Why do people cross-train in such similar arts?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm currently taking Taekwondo and Hapkido. If I have the time later on, I'd like to round out my weak areas by taking arts which focus on things TKD and HKD do not: punching, clinching, and ground game. So things like boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, or BJJ are high on my list.

But I've talked with people and I've seen tons of posts online where the list of martial arts someone takes is:
  • Shotokan Karate
  • Taekwondo
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Kyokushin Karate
  • Taekwon-do
  • "This art that I can't remember the name of that was basically what this guy came up with and taught in his garage" (that when described is basically an unaffiliated version of the above)
I've seen it in people here, I've seen it in some of my close friends at my dojang, and the most notable example I can think of is Chuck Norris, who has high dan ranks in TSD, TKD, and Karate.

What do people get out of cross-training in such a similar line of arts? Why not just stay with your primary art if you're going to do this?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm currently taking Taekwondo and Hapkido. If I have the time later on, I'd like to round out my weak areas by taking arts which focus on things TKD and HKD do not: punching, clinching, and ground game. So things like boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, or BJJ are high on my list.

But I've talked with people and I've seen tons of posts online where the list of martial arts someone takes is:
  • Shotokan Karate
  • Taekwondo
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Kyokushin Karate
  • Taekwon-do
  • "This art that I can't remember the name of that was basically what this guy came up with and taught in his garage" (that when described is basically an unaffiliated version of the above)
I've seen it in people here, I've seen it in some of my close friends at my dojang, and the most notable example I can think of is Chuck Norris, who has high dan ranks in TSD, TKD, and Karate.

What do people get out of cross-training in such a similar line of arts? Why not just stay with your primary art if you're going to do this?
well I assumed that the more similar they are, the easier it is to transfer skill and be good at the other one quite quickly.

I've never actually seen the point of training lots of arts, to be honest, better to pick an art that has all you want, than two that only have half. or they have a serious imbalance in their life and are short of something worth while to do with their time other than learn ANOTHER ma

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

• Shotokan Karate
  • Taekwondo
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Kyokushin Karate
  • Taekwon-do

Sometimes it's a matter of sticking to what interests you. Sometimes it's pursuing the same thing, as you change arts (moving from place to place, for example). Sometimes it's looking for something that specifically enhances what you're doing in your primary art, rather than trying to fill gaps. Learning Shotokan Karate set-ups is probably more useful in TKD competition than learning Judo set-ups.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

• Shotokan Karate
  • Taekwondo
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Kyokushin Karate
  • Taekwon-do

I would think it has more to do with the instructor and people at the dojo (ang) than anything else. You may want to learn different aspects or techniques from different instructors because of the methods that the instructor uses.

I've toyed with idea of training in another striking art if I can find one with an instructor I feel that can teach me something my primary instructor is not focusing on. Ultimately I would think it is to work on some aspect of your game that you feel is not being fulfilled in our current school.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Letting aside the ones that just want to collect ranks like an Italian Prime Minister collects lines on his CV, they may just want to learn about the various nuances on a common theme. Training in several very similar arts is kind of like sticking to one art but training under various teachers, trying to gain knowledge from as many sources as you can.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Letting aside the ones that just want to collect ranks like an Italian Prime Minister collects lines on his CV, they may just want to learn about the various nuances on a common theme. Training in several very similar arts is kind of like sticking to one art but training under various teachers, trying to gain knowledge from as many sources as you can.
In some cases there may be as much or more difference between the instruction of two teachers in the same art as between two teachers in different but related arts.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It a great question, Skribs. I think with a lot of people it might come down to availability. Especially within a reasonable distance to home.

And as Tony said, there is sometimes a vast difference between teachers of what is purportedly the same art. In my experience it has been mind blowing. Entertaining, in a weird Martial way, but mind blowing just the same.

Just makes me love the Arts even more. What a great ride.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my case, circumstance plays a factor, as I've moved around a lot. I'd also wager factors nonspecific to the art itself, such as the opportunity to work with a great instructor in a similar but not identical art, also play a role.

D

Deleted member 39746

Can always learn something new, and not many things are carbon copies of each other. Like ITF and WTF have similarities and quite big differences. (other than availability and you wanting to keep as similar to what you have done before as stated above)

Reactions: CKB

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

• Shotokan Karate
  • Taekwondo
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Kyokushin Karate
  • Taekwon-do

I think the idea of styles is slowly dieing. I like the idea of just training ranges. Bruce Lee had that right.

Get your kicks and knees, and learn how to defend against them.

Get your hands and elbows, and learn how to defend against them.

Get your throws/takedowns and takedown defence.

Get your ground game.

It doesn't matter where you get them, only that you can do them with competence. If you can get it all in one place, all the better.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

• Shotokan Karate
  • Taekwondo
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Kyokushin Karate
  • Taekwon-do

Because they want to....if that's what someone wants to do then that's their choice

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because they want to....if that's what someone wants to do then that's their choice

That's like "why does it cost $500 for <item>?"
"Because the sticker says $500."

The question, as understood by everyone else, is "why would they want to." What do they get out of doing that, instead of continuing to train their primary art to further their proficiency or instead of training to fill the gaps.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's like "why does it cost $500 for <item>?"
"Because the sticker says $500."

The question, as understood by everyone else, is "why would they want to." What do they get out of doing that, instead of continuing to train their primary art to further their proficiency or instead of training to fill the gaps.
Everyone's got their own reasons and again it's their choice. There's no right or wrong answer. Your way isn't the right way, neither is mine neither is anyone's. It's personal choice. Just because you don't agree with it it doesn't make it wrong

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score

• Shotokan Karate
  • Taekwondo
  • Tang Soo Do
  • Kyokushin Karate
  • Taekwon-do

I am pretty sure that a lot of those high Dan Ranks are honorary.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone's got their own reasons and again it's their choice. There's no right or wrong answer. Your way isn't the right way, neither is mine neither is anyone's. It's personal choice. Just because you don't agree with it it doesn't make it wrong

You're missing the point. The question is: why is it their choice? What is the reasoning behind that being the choice they went with?

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You're missing the point. The question is: why is it their choice? What is the reasoning behind that being the choice they went with?
Perhaps for the same reason some people learn French, Spanish, and Italian but not Hungarian, or Mandarin. You develop a skill set that transfers over to some arts but not others.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
How is anyone supposed to know that? We can't read minds everyone has their own reason just accept it and focus on yourself instead of caring what strangers do with their time

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is anyone supposed to know that? We can't read minds everyone has their own reason just accept it and focus on yourself instead of caring what strangers do with their time

Other people in this thread figured out how to answer it, so I don't think the question is the problem here.

CKB

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I am guilty of cross training in similar arts, and even different styles within the same art. The reason is simple; I believe each art or style has its own understanding of the same underlying principles, but their focus may be somewhat different. I don’t believe any single art sits on a complete and true understanding of the principles the art was founded on, and by studying similar styles and arts, I hope to get a broader and more complete perspective and understanding of those same principles, which I believe is universal.

3518siq.jpg

Latest Discussions