez may have just shot coffee out her nose, we need to check.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that was with the ladies doing cardio work only, right old man?
Touche'! Well played.

And of course it was... Who wants to do heavy bag work when those hotties in thongs are in their step class anyway?

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly that does not seem to be true, I see what my kids friends eat...and what my co-workers eat too.
Knowing what good nutrition is, and choosing to eat the good nutrition, are not the same thing though...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez may have just shot coffee out her nose, we need to check.

oh good grief, you're right of course! :) and don't say you are carrying a fanny bag! You can say you are fannying around through, not rude, go figure.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but I still doubt, with all the conflicting info out there, that many have the slightest clue as to what makes up good nutrition.
My wife is getting on the ketogenic diet kick. She's in great shape, which I ascribe to the "Eat Clean" diet thing she normally does, Tasca Reno's book. Tosca?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife is getting on the ketogenic diet kick. She's in great shape, which I ascribe to the "Eat Clean" diet thing she normally does, Tasca Reno's book. Tosca?

Our guys are all on ketogenic. But they were not fatties to start with.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's just getting old that does it. Get up each day, look at the calendar, it is a training day, grab the gear bag or the judogi bag, whichever, and head off to the gym, training hall, dojo or wherever and get that day's training in. Day after day after day after week after week after year after year after decade. You look down and you have your first black belt and you remember that when you look down and the black belt is old, worn, frayed and not black anymore but gray.... and you wonder... I'm still doing this... and I've still got so very much to learn...

It IS cool, though. You're on your way, too.

Wow. Thanks.

eddiecharette

White Belt
Reaction score
The
It's funny, I was just now having a debate with someone on youtube (I know, I'm ashamed of it myself) about MMA vs TMA, where the other person was pretty much saying that TMA is useless because they spend their time practising forms instead of fighting a real opponent. I pointed out that the basic forms I practice in my TMA system are no different than the solo drills MMA fighters practice. I've seen plenty of MMA fighters walking backwards and forwards throwing basic punches as a solo drill, and guess what my first form consists of? Walking backwards and forwards throwing basic punches. They are the same.

Unfortunately I feel that a lot of MMA fighters watch the movies and the Wushu competitions and think that those accurately represent TMA forms, when they don't in the slightest. It's like watching a James Bond movie and thinking that is what being in an intelligence service is all about....
I totally agree with what you said about James Bond movies. the common perception abput intelligence services is what 007 does

Latest Discussions