who actually thinks you can punch someone on top of you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well punch them effectively anyway.

The issue you have is that any strike relies on using your body weight which is why you practice stances and junk.

If you are on your back most of the ability to generate force is gone. Where the guy on top can use his body and use gravity.

So the next step is to poke in eye or bite or something. But you still face the same issue. They can eyegouge better bite better and strike better in general.

And striking is a natural defence to pain. So say you outright blind a guy. There is no reason for him to get off you. He can still win from that position. Can still hit you and will probably choose to do that rather than roll off and let you kick him to death.

Just sayin.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently ballen actually thinks that.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are ways to increase the effectiveness of strikes from a disadvantaged position, such as choosing appropriate targets, using smaller surface area (e.g. middle knuckle strike instead of punch). What you can do also depends on what position you are in.

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are ways to increase the effectiveness of strikes from a disadvantaged position, such as choosing appropriate targets, using smaller surface area (e.g. middle knuckle strike instead of punch). What you can do also depends on what position you are in.

Noog
So why is that always the next step?

Because out right punching doesn't work and people try to validate the effectiveness of that bottom punch by converting it to a noogie or something.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, when you say "someone on top of you", are we talking about mount?

Striking from the bottom of mount is a very bad idea that will generally result in getting hurt badly.

There are some good ways to strike effectively from bottom of guard, although it's not generally my first go-to move.

Striking from bottom of side mount or knee ride is generally not effective, but there are a couple of specific strikes you can sometimes land effectively if the person on top screws up.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This guy agrees with me

20080326067.jpg

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well punch them effectively anyway.

The issue you have is that any strike relies on using your body weight which is why you practice stances and junk.

If you are on your back most of the ability to generate force is gone. Where the guy on top can use his body and use gravity.

So the next step is to poke in eye or bite or something. But you still face the same issue. They can eyegouge better bite better and strike better in general.

And striking is a natural defence to pain. So say you outright blind a guy. There is no reason for him to get off you. He can still win from that position. Can still hit you and will probably choose to do that rather than roll off and let you kick him to death.

Just sayin.

Winning (sport)...or survival (life and death).....they ain't the same...just sayin

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had one of my guys win by KO when mounted by a rt/left combo. Have seen a few TKO's from bottom as well.
Not something that happens much but it does happen. So, Yes punches can be effective against someone on top. There are other actions that have much higher percentage of effectiveness but punches can be as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had one of my guys win by KO when mounted by a rt/left combo. Have seen a few TKO's from bottom as well.
Not something that happens much but it does happen. So, Yes punches can be effective against someone on top. There are other actions that have much higher percentage of effectiveness but punches can be as well.

I've seen good punching to the guy on top, there's actually little reason why you can't hit hard especially if you are a heavy hitter anyway. Practice punches from your back, it's good exercise anyway and you never know when you could use them, always room for more techniques in your armoury.
I do think ridiculing someone because they think punches from the back are viable and you don't agree is a bit low...especially when you are wrong. Who said punching is reliant on body weight anyway? Technique, technique, technique every time. I'm seen big guys who can't punch their way out of a wet paper bag and light weight who will break your jaw if they connect.

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just to clarify, when you say "someone on top of you", are we talking about mount?

Striking from the bottom of mount is a very bad idea that will generally result in getting hurt badly.

There are some good ways to strike effectively from bottom of guard, although it's not generally my first go-to move.

Striking from bottom of side mount or knee ride is generally not effective, but there are a couple of specific strikes you can sometimes land effectively if the person on top screws up.

What circumstances?

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen good punching to the guy on top, there's actually little reason why you can't hit hard especially if you are a heavy hitter anyway. Practice punches from your back, it's good exercise anyway and you never know when you could use them, always room for more techniques in your armoury.
I do think ridiculing someone because they think punches from the back are viable and you don't agree is a bit low...especially when you are wrong. Who said punching is reliant on body weight anyway? Technique, technique, technique every time. I'm seen big guys who can't punch their way out of a wet paper bag and light weight who will break your jaw if they connect.

Good technique relies on utilizing your body weight. Which you don't have on your back with someone sitting on you.

Do you think this is comon that a guy gets koed from under mount?

Danny t has mentioned the only one I have ever heard of.

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, as can bee seen in this video of the whole fight. While not exactly the most effective thing to do from from under in mount, it is definately possible. If nothing else, at least it proves once again that absolutes is uncommon in the real world. And yes, despite the name of the video, it IS from bottom mount, not guard. Just watch the video, and see for yourself.

This one is also interesting, although it's a little bit more unclear what actually happened. The top fighter might just have been gassing and fainting at the same time he was hit by the bottom fighter:

And while trying to do effective punching from bottom mount isn't exactly recommended, or very common, effective striking from bottom guard isn't uncommon. Check out Arlovski rocking De Pano for example. And Joachim Hansen's run in Pride and Dream definitely proved that effective punches from bottom guard is not just possible but can be very effective.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good technique relies on utilizing your body weight. Which you don't have on your back with someone sitting on you.

Do you think this is comon that a guy gets koed from under mount?

Danny t has mentioned the only one I have ever heard of.

So, unless something you say works it doesn't. :rolleyes:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, as can bee seen in this video of the whole fight. While not exactly the most effective thing to do from from under in mount, it is definately possible. If nothing else, at least it proves once again that absolutes is uncommon in the real world. And yes, despite the name of the video, it IS from bottom mount, not guard. Just watch the video, and see for yourself.

This one is also interesting, although it's a little bit more unclear what actually happened. The top fighter might just have been gassing and fainting at the same time he was hit by the bottom fighter:

And while trying to do effective punching from bottom mount isn't exactly recommended, or very common, effective striking from bottom guard isn't uncommon. Check out Arlovski rocking De Pano for example. And Joachim Hansen's run in Pride and Dream definitely proved that effective punches from bottom guard is not just possible but can be very effective.
Very interesting. I would say those represent a one in a thousand fluke shot, but it does go to show that anything can happen in a fight, even if it's not particularly likely. I agree that the second fight is unclear - those strikes from the bottom didn't look that effective - maybe the top fighter just cut too much weight and fainted from dehydration or something. However in the first fight you can see how the punch landed just right. Crazy outcome! Thanks for sharing that.

Latest Discussions