Why does the Booj hate Washington?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you know how hard it is to find Bujinkan up here in WA state? there are about three schools, 1 is iffy, and the other 2 are about 100 miles too far.....what gives? can anyone help me find Bujinkan schools in washington state? there are two in seattle and in Yakima. any others? it seems like other states like texas have like, 50.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's cold, wet and you can't get decent Mexican food.

But I am planning at this point on moving there after I finish living in Japan. You will only have to wait five or so years. :supcool:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
By then Don, I might have enough cash to finally travel and start doing some intense training. :)

davidg553

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
Do you know how hard it is to find Bujinkan up here in WA state? there are about three schools, 1 is iffy, and the other 2 are about 100 miles too far.....what gives? can anyone help me find Bujinkan schools in washington state? there are two in seattle and in Yakima. any others? it seems like other states like texas have like, 50.
IIRC Aric Keith is in Vancouver

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
By then Don, I might have enough cash to finally travel and start doing some intense training. :)
:rofl:

Sorry. The idea of someone flying from New York State to Washington to train with me is just too damn funny. I ain't worth it.

I am not pretending to be humble. I know that while I need to get better, than I am above a lot of people teaching Bujinkan. But I know there are people a hell of a lot better than I a heck of a lot closer to you.

If you don't mind it not being Bujinkan there is a guy in the state next to yours that I went to see last summer. Yes that's right. I flew from Japan to train in martial arts with a guy. This guy has been doing martial arts since before I was born, and putting his life on the line as well.

If you want someone, I can make introductions with him. Don't think of flying out to train with me on the west coast when there are people like Valdamir Vasilov, Jack Hoban etc a heck of a lot closer to you.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But I am planning at this point on moving there after I finish living in Japan. You will only have to wait five or so years.
coolorange.gif
Keep me posted. :)

IIRC Aric Keith is in Vancouver
Aric Keith is one of the ones who is too far away. He is Tenchijin under Atkins shihan, correct?

It's cold, wet and you can't get decent Mexican food.
~nods in agreement~

Actually, last summer it was around 95 degrees for half of the summer, and even hotter the summer before that. damn global warming!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And here I thought this was a thread about The Bujinkan and the First U.S. President.

OP
Shogun

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What's your definition of too far away?
227.2 miles. thats how far it is DRIVING distance. walking.....Hah!

the closest Dojo is 63.5 miles and I go when I can, but thats not often. The four dojos in the state are seemingly clustered together. 2 in seattle, 1 in vancouver, and one in Yakima. there may be two in Yakima,....not sure. Some MA schools (BJJ, some Karate dojos) have unwritten laws about schools being less than 50 miles apart from each other.
Its my fault really. if I moved to seattle, I wouldnt have a problem now would I?

Cheers,
kyle

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shogun said:
227.2 miles. thats how far it is DRIVING distance. walking.....Hah!

Cheers,
kyle
Hey Kyle...

Unless you can shortcut the walking distance, they are probably the same distance on foot or by car.

:D

E

Elizium

well mine is either 20 mins by car, 45 by bus or 2 and a half hours or so if I take my time by foot.

And if it is 200 miles away, at least you can practice some of the 18 skills :uhyeah: , that is if you decide to walk it. :whip:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just wondering where people think a good place for me to move to in Washington would be.

I am throwing around a lot of ideas about where to move. I am not 100 percent certain I will even move to the West Coast. What I need as a bare minimum to please my wife is someplace with mountains (you should have seen it when I suggested Kansas) and only a few hours drive to an international airport that has direct flights to Japan.

I am also looking at the factors such as economic status and safety. But of secondary consideration I am thinking about trying for a spot where there is no Bujinkan instructor that may feel that I am stepping on his/ her toes.

Other plusses would be a good internal Chinese martial art instructor in the area and a big city for my wife to go shopping on weekends without being close enough to deal with urban blight.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I am also looking at the factors such as economic status and safety. But of secondary consideration I am thinking about trying for a spot where there is no Bujinkan instructor that may feel that I am stepping on his/ her toes.
May I suggest upstate NY? ;) You'd be a few hours from NYC, and we don't exactly have a plethora of instructors once you get away from the NYC/Westchester area...

Jeff

J

jibran

Mr. Roley,
I am from Northern VA (and will be moving back there in '07); it fits all of your requirements. Fairfax County would be perfect for you; we have a major airport that has flights to Japan, we have three excellent Chinese internal arts instructors, it is a short drive to the Appalachian mountains (they are especially amazing in the fall), there are several five-star shopping centers, there are no Bujinkan instructors (but there are potential students, such as me!), and it is not subject to DC's urban plight. I can give you more details if you are interested. It would be great to have you there.
Hope this helps,
Jibran Khan

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ummm..... Kreth, Jibran...

Next December I will be in Oregon to meet some people. I will be able to visit Washington state from there. I do not know if I will ever be close to where you guys are. I really do not have a reason to go, and you can understand why I would be reluctant to start thinking about an area without ever visiting it. And if Kreth is in rural New York state, then you are well served by an instructor with plenty of real world experience.

But thanks for making me feel special. :ladysman:

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:

I feel your pain. Up until 7 months ago, the Bujinkan dojo closest to me was in a neighboring state, then one of the guys from that Dojo moved to my state for a job, and now we finally have one, and it's the ONLY Bujinkan dojo in the state of Mississippi.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I was just wondering where people think a good place for me to move to in Washington would be.
How about the San Francisco or Orange Country areas?

Don Roley said:
I am not 100 percent certain I will even move to the West Coast. What I need as a bare minimum to please my wife is someplace with mountains
Let's hear it for the mountains!

Don Roley said:
(you should have seen it when I suggested Kansas)
Isn't that somewhere near California or some such?

Don Roley said:
and only a few hours drive to an international airport that has direct flights to Japan.
Hmmm.... LAX?

Don Roley said:
I am thinking about trying for a spot where there is no Bujinkan instructor that may feel that I am stepping on his/ her toes.
HERMIT !!!

char_gollum.jpg

Don, this could be you bustin' it in Cali ->

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/gollum.php

Latest Discussions