who actually thinks you can punch someone on top of you.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just like throwing a pencil at a bad guy from 30 ft away.
Nope you can't have have it both ways. You can't troll other style sections of this forum with demands of video evidence things work. Then you get it here and pretend it doesn't work and it was a fluke. Your hypocrisy is glowing bright.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nope you can't have have it both ways. You can't troll other style sections of this forum with demands of video evidence things work. Then you get it here and pretend it doesn't work and it was a fluke. Your hypocrisy is glowing bright.

I didn't say it didn't work or that it wasn't possible. I said that it isn't effective. There's a difference.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just like throwing a pencil at a bad guy from 30 ft away.

Interesting statement...ever see what the Chinese use to do and some still with throwing a chopstick.... heck even I've done it....

I said don't rely on desperation tactics like trying to punch someone in the head who is sitting on your chest. Why shouldn't you rely on such tactics? Because they're not effective.

Who said it would be desperation and why is the head the only target?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The question was "who actually thinks you can punch someone on top of you" and then the caveat "Well punch them effectively anyway" was added.
The answer for Hanzou is no.
For some of us it is yes.
The thing is the question wasn't who actually thinks you can punch someone on top of you 'efficiently'.
Huge Difference.
With someone on top there are other go to moves or actions that should be effective and more efficient. However, there are those times when they are not. When that happens punching can be effective 'if' the punch contacts properly although punching at the particular time may not be very efficient.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Punching from bottom doesn't have to be to the head, you can pull your opponent in and punch to ribs which is hugely distracting. You can elbow to your opponents thighs. Both techniques taught by Bas Rutten btw.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You can do a lot by striking even while mounted.
A punch is not just a punch; it can wedge out or deflect the guy who is on top trying to hit YOU. Also by trying to "pull something" back with your punch it can become a grab to destabalize them and reverse the mount (though gloves make the wrist a harder spot to get grip on). A successful grab can get them closer and outside of that angle / range where they can hit you a lot easier than you can hit them.
Shrimping, bridging, and all those other bjj counters that I don't know must be good too..... but I fail to see how being on your back automatically makes a punch ineffective. A vertical punch pistons the fist forward using the elbow. You already have the ground beneath you that you are pushing against.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once again...wrong... so what exactly are you basing all this on...your vast background spent training for years in multiple styles.

My knowledge of what the street is.

Which just seems to be the person who can make up the best fiction to be honest.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Punching from bottom doesn't have to be to the head, you can pull your opponent in and punch to ribs which is hugely distracting. You can elbow to your opponents thighs. Both techniques taught by Bas Rutten btw.

Yeah but not exactly very popular any more. Even that heel kicking in guard does not seem to do much.

How are you dealing with downward elbows while this is going on? I mean you start a boxing match down there you would not want to eat too many shots back.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, as can bee seen in this video of the whole fight. While not exactly the most effective thing to do from from under in mount, it is definately possible. If nothing else, at least it proves once again that absolutes is uncommon in the real world. And yes, despite the name of the video, it IS from bottom mount, not guard. Just watch the video, and see for yourself.

This one is also interesting, although it's a little bit more unclear what actually happened. The top fighter might just have been gassing and fainting at the same time he was hit by the bottom fighter:

And while trying to do effective punching from bottom mount isn't exactly recommended, or very common, effective striking from bottom guard isn't uncommon. Check out Arlovski rocking De Pano for example. And Joachim Hansen's run in Pride and Dream definitely proved that effective punches from bottom guard is not just possible but can be very effective.

I am impressed you found that. Be interesting to see why that works. I would suggest to spazzy on top. But it does leave an opening for the guy to strike from the bottom.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but not exactly very popular any more. Even that heel kicking in guard does not seem to do much.

How are you dealing with downward elbows while this is going on? I mean you start a boxing match down there you would not want to eat too many shots back.

Are you telling us you don't know how to defend from the bottom?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two more that won from punches and strikes from the bottom. Andrei Arvoloski v Marcio Cruz and Mamed Khalidov v Jorge Santiago. Both fights on YT.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am impressed you found that. Be interesting to see why that works. I would suggest to spazzy on top. But it does leave an opening for the guy to strike from the bottom.

Do you mean have a spaz attack and start slapping like a bird?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

'Spazzy'...not very nice word to use, it's short for spastic, which used to be what people with cerebral palsy and other conditions used to be called. Suggesting something that mimics disabled people is crude and really not respectful.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I said don't rely on desperation tactics like trying to punch someone in the head who is sitting on your chest. Why should you rely on such tactics? Because they're not effective.

I don't think "effective" is the right word here. In those (very rare) occasions where it worked (as seen in the videos above), then it was undeniably effective. I would say that the tactic is not "efficient" or "high-percentage" or "likely to succeed". Those are probably better terms to use.

A Hail Mary is far from a desperation move. Teams practice it because it works. It is very effective when your opponent isnt ready. For example you believe it could NEVER work so you wouldnt be expecting it, wont train to defend it, and wont be ready for it then all of a sudden bam your lights get turned off

I think you hit on a key point here. Striking from the bottom very, very rarely succeeds. One reason it did succeed in the videos shown above is that the fighter on top was making absolutely no effort to defend against the strikes from the bottom. The fighters training and experience had taught them that they had nothing to fear from the person on bottom, and so they pretty much ignored all the strikes coming up. Most of the time, fighters can get away with that because the top person has a huge mechanical advantage. However, most of the time is not all of the time. If the top fighters had recognized that, they could have protected themselves a bit better and won the fight.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Two more that won from punches and strikes from the bottom. Andrei Arvoloski v Marcio Cruz and Mamed Khalidov v Jorge Santiago. Both fights on YT.
I can't find the Arlovski vs Cruz fight. Do you have a link?

I watched the end of the Khalidov vs Santiago fight. Didn't see any striking from the bottom. was there some particular point during the fight you were thinking of?

Latest Discussions