Who are the top JKD instructors in the world ?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who do you think they are? And why?

(and... just for fun, you know that there are a ton of smilies and emoticons available, not just the pirate, right? Some of them might even be appropriate to your question...)

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What about Lamar Davis? While we've never trained together, I've known him for a lot of years. I know he has sought out a lot of the original students and devotes a great deal of time and energy to JKD.

JohnMarkPainter

White Belt
Reaction score
I Just returned from a 3 Day seminar with Lamar Davis.
He is an excellent teacher with an easily followed teaching structure and an extremely well researched curriculum.

If you are looking for 'original' Jun Fan JKD you wouldn't be sorry
(leave your Kali sticks and Sarong at home!!!)
I happen to like that too...

jmp

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think those involved in the Wednesday Night group have got it together.

http://www.jkdwednite.com/

That Jeremy Lynch can really move, in my opinion. A testament to his teachers.

JKD143

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dan I. has always impressed me. I have worked out with some of Jerry's guys and a few of them moved pretty well. I certainly agree on the Wed. night group.

xoek

White Belt
Reaction score
does anyone know if burton richardson is a good instructor? he runs jkd unlimited in hawaii.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
does anyone know if burton richardson is a good instructor? he runs jkd unlimited in hawaii.

Personally never met him, however through the vine I've heard good things about him nothing bad so far...

I would say check it out.

robertlk808

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Burton also has some great clips on youtube which could give you a good feeling on his style of instruction. I have interacted with him via email and trained \ sparred with a student or two of his. Good people, humble, well trained and diverse. Ive always got the feeling that he was very genuine.

Aloha,
Robert

Smoke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Although I've never trained with him, I also think Burton Richardson is a great JKD instructor. As I'm sure all of you know, he's of the Inosanto lineage, if that means anything.

But if you're going to include him, you should also consider Matt Thornton as well. Richardson I believe, had a huge influence on Thornton. When I think of JKD instructors, I simply think in terms of JKD and not separate them by politics. Thus I think you have some great people on both sides of the argument. I still don't know why a man cannot have one foot on one side and one on the other. Is there some "magic boundary"?

Also I think there are a lot of great JKD instructors around the globe who just aren't as famous as the men mentioned here.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dan I. has always impressed me. I have worked out with some of Jerry's guys and a few of them moved pretty well. I certainly agree on the Wed. night group.

I got a chance to attend a Dan Inosanto seminar this last weekend in St. Louis. The breadth of his knowledge of martial arts in general truly impressed me. The man is a genius. I also loved his philosophy on training, and how after training with him, he encourages his students to seek out other instructors in other disciplines to add to their art.

meltdown51

White Belt
Reaction score
I have attended seminars of Lamar Davis, Tim Tackett, Dan Inosanto, Joe Lewis, Burton Richardson, Larry Hartsell. They were all excellent and each has there own take on JKD. I suggest you train with anyone who has information.

Joe Melton

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has said Ted Wong yet. I'm not an original JKD guy myself (and I'm not really a JKD guy at all these days). But he's supposed to be really excellent.

I came to JKD through the Filipino martial arts, so I'm much more partial to the Inosanto lineage. (I associate much more closely with FMA than JKD these days.) So my own teacher (Guro Pat Finley) was from that lineage.

Stuart

Smoke

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of really good younger instructors/coaches out there that aren't famous like their older JKD brethren. Some of these guys I would put at the top of the list in terms of the skills they produce in relatively short times in their students. IMO, that is what we should really be looking at with regard to an instructor; can he help you develop fighting skill relatively quickly.

Otherwise, this list just becomes one of, who are the most "famous", or the most popular JKD instructors in the world.

In that sense, I have heard really good things about guys like Shaun Rudie and Rob Hunter. I know there are a herd of younger guys out there now that probably offer excellent instruction.

Has anyone done any google searches to see if there are any newer instructors/schools within your particular regions? Who are those guys if you do happen to fine them? It might be interesting to see some of their names?

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think there are a lot of really good younger instructors/coaches out there that aren't famous like their older JKD brethren. Some of these guys I would put at the top of the list in terms of the skills they produce in relatively short times in their students. IMO, that is what we should really be looking at with regard to an instructor; can he help you develop fighting skill relatively quickly.

Otherwise, this list just becomes one of, who are the most "famous", or the most popular JKD instructors in the world.

In that sense, I have heard really good things about guys like Shaun Rudie and Rob Hunter. I know there are a herd of younger guys out there now that probably offer excellent instruction.

Has anyone done any google searches to see if there are any newer instructors/schools within your particular regions? Who are those guys if you do happen to fine them? It might be interesting to see some of their names?

DC Metro area has quite a few. Off the top of my head, there's Pat Finley, Steve Braun, Mike Krivka, Pat Tray, and Scott Anderson. I know there's quite a few more, but can't pull their names out of my brain at the moment.

MrJKD

White Belt
Reaction score
I would put Chris Kent at near the top of that list, as he has a wealth of knowledge on JKD, having trained under Dan since 1973 & then braching off to start his own School, & also having access to the Bruces Library.

In addition I would also add my own Sifu Dave Carnell in England, he has spent time with Chris Kent, Ted Wong, Cass Madga & Tim Tacket & also the late Larry Hartsell, as well as spending in time in the states talking to the likes of Dan Lee, Taky Kimura & Bob Bremmer.

Their are a few clips on you tube of my Sifu

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would put Chris Kent at near the top of that list, as he has a wealth of knowledge on JKD, having trained under Dan since 1973 & then braching off to start his own School, & also having access to the Bruces Library.

In addition I would also add my own Sifu Dave Carnell in England, he has spent time with Chris Kent, Ted Wong, Cass Madga & Tim Tacket & also the late Larry Hartsell, as well as spending in time in the states talking to the likes of Dan Lee, Taky Kimura & Bob Bremmer.

Their are a few clips on you tube of my Sifu

Beat me to it Mr :)
Sifu Dave Carnell and Cass Magda, also a friend trains with Sifu Roni Crooks.

Latest Discussions