Why DO they hate us so much?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking much the same, Kds. I've seen MJER footage by some very highly ranked practioners that looked simply awful. I hadn't really put my finger on it being down to the essential 2D nature of video but now you've made the observation I can better understand why.

It also makes me feel better about how terrible the video taken of me practising looks so bad ... :whistles:.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I always believed that much of this Internet WC hate-fest started with Phil Elmore running his yap and p***ing off everyone over at bull-shido.

He was studying WC at the time so they dug in and dug up every little embarrassing clip they could find to throw back at him. And as time went on, many of the bull-shidoites spread their dismay for the art far and wide throughout the Web.

But I could be wrong.

BFL

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I travel between North Jersey and Central Florida
Seeker, I'm knew here but hope you don't me saying I agree, BullSh*to has to be the most agressive at W.C. bashing but it all sitll comes down to ego, the only way some people can pump themselves up and feel good about themselves and what they're doing, is to slam someone else.
Peace to all.
BFL

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
it all sitll comes down to ego, the only way some people can pump themselves up and feel good about themselves and what they're doing, is to slam someone else.
Peace to all.
BFL
You've said a mouthful, there, friend.

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Seeker, I'm knew here but hope you don't me saying I agree, BullSh*to has to be the most agressive at W.C. bashing but it all sitll comes down to ego, the only way some people can pump themselves up and feel good about themselves and what they're doing, is to slam someone else.
Peace to all.
BFL

Yes, they dedicate an entire month to bashing WC (_ing _un sucks month), well they do this for many styles..

But what I saw as a testament to what you said about their egos was when they had (tried to have) BJJ & MMA sucks month, the furry and complaints coming from their members forced the mod to retract on stating that these two styles could ever suck.

They had the chance to show that they're doing these "style X sucks month" out of fun, but they cannot even poke fun at themselves. And that to me is very sad.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, they dedicate an entire month to bashing WC (_ing _un sucks month), well they do this for many styles..

But what I saw as a testament to what you said about their egos was when they had (tried to have) BJJ & MMA sucks month, the furry and complaints coming from their members forced the mod to retract on stating that these two styles could ever suck.

They had the chance to show that they're doing these "style X sucks month" out of fun, but they cannot even poke fun at themselves. And that to me is very sad.

What I find interesting about the site in question is this very thing the outward aggression against other styles.

There is a site that is dedicated to Sport Sanshou, it is a very good site actually, it is very obvious they have little use for TMA but they do not go out og thier way to bash it nor do posts that start that try and bash it or the posters last all that long. Actually there is very little discussion about TMA at all. They are simply to busy training for the next fight to waste their time doing it.

So what does that tell you about the site you are talking about?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sidebar here folks. The site in question is in our filter due to their attitude and past and current hostile and unfriendly actions towards this site, its staff and myself. We really don't wish to give them any publicity. Both the filter circumventions and "bashing" are policy violations here, in case anyone wasn't aware. So, please, don't work around the filter and lets stay above them and not get into the 'bashing' even if the comments are spot on.
Danke. :)

This comment "the only way some people can pump themselves up and feel good about themselves and what they're doing, is to slam someone else. " is very true. So, very true. I've seen it numerous times, listened to it from folks who have some tallent but need to lower someone else so they look/feel better about their own standings, etc. My opinion is, it says a lot when you have to constantly rip others apart.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Exactly. I actually found the montage clip tehy did for _ing _un sucks month hilarious

Whatever style you get (including BJJ) there are bad teachers or poor versions of it, that claim to be something they are not. I have no problem with an art not being self defence orientated, provided that they don't claim to be a self defence art, etc

The thing with videos is that you post a fighting vid of wing chun destroying an oponent and they claim that there is no wing chun in it!!!
Or if you post a vid showing how a technique works they tear it apart by saying that it is not being done in the cage. Sometimes you can't win

In the end, I just invite them down to my school and the Bull-shidoites who have accepted have come away with a different attitude

A lot of forum guys turn out to be 16 year old guys who have only seen martial arts in movies etc, or just jealous of teh talent that exists in many wing chun schools out there

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not just in the Martial Arts that this happens, it happens everywhere, and nearly all the time. On guitar sites you see rockers comlaining about the lack of perceived emotion in jazz, and the jazz musicians joking about the lack of skill required to play rock. This "mine is bigger..uh, Better than yours" mindset is nearly universal. As Neil Peart said, "Ignorance, prejudice and fear walk hand in hand". If you've got no real experience and no considered opinion (but you still really want to join in and be accepted) there's nothing so easy as simply falling in line behind the biggest loudmouth with a "Yeah, +1 Man, YEAH!!!" Woo Hoo :lol:

I've never had the pleasure of studying Wing Chun personally, but I would love to study it or another CMA some day. There's always been something incredibly cool about CMAs to me, going back to the (dare I say it) Kung Fu TV series. Meeting force with redirection rather than equal or more force...there's nothing cooler than that :D

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah I never understand why people always claim that a style is better than another
There are certainly some schools out there which need to be investigated by authorities for their behaviour (conning students etc), but generally I have never found one style to be better than another

I like Kamon which happens to be wing chun. But i am sure if Master Chan had learnt TKD instead of wing chun, he would have made it just as good

The UFC has shown more than anything, that no one style is better than another. The top guys/champions are usually proficient in at least three styles

Royce Gracie used to claim that BJJ could beat any art, and in the cage it did for a while. But then a couple of years later other arts started to fight back (hence the 'Gracie killer') etc

Also, styles like BJJ constantly spar and test each other through resisted training which is the closest to real fighting you will get in a training session

With wing chun, it is often hard to perform fak sao or hard palm strikes to the face, neck etc for obvious reason. But I find working against resisting opponents very good training

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
With wing chun, it is often hard to perform fak sao or hard palm strikes to the face, neck etc for obvious reason. But I find working against resisting opponents very good training
Kung fu san soo is the same way. We don't strap on sparring gear and turn into kick boxers at the end of class (as I've had to do in other arts, thus un-learning everything we'd just learned in the previous hour or two :angry:). But, doesn't mean we don't work against resistance. Just have to be a little more careful about it (those palm strikes can be viscous, eh?, as spear hands, chops, kicks to the inner legs...well, you know :) Oh, and the throws. With no gear, and no nice ring flooring, the ground hurts--and never misses.). And we have to realize the effect they'd have at full force/speed. I believe it was someone here who said 1000 times slow, one time fast. Or as Jimmy Woo would say, if you want to be fast, practice slow. Maybe it's more a CMA thing? (I know there are sport CMA's as San Shou, but I mean the combat stuff).

Now will all of this show up on a 2 min clip? Only if you know what to look for. :yoda:Those who don't, or are looking for bashing fodder, have an easy time dismissing it. :troll:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kung fu san soo is the same way. We don't strap on sparring gear and turn into kick boxers at the end of class (as I've had to do in other arts, thus un-learning everything we'd just learned in the previous hour or two :angry:). But, doesn't mean we don't work against resistance. Just have to be a little more careful about it (those palm strikes can be viscous, eh?, as spear hands, chops, kicks to the inner legs...well, you know :) Oh, and the throws. With no gear, and no nice ring flooring, the ground hurts--and never misses.). And we have to realize the effect they'd have at full force/speed. I believe it was someone here who said 1000 times slow, one time fast. Or as Jimmy Woo would say, if you want to be fast, practice slow. Maybe it's more a CMA thing? (I know there are sport CMA's as San Shou, but I mean the combat stuff).

Now will all of this show up on a 2 min clip? Only if you know what to look for. :yoda:Those who don't, or are looking for bashing fodder, have an easy time dismissing it. :troll:
There you go again, throwing those Jimmy Woo quotes around.
icon10.gif

Seeker

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sidebar here folks. The site in question is in our filter due to their attitude and past and current hostile and unfriendly actions towards this site, its staff and myself. We really don't wish to give them any publicity.Both the filter circumventions and "bashing" are policy violations here, in case anyone wasn't aware. So, please, don't work around the filter and lets stay above them and not get into the 'bashing' even if the comments are spot on.
Danke. :)
I do apologize for that.

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it is the nature of man to hate that which is unfamiliar, for many who practice mma there is little apparent similarity in wing chun and so it can be easy to critiscise it

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it is the nature of man to hate that which is unfamiliar, for many who practice mma there is little apparent similarity in wing chun and so it can be easy to critiscise it

Erm, I don't thnk it's the MMA people who were criticising Wing Chun so please don't blame us....yet again.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly,over the course of many years I've learned that no matter what a person does, drives, wears,or how he or she choses to live someone will find a reason to hate it or you.Drive a cool car keyed or despised, comments good and bad,haircut,clothes,ride a cool bike or what you can afford most bikers I've met are full of ego,some cool some real A- holes, practice a real cool martial art,well kind of like being a gun fighter,everyone wants to either fight you or tell you what time it is,EGO,kill the EGO!

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
sorry tez just using mma as an example not targeting it as culprit i should have been more clear

tenth1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
actually i think quicksilver captured what i was trying to say much better than i did... well said

Latest Discussions