Why does the Booj hate Washington?

Mickey Mullins

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ahem,

For the selective readers(no names please)clarification......
Don wrote:
How is the shopping like in Charleston? I have to keep my wife happy.
Therefore I suspect that what I wrote was geared toward this.Oh well kids'll be kids.However if you do get yourself a nightie Don,post some pictures.
Mickey

Edit:There is NOTHING wrong with Playboy,now Spice.......

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now Mickey, think about it.....

I asked about shopping because I had to keep my wife happy. Now, who do you think is happier when she gets something sexy at Victoria's Secret, her or me? :fanboy:

Mickey Mullins

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ahhhh...the plot thickens.

See guys thats how those darn ninja are,always manipulating someone to put themselves in a better position.

BTW Don,when can I expect you(lol)?

Mickey

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OH yeah, we have the space needle. you could take your wife there. it rotates, and you can see the mountains. sssoooooo romantic!

Mt. Saint Helens just vented again.....its a cool sight, and of no real danger.....

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the typical cost of a three bedroom, two bath house? I hope to pay about 350k cash for a place in a neighborhood where there are not too many drive by shootings.

I was thinking of moving near Ft Lewis. How is the area there in terms of the things I am looking for?

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chicago, Don, Chicago.....World class city, none of the NY BS. Move to one of the nifty suburbs right out of the city, all good....

Gun laws in Illinois are okay as long as you're not living inside the city proper. Shopping is awsome and Mexian food - WoooWeee. Chicago has one of the highest ratios of Mexican restraunts per capita (I have no idea why).

Lots of friendly buyu who all get along too....

May I ask what sort of work you're looking for?

/steve kovalcik

davidg553

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
What is the typical cost of a three bedroom, two bath house? I hope to pay about 350k cash for a place in a neighborhood where there are not too many drive by shootings.

I was thinking of moving near Ft Lewis. How is the area there in terms of the things I am looking for?
As far as I can remember there wasn't too much there that left a lasting impression on me. I think though, as long as you don't get too close to the base, you should be ok. Of course, thats a big area given that Lewis and McCord are right next to each other. Tacoma is a dump and Lakewood less of a dump. This is my opinion of course.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tacoma sucks. plain and simple.

but other areas in WA State are great. Lynnwood is a fast growing city, that has plans for 35 story buildings. only bout 40 minutes from the airport, and mountains in reach. also, second largest mall in the state. FOR SHOPPING!!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lynnwood has great shopping, eh?

Let us say that someone could possibly be there the weekend before Thanksgiving. How would someone go about setting up a seminar and arranging for his family to be taken to this great shopping mall while he is at the seminar?

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Let us say that someone could possibly be there the weekend before Thanksgiving. How would someone go about setting up a seminar and arranging for his family to be taken to this great shopping mall while he is at the seminar?
Everything is very close together, but not too close. it would be possible to drop off the family at the mall, or nearby stores, and have them be only 15 minutes away. What specifics were you looking for?

I was trying to be nice. No need to upset the natives
wink.gif
They know where they stand in society. lol.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I would like to be able to have a reason to go up and look around an area of Washington. It would be nice if that reason was that I was teaching a seminar. My wife would be more likely to agree if I did so and took a token amount of money to cover gas and the like.

But I don't know anyone up there, or who would want me to come out, etc.

M

Movingon

As for moving up here I would say Olympia is a great place.....ok so I am a little bias.....because hey I live here! Really it is a great place, almost like a small city but we have malls and the like and driving to Seattle doesn't take very long.

Why does the Booj hate Washington? Sure it rains a little but we have lots of coffee! But we have none over here. I am looking at a college in NY so if I get in *crosses fingers* then I think there might be more over that...I hope....

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Olympia is cool. it has that "small town, but still a big town" feel.

but when earthquakes happen here (every three years or so) Olympia gets hit hard. The last 6.8 hit the hardest in olympia.
Seriously Lynnwood, Everett, Monroe, or Marysville are good places. I live in Arlington, and it has this wierd cow smell, but marysville is good, and its only about 15 miles away from me.

M

Movingon

I was on the bridge when that earthquake happened, scared me to death. We are still getting over it and it has been what two, three years? I like Marysville, I was going to move there when I moved to Washington but found a much cheaper house down here. Lakewood! Now there is a great place....not.....

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Don,

I grew up and went to college right around Seattle. Given your requirements in your first post I would choose North Bend, about 30 miles from Seattle to the west, and right in the Cascade foothills. The area is turning into a suburb, but it avoids the worst of the traffic (for now.) Closest major shopping would be Bellevue Square, a ridiculously oversized mall and I'm guessing the one that makes Alderwood Mall (Lynnwood) #2 in the state, it is probably about 20 miles away. Sea-Tac International is about 40 miles away.

I own a condo in Lynnwood, some areas around there are pretty nice, though the commute to Seattle (should you have to make one) is absolutely hideous. As a general rule, avoid Tacoma/Lakewood (the area around Ft. Lewis) like the plague, though on the plus side the "Tacoma Aroma" has been greatly reduced in the last 10 years.

I like Olympia, that area hasn't turned into sprawl yet, I also like some of the areas around Marysville, but I know that area is expanding rapidly. Finally, if you really need to get away from the city I would suggest heading over to the Olympic Penninsula somewhere. It meets your requirements for mountains, but thats about it. :) Beautiful area though.

If you do make it up to the area next year I'd love to watch/participate in a seminar, I'm usually in town to meet with my parents. I know precisely diddly about ninjitsu, well diddly plus 30 minutes of exchanging ideas with Technopunk. :)

Lamont

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
North bend is alright, I guess. it is true that marysville is expanding, but there is only so much area to build on. it contains lots of Wetlands, and the old Beringer farm is being reverted back to its natural state.

Tenchijin2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I haven't been on WarriorTalk long, so I just found this thread.

Forgive my late entrance.

The current state of WA Bujinkan as I know it:
1. Vancouver (me. Well, actually I live in Camas... which is even smaller than Vancouver)
2. Seattle (some of my students)
3. Yakima (no one left there, previously a small group of my students)
4. Olympia (Dan Klug. Never met him, but I've spoken to him once)
5. Everett (Doug Beardsley. More or less my student, currently sandan, a bit busy with work right now)

That's about it.

Don, if you come to Astoria, you're about 2 hours from the Portland OR/Vancouver, WA metro area. That's the very southern tip of WA. Currently, there aren't that many people training in the state. Seattle has a really tough time keeping an instructor. For some reason instructors sort of come and go up there. But, that might make it a prime place to set up shop. It's got a big population to draw from, and no significant instructor pool. If you moved to one of the smaller 'burbs, you could get a bit better cost of living ratio, too.

As far as doing a seminar... it might be tough, because like I said, there aren't that many people training. When we bring Bill Atkins out (every 10 weeks) we struggle to get 25 people. That's scary when you consider we only charge $65 for the WHOLE weekend. That's in Vancouver, so we get the Seattle market, the Portland market, the local vancouver pool, and frequently we get a few stragglers from Idaho, Utah, and even Denver.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help you out.

aric

E

Elizium

Shogun said:
North bend is alright, I guess. it is true that marysville is expanding, but there is only so much area to build on. it contains lots of Wetlands, and the old Beringer farm is being reverted back to its natural state.
Hey, you could flip out in the swampiest of places in Marysville :ninja::roflmao:

Latest Discussions