who actually thinks you can punch someone on top of you.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arlovskiKO.gif

Make sure you tell him hes not supposed to punch from his back also

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He wasn't mounted, nor was his trunk compressed.
Agree with you 100% there. When your opponent's both arms are all free, that's your mistake. IMO, a successful clinch or successful mount should require you to wrap your opponent's arms and take his striking ability away.

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are other ways to generate power for striking kiddo, don't want to believe, that's ok, I'm good with that..... have a nice day

No. You don't get to just be mysterious. That is a cop out.

If there are other ways to generate power that don't link your feet to your hips or your hands. Then you can explain them.

If you cant then nobody can believe you. And if you are fine with that. Then fair enough.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
preventing full power does not equal no power.

It is not a static position though. You do not want to be trading punches with a guy who is hitting harder than you.

And you would want to hit real hard to compete with the power generated by a person who is sitting on top of you. If you were to use this as an actual tactic.

If you were both tied up and you had nothing better to do. Hit them sure. But that would hardly be considered some sort of escape.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arlovskiKO.gif

Make sure you tell him hes not supposed to punch from his back also

I will also tell the other guy not to roll off top position to get leg locks. Because you can punch better from top.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

If there are other ways to generate power that don't link your feet to your hips or your hands. Then you can explain them.

If you cant then nobody can believe you. And if you are fine with that. Then fair enough.

Elbow in. Use the ground for power/support. You can also use "short" or "explosive" power cultivated in many softer CMA styles. But really, if you want a proper explanation, go train WC / XingYi / Tai Chi, etc.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Elbow in. Use the ground for power/support. You can also use "short" or "explosive" power cultivated in many softer CMA styles. But really, if you want a proper explanation, go train WC / XingYi / Tai Chi, etc.

See an actual explanation. Makes the poster sound like he knows what he is on about. Without the nonsense.

Not so hard.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He wasn't mounted, nor was his trunk compressed.
No but drop bear says you can't generate power if you waist feet connection or some nonsense like that is broken. His legs are tied up and he's on his back. But he seems pretty powerful to me

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will also tell the other guy not to roll off top position to get leg locks. Because you can punch better from top.
Great but that's not the topic. The topic is strikes when your on the bottom. He's on his back the other guy "has a position of advantage" until he get hit from the guy on his back

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is not a static position though. You do not want to be trading punches with a guy who is hitting harder than you.
I don't want to trade punches with anyone ever of I can avoid it.
And you would want to hit real hard to compete with the power generated by a person who is sitting on top of you. If you were to use this as an actual tactic.
What is "real hard" my real hard is different then your real hard. I want to hit hard enough to get a desired reaction.
If you were both tied up and you had nothing better to do. Hit them sure. But that would hardly be considered some sort of escape.
Who ever claimed hitting was a dorm of escape?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No but drop bear says you can't generate power if you waist feet connection or some nonsense like that is broken. His legs are tied up and he's on his back. But he seems pretty powerful to me

He was talking about the mounted position, not the position shown in that gif you posted.

If you notice, he DID have a connection to his trunk, hips, and feet in that gif. As soon as he punches, he curls his back, twists his hips, and pushes off with his free foot to generate enough power to punch the other guy in the face. In the mount, that connection is either broken, or heavily restricted.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He was talking about the mounted position, not the position shown in that gif you posted.

If you notice, he DID have a connection to his trunk, hips, and feet in that gif. As soon as he punches, he curls his back, twists his hips, and pushes off with his free foot to generate enough power to punch the other guy in the face. In the mount, that connection is either broken, or heavily restricted.
No he sat up so he could reach him. Punching isn't magic. It's pretty simple, ball up hand swing hand at other guys face. Any grown adult has enough muscle mass in their upper body to punch someone hard without the "proper" technique. Sure proper technique makes it even harder but im.strong enough with my right to cause a reaction even when im laying flat on my stomach with a guy trapping my left arm with his arms and handcuffs. I didn't use feet bone connected to the leg bone. I balled up my little right hand and hit him in his face.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No he sat up so he could reach him. Punching isn't magic. It's pretty simple, ball up hand swing hand at other guys face. Any grown adult has enough muscle mass in their upper body to punch someone hard without the "proper" technique. Sure proper technique makes it even harder but im.strong enough with my right to cause a reaction even when im laying flat on my stomach with a guy trapping my left arm with his arms and handcuffs. I didn't use feet bone connected to the leg bone. I balled up my little right hand and hit him in his face.

What are you going on about? No one said that punching is "magic". We're talking pure mechanics here, and the mechanics of what DB was talking about applies to the gif you posted. The fighter is clearly using his hips, trunk, and foot to generate power into that punch. Those things would be heavily restricted if the other guy had him in the position that DB was talking about, thus limiting the amount of power he could generate.

I have no issue with pointing out that DB is wrong that you can't punch effectively from your back. However, he is correct that your striking power is heavily limited if your opponent has you in a vastly inferior position like the high mount, modified mount, or the side mount. So much so, that trading punches with someone while in those positions is a terrible idea.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again just because you can't use proper mechanics or technique doesn't mean you can't throw an effective punch. Is it ideal no and I've never said otherwise but a full grown adult male has enough muscle to throw an effective punch without proper body mechanics. Would I purposely fight that way of course not but you can and I have done it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Don't much care what you believe and I am not going to train a stranger via the web. Been there done that and I did not much enjoy the result.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Great but that's not the topic. The topic is strikes when your on the bottom. He's on his back the other guy "has a position of advantage" until he get hit from the guy on his back

Well no he did not have a striking position of advantage. Hence why my comment links. See if he had jumped off a top position to hit that leg lock.(and most people do). Then he lost that advantage. Gave the other guy an opportunity to strike and escape.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't much care what you believe and I am not going to train a stranger via the web. Been there done that and I did not much enjoy the result.

You don't understand the concepts. Even argus had an idea of the mechanics that are occurring.

Why would you be training someone if you don't understand the subject?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well no he did not have a striking position of advantage. Hence why my comment links. See if he had jumped off a top position to hit that leg lock.(and most people do). Then he lost that advantage. Gave the other guy an opportunity to strike and escape.
Again trying to change the questions to fit the answer you want. The guy on top is irrelevant. The guy on bottom doesn't have perfect mechanics or body position so according to you strikes are not effective. Well that's just not the case