a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarakoboshi

White Belt
Reaction score
hi, i am interest to know if anybody ave any kind of information of a TARAKO BOSHI, if you have heard about that weapon or about anythin ralated to it i love to know.
thanks

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like someone is having a bit of fun.

I went ahead and checked with the encyclopedia of Japanese martial arts put out by Sasama and there was nothing listed that was even close. That pretty much shoots down the idea that is could be a Japanese weapon as far as I am concerned.

Also, the name is really strange. It would seem to be a combination of Tarako and Ume Boshi. That is cod roe and pickled plums.

Sounds like someone is pulling your leg.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Also, the name is really strange. It would seem to be a combination of Tarako and Ume Boshi. That is cod roe and pickled plums.

Heh. Both of which could do a mighty good job at grossing out some unsuspecting and less-enlightened westerners. Maybe it could be used as a weapon after all. :D :D

OP
T

tarakoboshi

White Belt
Reaction score
it is in fact a weapon. what is separately tarako and ume boshi?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tarakoboshi said:
it is in fact a weapon.

Not a Japanese one. Trust me on this. Someone may have made one up and tried to give it a Japanese sounding name, but no one with real knowledge of Japanese would give that name to something. It sounds silly to a native speaker's ear. Tarako is cod roe- a very disgusting food item in Japan that my family loves.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Not a Japanese one. Trust me on this. Someone may have made one up and tried to give it a Japanese sounding name, but no one with real knowledge of Japanese would give that name to something. It sounds silly to a native speaker's ear. Tarako is cod roe- a very disgusting food item in Japan that my family loves.

When Sushi Menus Attack!!!

EDIT:

Just as an aside, the -ko suffix on a Japanese word is something that is associated with the feminine. Girls names, for example: Emiko, Etsuko.

Tara in Japanese means Cod/Codfish

Tarako refers to the eggs of female Cod/Codfish.....eggs can only come from female species.

These are are not new words to the Japanese vocabluary.

Also given Japanese culture and its past...uh...decidedly male dominance, I'm having trouble envisioning where anything related to a warrior or a weapon would be given a -ko suffix to the word. There was nothing feminine to that segment of history at all.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heh. Anyone see Tarakoboshi's profile? He's a 15 dan.

Must hang with Adrian Roman, the 27th degree black in Kenpo ;)

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Heh. Anyone see Tarakoboshi's profile? He's a 15 dan.
In ninjutusu even. I believe that's an African martial art... :lol:

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
tarakoboshi said:
hi, i am interest to know if anybody ave any kind of information of a TARAKO BOSHI, if you have heard about that weapon or about anythin ralated to it i love to know.
thanks

Technopunk, is that you again?

(Sorry, couldn't resist.) :whip:

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahhhhh, the mythical Cod-chuckas! :)

Attachments

• $fish-chucks.jpg
    $fish-chucks.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 231

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Sounds like someone is having a bit of fun.

I went ahead and checked with the encyclopedia of Japanese martial arts put out by Sasama and there was nothing listed that was even close. That pretty much shoots down the idea that is could be a Japanese weapon as far as I am concerned.

Sounds like someone is pulling your leg.

I figured so, I did a quick google on it and it seems to be mean something to do with cod. :)

OP
T

tarakoboshi

White Belt
Reaction score
i have in fact serch a lot in the internet for it, and i know tarako are the eggs of the cod and also know what all the diferent definicion of boshi, in budo taijutsu is a hit whith the tip of the thumb (boshiken) also called shitoken, but im serious when i isay it is the name given to a japannese weapon, i don't think you will find it in a enciclopedia, it belongs to a secret school. Ill be thankfull if anyone can also help me if you know anything about NAKATO.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tarakoboshi said:
i don't think you will find it in a enciclopedia, it belongs to a secret school.

You mean you expect us to believe that this weapon is sooo secret that nobody in Japan would have heard of it, and yet someone on an English language internet site would be able to tell you something?

You must think we are pretty dumb if you think we would buy that explination Mr 15th dan in a secret school of ninjutsu.

As for the idea of a secret school, check out the following thread.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23648

And also the following,

http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue9/realor.html

And especially the following,

http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue8/zanshin8.html

And pay attention to the following quote,

--The teacher and the top students make claims that cannot be substantiated in any accepted martial arts resource. And when I say resource, I don't mean the latest issue of Killer Karate/Kung-Fu Gay Pride Chili Cook-Off magazine. I mean texts such as the Bugei Ryuha Daijiten, or Honcho Bugei Shoden and so on. While there may, indeed, be groups (including all non-Japanese martial arts) not included in these texts, they are a good place to start one's research, especially for groups who claim ancestry to hundreds-of-years-old lineages. Get real suspicious when the Big Kahuna says things like, "Oh, nobody in Japan (or China, Korea, etc.) knows much about us because we were a secret society."

Let me tell you, if the group was so secret and special in Japan that nobody heard about 'em, what makes you think that the Japanese members, who are often known for their xenophobic behavior, would go off and teach it to a bunch of stinky cheese-smelling foreigners?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
You mean you expect us to believe that this weapon is sooo secret that nobody in Japan would have heard of it, and yet someone on an English language internet site would be able to tell you something?

Tarako is a rather feminine name, Don. The only feminine weapons that I can think of would probably get this post tossed in to After Dark ;)

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Tarako is a rather feminine name, Don.

It's not a name for a girl. It is close to names like Takako and Teruko, but it is not a name you would name your kid. Trust me on this. The Japanese have not quite gotten to the point where they start naming their kids "Moon Unit" and things like that.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tarakoboshi said:
i have in fact serch a lot in the internet for it, and i know tarako are the eggs of the cod and also know what all the diferent definicion of boshi, in budo taijutsu is a hit whith the tip of the thumb (boshiken) also called shitoken, but im serious when i isay it is the name given to a japannese weapon, i don't think you will find it in a enciclopedia, it belongs to a secret school. Ill be thankfull if anyone can also help me if you know anything about NAKATO.

Why do we get so much of this ******** on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions