Who is Who in Modern Arnis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Dan Anderson wrote:
But I repeat, no one has approached me. ...I cannot speak for Tim or Dieter.

Same for me. I was not approached by the IMAF.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieter
Same for me. I was not approached by the IMAF.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Either one of two things occured...

1. You, for whatever reason, were not mentioned in the will as one of the 30.

or.....

2. You were mentioned, but you were left out of the loop by those who were left responsable to contact you, whomever "they" actually were.

I don't see any other possible conclusions other then what I have listed above. These conclusions are both very real possabilities. I think that no matter whether the answer is, one or the other, the real question then becomes: WHY????

Guys, I wish I had the answer.....:idunno:

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As long as we're on the subject of the will, has it ever been made public? The last I heard RP's estate was intestate (not having made a legally valid will - Encarta Dictionary). As to being officially in the top 30, that is news to me although I did know that I was one of the vice presidents in an older incarnation of IMAF.

As to upset about not being contacted, that got handled a while ago. I don't want it said, though, that I formally rejected anythng I didn't formally reject. Those are not the facts.

Paul made a point in a post (I believe in a different thread) which made a lot of sense. He went to the IMAF Michigan Camp and said something to the extent that the flavor of WMAA Modern Arnis was more to his liking. Excellent way of saying it! Brian Johns and Dan McConnell have said the same about IMAF Modern Arnis as well.

This is the way to state it! No making self right and others wrong but merely stating a preference. That's art. Preference of expression whether it is music, painting, drama or martial art.

This is one of the reasons I am so enthusiastic about the Symposium. Preferences will be expressed. This is also why I am now interested in making it to an IMAF camp or two.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

PS - 1. It looks like I won't be making the IMAF Chicago camp after all. I committed to Chad and Sal's camp prior to the invitation to Chicago and I had their date wrong. Rats. I will make it to an IMAF camp in the future. 2. Check out the new MartialTalk e-magazine. Good first issue. DA

W

wongfeihung

I'll add an additional $.02 to this boiling cauldron. I had an opportunity to visit, hang, and listen to the Professor behind the scenes for a few years. An insider I'm not, but I did get the chance to meet Remy Presas the man and I have a few observations.

The Professor concentrated on working what he called "Magic"; a potent combination of charisma, overwhelming skill, and sensitivity to pushing the right buttons to get people motivated. This has been smartly observed by others in other threads but seems to be forgotten quickly when attempting to nail down some type of systemic, categorized structure the professor may have had for the organization of the art. Pointedly, the Professor said a good number of things to a vast number of people over the course of his teaching history -- there isn't enough room for all the claims! Western management's organizational structure is counter to Remy Presas, the man. He simply did the best he could in a time of extreme stress (and in my OPINION ONLY, chose an excellent organizational leader in Dr Randi Schea).

An example, using myself:
The Professor told me after a session at a camp in 95 or 96 that my forms were excellent and that he'd like to feature me in his next video series for the forms chapters. I took this as a high compliment but I never expected anything -- I thought that given a right-place-right-time situation that I could possibly appear in a video, but mostly I knew that Professor was encouraging me, a shy and often insecure kid that simply doesn't have the spacial intelligence to readily fly with advanced Arnis, by playing to my strengths. I am not in any way discounting what he may or may not have said or wished for any one else -- but the nature of the man was to encourage growth first and foremost. Train hard, respect other players, cherish your teachers, propogate the art -- ultimately that was Professor's vision.

My best,
Travis Roy

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, this is not a problem to me.

Regarding your first guess:
You, for whatever reason, were not mentioned in the will as one of the 30.

I don´t think so,
1) because Remy said to me: You belong to the group of 10 now

2) He said to me word by word: "You are in my will",

3) David said, that I was part of the 30.

Anyway, I think Modern Arnis in the US circles very much around Modern Arnis in the US and don´t really take in account, that there are other countries as well.

I know that Remy liked our group here in Germany and that he was impressed with our approach to Modern Arnis. I have on tape when he said after a blackbelt grsading here in Gemany in front of 80 participant of the seminar, and I quote: "You are doing good. You uplift the standard of Modern Arnis worldwide".
(These are not my words, they were his)

I have no problems with the IMAF, exept of Ken Smith I know them all in person, but I think after the death of Remy, they were very busy to set up the "master of Tapi-Tapi" construct, and then they had to solve the JD problem.
You know, Germany is far away when you are not around when decisions are being made in the US.

The whole IMAF thing is no problem with me because I know they respect me for who I am and what I do, (When Randi Shea was in Germany I think in 1996, he asked me if I the ambitions to be the successor of the Professor, which I denied) and the no matter if I am part of the board of the IMAf or not. I am sure, David Hoffman can confirm this.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dieter:

I'll address your #'s by the #'s

1) because Remy said to me: You belong to the group of 10 now

Remy said a lot of things that would often change later. Who were these other 10? How do you know that these other 10 were the same when he passed away as they were when he told you? It is just very difficult to go on what he said because things would often change after he said it. I've discussed this in a different thread, but remember "Remy told me ____ at this event on such-and-such date" doesn't always fly. The situation could have changed within months to make what he "said" invalid.

2) He said to me word by word: "You are in my will",

Once again, things can change. It was my understanding that the Will was often changed, and people who were on it at one time often didn't stay on it. If he told you this more then a few weeks before he passed, it could be questionable.

3) David said, that I was part of the 30.

I like David, but to qoute a famous WWE wrestler, "It Doesn't matter what he said!"

What matters is what it says on that will. Even if David was looking at a copy of it when he said that you were one of the 30, then I would still want to see it in print if I were you.

I am sort of playing Devils advocate here; chances are that you are in the will being that you are a Datu.

All I am saying is I wouldn't be so sure of anything until there is tangable proof. There is too much "assumption" going around, and not enough fact. Like Datu Hartman said: the problem is that everyone has a story.

Don't let yours get in the way of fact; find out the facts first, before you assume.

PAUL

P.S. Don't take any of this as a personal attack, please. I am just saying that there are facts that need to be discovered here, and I am just advising against "assuming" too much.

:asian:

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi paul,

I don´t take it as an attack at all.
I would not even care, if i would not be on that list, because this does not matter regarding the relationship I had with Remy and
I know how Remy stood to me that is enough for me. He made me his 4th Datu and I am sure he had reasons for that.

I don´t have to proove anything, because I am not trying to get in any position in any organisation or so. I don´t want to be respected because I am on some list. I like it, if the people like what I have to offer when I teach.

Regards

Dieter.
I don´t

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi paul,

I don´t take it as an attack at all.
I would not even care, if i would not be on that list, because this does not matter regarding the relationship I had with Remy and
I know how Remy stood to me that is enough for me. He made me his 4th Datu and I am sure he had reasons for that.

I don´t have to proove anything, because I am not trying to get in any position in any organisation or so. I don´t want to be respected because I am on some list. I like it, if the people like what I have to offer when I teach.

Regards

Dieter.
I don´t

That is definatily good to hear. I don't think it should reflect on you either way; and I don't think that at this point the list matters, either.

All that matters is skill, your positive attitude, and your willingness to teach the art! :D

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He said to me word by word: "You are in my will",

Dieter-

You and I need to talk about this when you come over to the symposium.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wills.....

it is my understanding that Professor's US will is not recognized under Canadian law.

I am also aware of multiple wills. (and no, I will not say more on that topic).

Chad

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
Wills.....

it is my understanding that Professor's US will is not recognized under Canadian law.

Chad

What seems funny to me is why do the Canadians have anything to say about an American will for an American citizen!?!?

Now before anyone says anything. Remy may have married a Canadian, but this doesn't make him one.

:confused:

D

David Hoffman

Hello All,

I am away from my office this week so I can not respond fully. I did ask for a little patience!

Dan, I do not have my emails here but I did exchange several long one's with you, call you with Professor from Victoria and made a big effort to "get you involved" as Professor wished and discussed with me. As I was acting as both an IMAF board member and Vice-President, communicating directly with the Chairman to discuss my efforts to get you involved, I'm not sure what more you needed. There is no specific council for recruitment. There is a steering committee which makes non binding recommendations to a board of director's with voting authority. Randi and Jim handle much of the day to administration, as I am the "senior" board member (in terms of age and time in the art, but with no added authority) and know most all of the other "seniors" it was left to me to contact you and others. If I was not sufficiently clear, then I apologize, but I do point out that you never responded to me, instead, you posted your decision to affiliate with another organization, Renegade as I recall, so you left me hanging without a reply and I was not finished. If I was lacking in my effort in clarity or thoroughness then I apologize.

Also, the list of nominated IMAF Directors I have mentioned was not made while Professor was ill! That is a major, major misconception, it was set to paper years previously, and had been building for over a decade. I was updated periodically, for example, I recall when Doug Pierre was added there were already 17 names. I am not aware that any changes were made after Professor became ill. None at all to my knowledge. There were a few rank and title promotions, nothing else. In fact, nothing at all significant to the Federation, except for the naming of the steering committee. This in itself was not remarkable as all members of the committee were also named directors year prior. The steering committee was added, and made necessary, by the sudden onset of the illness. They are doing a very good job in my opinion.

Paul, I know you as a sincere young person. Your support of your teacher is admirable. But your comments are not in keeping with the maturity I expect of you! There is no need for you to defend Tim Hartman. Tim was one of those named to the board. Professor did not remove Tim's name despite their estrangement during the "renegade" time. If you read my words you will see that, if anything, my post gives status and importance to those I mention, especially Tim so there is no need to be so emotional. What I will have to add about the "successor" idea will likewise, only add confirmation and honor to Tim who was regarded a senior arnistador by Professor and myself. As far as why you were not yourself named Paul. I can not say. Perhaps because you were in your teens when the list was compiled, and about 20 when it was put in writing. I can not say.

But to everyone, please understand, the board was designed for the administration and protection of the art. Not being named does not mean you were not a good student or skillful. I have clearly stated previously that all of Professor's instructors are entitled to teach and spread his art without interference. The IMAF was designated as a collective, legal and formal organization, to help with administration, preservation and promotion of the art so that it would survive. This was consistent to Professor’s vision and ALL of the recollections I have read. Most everyone nominated was told so by Professor over the years, though they may not have understood exactly what he meant or known the whole plan. The directors are not necessarily the most skilled or best fighters, though they are certainly a broad sampling of seniors from around the world. They ARE the people specifically nominated to lead the art within the framework of the International Modern Arnis Federation. It is their individual choice and right to either do so, remain uninvolved. My personal opinion is they have no additional authority to set themselves as King, Supreme master, or compete openly with the Federation. I do, however, realize that much may be the result of misunderstanding and emotions after our tragedy. That is why I am making this effort to set the record straight. I will be ready to publish my research in about six weeks time.

You should be happy, Paul, with the training and advancement that you had. It is very special and unique to you and you should carry it on proudly. Most all nominated board members were more than twenty years older than you and high ranking, I'm sure you would have grown into a role as well with your enthusiasm. I’m am also sure that Professor was very fond of you as you have said. But by putting your opinion above Professor's, and publishing with such ranker, you suggest to me that perhaps you are not yet mature enough for a position as Director. As I have met you and were impressed by you, I am sure that as you age, you will remedy this. I imagine your teacher would be willing to talk to you as well. In the meantime, I do not wish to scold you but please show respect when entering a discussion with seniors. Ok my young friend?

Finally, as I have said, I will make available more information and documents to the people named and concerned, and eventually, to the public. In the meantime, we are nearing the second anniversary of our Grand Master's passing. Could we not, as a family, be a little more patient, and take this time to reflect on the great teacher who has so touched our lives? I humbly propose to our martial arts family, that for these weeks leading up to this sad anniversary, we take a pause from all the griping and status claims, and instead, focus of the great and rich legacy Remy Amador Presas left us. After this anniversary I will publish the documents I have referred to, we can then analyzes them together.

David Hoffman

D

David Hoffman

Please note, I accidently used my automatic signature with this post. I am not speaking for the IMAF at the present. For the duration of my efforts to help settle Professor's estate, personal business, future structure of the art leadership, etc. I have taken an inactive and non-voting status with the IMAF,inc. I do this, as is customary, to avoid any conflict of interest. The board has been informed of this.

Thank You.

David Hoffman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by David Hoffman
Tim was one of those named to the board. Professor did not remove Tim's name despite their estrangement during the "renegade" time.

Dave-

maybe you can tell me about this RENEGADE TIME. Like when was this started, and by whom?

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieter: He said to me word by word: "You are in my will",
Originally posted by Tim:
Dieter - You and I need to talk about this when you come over to the symposium.

No problem, any time.

Dieter

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(Or rather, because you are my senior....)

Mr. Hoffman, Mr. Hoffman, Mr. Hoffman.............

I tryed to clear a few things up from my "beligerent" post, but apparently I didn't do so enough. So let me clear up a few misconceptions that I feel that you may have...

1. Maturity: I resent that you feel that I am being immature. I don't feel that I am, or have been yet. I have not once resorted to slamming anyone on this thread. I have not pointed a finger at anyone in particular here, either. I am only guilty of stating facts, coupled with my opinions.

Yes, I was very blunt. I sounded angry in my one "beligerent" post, when I was not really.

My intent was to verbally "smack" people on the head, particularly my "seniors" to encourage them to see that what many are doing in regards to our art is wrong. And while many continue to "wrong" Modern Arnis, others are doing something right for it. These others, many who may be "juniors", are gaurunteed to bypass the "leaders" who continue to stagnate their version of the art with their behavior.

The sooner we all realize my point, and especially the sooner my "seniors" who are guilty of this realize this, the faster people will start to get their acts together. Yet I speak, and I am misunderstood again. The plight of being me I guess. That's O.K., those of you who don't get it now, you'll get it sooner or later.

But in regards to maturity, Datu Hoffman, when I speak of an art I love, I will speak with passion. Don't confuse passion with immaturity.

2. "No need to defend Tim Hartman"

If I think he needs defending, Datu Hoffman, I will do so. However, I have not really done so here. My point in mentioning that he was offered the system in Germany was only to illustrate professors inconsistancies when making leadership decisions. In other words, asking one man to be the head of the organization and system, however qualified he may be, is quite a bit different then asking a board of 30 to do so democratically. This is hugely inconsistant, as Professor was when making these decisions. Some people are now taking advantage of these inconsistancies. Some just try to do what is best for the art (such as when Tim turned Professor down in Germany, concerning himself over the mans recovery, which did not work in Tims favor but was what he felt was best for the art), despite these inconsistancies. Some are just doing what they were told, as in Brian Zewilinski's (MOTT) case (at least this was my impression, anyhow).

It would be nice if more people did one of the later. Again, not trying to defend Tim, but I did use him to make a point.

3. "why was Paul not named"

COME ON! This should not even be the topic of discussion. I do not claim rank or title of any significance, so why would I even wonder why I wasn't named on the list!?!?!? I don't.

But if you need my confirmation, we both know why I wasn't listed, and it has nothing to do with rank or skill, as you said. I was way too young to take on that responsability. You hit the nail on the head!

But do not think that I, for any reason, implied that I should have been on that list. I never did such a thing. I was only stating that I was glad that I WASN'T, for this means that it is not my responsability to clean up other peoples messes!

4. "Perhaps you are not mature enough for a position as a director"

First of all, yes it is true, I am only 25 years old. However, you do not know me past our little meeting we had years ago. I now run a wealth management group; that's right, I run a business. I understand the importance of professionalism more then you realize.

You don't know even close to enough about me to make your judgements.

I will say that I will not hide behind the ruse of professionalism to mask how I feel, or to be ambigious about the truth of matters. Many others do this, I feel. As I said before, I am passionate about my art. If that means that I am going to speak loudly, and frankly at times, then that is what that means. Do not confuse this with me lacking professionalism. Do not confuse this with an inability to make leadership decisions.

5. "By putting your opinion above professors...."

I AM NOT putting my opinion above Professors! I am putting my opinion on par with Professors other students, whether they are my seniors or juniors. This is where my opinion should be! The fact is, as Tim had said, and I will repeat it many times, "everyone has a story." Peoples "stories" lead to different opinions as to what Professors "opinions," wishes, and intentions were. You see, these are all scewed by individual motives.

I will do what I FEEL professor would want me to do, not what you, or anybody else thinks that professor would have wanted me to do. I think now that I have explained, now you might get the difference. Don't mistaken my questioning of Professors students with questioning Professor himself. You see, I will not blindly follow anyone.

In the meantime, I do not wish to scold you but please show respect when entering a discussion with seniors. Ok my young friend?

Gee, thanks for not scolding me. I am going to give you the benifit of the doubt here. In other words, I am going to pretend for a second that your not trying to be a dick, or talk down to me.

I respect people who are my seniors, but this doesn't mean that I will stand aside and plainly watch my "seniors" do what I believe is wrong, if this is the case. And if my seniors wrong me, my family/friends, my instructor(s), or my descipline severely enough, then they lose my respect, seniors or not. At that point, all is fair game. If that means that I personally put them in their place verbally or physically, then that is what it means.

So pulling the "senior" card with me will only get you so far. Just remember that.

In terms of disrespect: qoute me where I personally attacked or disrespected anyone on this thread, and I will be glad to examine my statement. Outside of bluntness, I do not feel that I have disrespected anyone, senior or junior. If you took anything that I have written as disrespect towards you personally, then please understand that this certainly wasn't my intent.

In terms of the rest of your post; nice job. thanks for the compliments that you did say sparingly through your post. Also, thanks for taking the time for displaying your info. I look forward to hearing more soon.

Respectfully,

Paul Janulis
No Rank, No Title, and Unlisted.

J

JMP

Hello
I have been reading these Remy said post for a good while.
There is no end to what Remy said. this was a good man, with a good heart, he would say anything to make people happy.
Ask Rocky or Hal what Remy said to them ,in 1977 Remy said to DeMott and Fields and Arnold they were the chosen ones, later after the split up between DeMott and Fields only Fields would be the one here in Mi. Fields had some personal things. Next it was Owens and myself, he had to stop training for awhile so it was my turn, I said no, I was not humble I did not want the job, all others that had it ended up without a teacher I just wanted to train. Remy would come and we had a good time he would test my people then after a short stay away he would go "what is this I will make some money" see you next year Jim.
Don't worry about what everyone is doing or what they have got the best thing we can do for him is train and be happy that is what it is all about.
I do know that Remy tried to have a good and a personal relationship with everyone he would stay with, things said to each of us maybe better kept to ourselves it could cut down on the confusion, or maybe talked about only in person.

Thanks for listening

Jim Power
Flint Mi.
I have

(* Corrected spelling of names of people at request of the poster *)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Saying someone is not mature is not the same as saying that they're immature. I took Mr. Hoffman's use of the term to refer to a certain 'ripening' that comes with age and experience--very different from implying that one is immature with respect to their own peers.

D

David Hoffman

Originally posted by PAUL
(Or rather, because you are my senior....)

In terms of disrespect: qoute me where I personally attacked or disrespected anyone on this thread, and I will be glad to examine my statement. Outside of bluntness, I do not feel that I have disrespected anyone, senior or junior. If you took anything that I have written as disrespect towards you personally, then please understand that this certainly wasn't my intent.

Paul Janulis

Hello Paul,

As you have asked me to quote what I was protesting, I will do so. Please bear with me as I'm not very experience with using the forum. Before I do so , please understand that I agree with what Arnistador has said. I am not suggesting you are immature, Paul, I am only taking issue with these few statements you have said which do appear insulting. Further, I am not trying to pull seniority on you, it is a simple fact that I was addressing the other nominated "seniors" who all are mature in terms of years with 10 to twenty years or more in the art. That does not make us any better or even more skilled, just older with more experience. You are very intelligent Paul and a good debater, I respectfully submit that my discussion was with the others seniors I was mentioning. For you to debate every point so hotly merits my asking that you remain polite. As you have asked me to quote you I will do so. Not to further upset you, rather so you understand me.

David Hoffman

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by David Hoffman (in italics):
Dan, I do not have my emails here but I did exchange several long one's with you, call you with Professor from Victoria and made a big effort to "get you involved" as Professor wished and discussed with me.

David,
I remember the call but I was interested I how the Prof's health was at the time.

As I was acting as both an IMAF board member and Vice-President, communicating directly with the Chairman to discuss my efforts to get you involved, I'm not sure what more you needed.

At that point in time the Prof's health was the top issue so to be honest, I don't remember you asking me a thing about IMAF membership or anything else like that. That may be my blind spot then.

...it was left to me to contact you and others.

After I blew up about being left in the dark about what was happening at the time.

If I was not sufficiently clear, then I apologize, but I do point out that you never responded to me, instead, you posted your decision to affiliate with another organization, Renegade as I recall, so you left me hanging without a reply and I was not finished. If I was lacking in my effort in clarity or thoroughness then I apologize.

Apology accepted. Like I said, I was single minded at the time (RP's health) and I may have missed what else you said. Regarding IAMF participation, IMAF Central wouldn't communicate, Renegade did, hence the affiliation.

The directors are not necessarily the most skilled or best fighters, though they are certainly a broad sampling of seniors from around the world. They ARE the people specifically nominated to lead the art within the framework of the International Modern Arnis Federation.

And there are those of us who are more inclined to be independent.

I will be ready to publish my research in about six weeks time.
Finally, as I have said, I will make available more information and documents to the people named and concerned, and eventually, to the public. After this anniversary I will publish the documents I have referred to, we can then analyzes them together.

Excellent!

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions