Have you gone from Kenpo to JKD?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you already know. Given the varying styles of JKD, you do know, some you probably don't realize you know. I didn't like the Kenpo stances including weight distribution. I don't know the names as you do but it was EPAK. I flow with whatever I'm working on or working with "today."

Thats why I don't know the names of other styles tehniques, stances and so forth. But it's the concepts, philosophies, theories and mechanics behind them which makes them "one" at times.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you already know.

Well, I am getting an idea. The JKD guys I am working with use toe-heel line for the Bai Jong, same as the Neutral Bow (EPAK stance). I have heard though that some JKD schools teach arch-heal alignment.

I have also notince that the angle on the front foot differs between JKD schools. Some are just like EPAK (approx 45 degrees or 1:30), some have the toes pointed straight forwad.

I didn't like the Kenpo stances including weight distribution.

My Kenpo school taught 50/50 weight distribution. Not sure if this is what you like, or don't like.

The biggest differences that I have found between the two stances is that JKD is sometimes more narrow, with the hips closed more, and the posture is a little different. Hand position is the same, however Kenpo keeps the hips beneath the shoulder and the back straight. JKD seem to favor a shoulders rolled boxing type of posture.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both my stances and footwork are a little differant than mainstream JKD. Subconciously that may have derived my discomfort with the stances. I prefer a stance half way bewteen a JKD Bai Jong and a kickboxing stance.

That works for me. I have my own twist on the shuffle too. I don't want to put it into words here for personal reasons. But I will say that "others" on other sites spend a lot of time "defining" JKD trying to discredit everyone else.

My edge is everyone knows what they know and they don't have a clue what I've discovered and teach my students.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
Both my stances and footwork are a little differant than mainstream JKD. Subconciously that may have derived my discomfort with the stances. I prefer a stance half way bewteen a JKD Bai Jong and a kickboxing stance.

That works for me. I have my own twist on the shuffle too. I don't want to put it into words here for personal reasons. But I will say that "others" on other sites spend a lot of time "defining" JKD trying to discredit everyone else.

My edge is everyone knows what they know and they don't have a clue what I've discovered and teach my students.

That makes sense. Perhaps next time I am in your area on business we can run through some foot work. I like learning new twists on things. I have a few of my own that my body just started doing, and my Kenpo instructor helped me make work... they work for me, although "unconventional".

I don't blame you for not wanting to share in this setting.

Mider1985

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like the look of Kenpo, i dont know alot of Jeet Kune do moves just that its a mixture of wing chun, american boxing, or westurn boxing, fencing etc etc.

Dan Inosanto studies ALOT of arts including Shooto, Fillipino Martial Arts, Silat, Muay Thai, and recently or most recently Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under the Machado Brothers

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had been involved in Kenpo for a while (liked the techniques) but the classes were done too much like the military for me so I left. Now I'm doing Filipino martial arts at a School run by a certified JKD instructor who studied with Dan Inosanto. I don't currently take the JKD class,but I was thinking about taking it as well. Eskrima seems flexiable and different enough that I don't get it and Kenpo confused. So my question is has anybody done Kenpo before who is now doing JKD? And did they find it confusiing at first? Or an easy switch?
Just a side note, and one that other's may have already inserted:

Dan Inosanto was a student of Ed Parker. Mr. Inosanto met Bruce Lee at Mr. Parker's tournament.

Your Brother
John

G

Gary Crawford

I am a Kenpo/jkd guy. I have been doing jkd for about ten years now and found it to blend well together. The jkd footwork was the biggest adjustment. I think the most common thing most jkd guys do have in common is a Kenpo background. The thing that attracted me to JKD is that I wanted something new to learn without "unlearning" anything. Once I got the basics down, well,I found it to be very liberating to be able to go learn from anyone or anything and incorporate the parts I like into my personal arsenal. Kenpo will always be my "base" style, but jkd has made my personal techniques more direct.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am a Kenpo/jkd guy. I have been doing jkd for about ten years now and found it to blend well together. The jkd footwork was the biggest adjustment. I think the most common thing most jkd guys do have in common is a Kenpo background. The thing that attracted me to JKD is that I wanted something new to learn without "unlearning" anything. Once I got the basics down, well,I found it to be very liberating to be able to go learn from anyone or anything and incorporate the parts I like into my personal arsenal. Kenpo will always be my "base" style, but jkd has made my personal techniques more direct.
There is some truth to that. No matter how much I do and where I go in the arts, I started in Karate and that is my "true base." Although I'm not learning Kenpo, I've been training lately with Kenpo and Eskrima Instructors. Thats me and I'm fine with it.

Latest Discussions