Why is it that Budo Taijutsu attracts so many law enforcement & military people?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
I actually doubt that people plan that far ahead before beginning training in any martial art, professionals or not.

Maybe, maybe not. For a new person, probably not. Many of the professionals that train in Budo Taijutsu that I know have trained in other arts before and I believe this is something that they are looking for.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

SAMurai9964

White Belt
Reaction score
Just a few thoughs on the topic at hand:

I think that professional defenders (soldier, polices officer, security etc.) are attracted to martial arts in general. In many cases the american mind set about martial arts is that: if you train at any MA school you will know how to fight well. For those of us who have beeing training for a few years, we kow this is not the case. For those of us who began our journey in a martial art like Karate or Tae kwon do, from a real combat standpoint we felt there was something missing. The moving meditation aspects of those martial arts while appealing from a spiritual and mental standpoint, they unfortunately take a while for actual combat compentance. Besides Funakoshi looked down on sparring and fighting and blah blah... boring history lesson...( not that it's unimportant,but I digress). Anyway, Some practisioners look to fill holes in their previous training, or find something that they feel is more practical. Martial arts like Systema, Krav maga, mma, budo taijutsu in all it's forms, be it Bujinkan, Jizaikan, Genbukan or To-shin-do are designed so that a high level of combat compentence can be aquired at a quicker pace than some other martial arts. which from makes sense. What good does it do an army if their fight training takes a while to be come competant fighters, they run out of soldiers really quick.

I also feel that Budo taijutsu itself is appealing because of it's link with ninjutsu. As we all know the romanticism of the ninja can be an excellent sellign point, for either a school or an individual. At least It was for me in the beginning. That is why i started training in karate, becasue I wanted to be a ninja. i was told that ninja training didn't exsist anymore. besides at 8 years old in suburban chicago, with ex hippy parents how was I to know the difference. I'm sure many of you are looking back and thinking the same thing.

Of course we grow and mature, and our understandings of the world change, we go on trainng and working hard. Then some years later... we find out that a school that teaches ninjutsu actually exists, and is is right behind your old high school, then all these child hood memories and dreams come back, and we have to check it out. Again we start training and through hard training our childhood misconceptions are hopefully ironed out, and we are mystified by the truth which is almost more amazing in some cases then the legends we had come to dismiss.

I guess what I 'm trying to say is that even professional defenders, may still deep down want to be a ninja when they grow up.

Sorry, I'm kind of long winded, thank you for your time:asian:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess what I 'm trying to say is that even professional defenders, may still deep down want to be a ninja when they grow up.

You may have a point. I just had an experience with someone introducing themselves who just had to let everyone know his experience in an elite military unit. As far as I can tell, his experiences has no relevance to ninjutsu and certainly not to the conversation we were having at the time about a Japanese term and history. And yet, he felt the need to let everyone know that he used to be in the military.

budoboy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don,

I'm assuming the guy was new and just wanted to establish that he wasn't a dweeb. This shows a little insecurity on his part though.

I've also run into a certain cult (or should I say group) within the Bujinkan which will act very aloof towards you until they find out you are military or police. Then they are your best buddies. That is crap too. Everyone has experiences and many things to offer the group.

Jeff

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
budoboy said:
Don,

I'm assuming the guy was new and just wanted to establish that he wasn't a dweeb. This shows a little insecurity on his part though.

I've also run into a certain cult (or should I say group) within the Bujinkan which will act very aloof towards you until they find out you are military or police. Then they are your best buddies. That is crap too. Everyone has experiences and many things to offer the group.

Jeff

I am pretty sure I know which group you are talking about! (like 99.9% sure)

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com