whiplash?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think too they are just asking for general information just as many of us do with their friends, relatives and fellow martial artists.

This person did not ask for general information. They gave a 43 word synopsis of what happened to them and asked a very specific question.

Karatemom said:
do you think it's safe to go back to class/spar?

I find it highly irresponsible for you, Tez, or anyone to come along and say things like "I once had a bad dr give me a bad dignosis and therefore maybe your dr is giving you a bad diagnosis" or words to that effect therefore giving the impression that it is likely a not a bad idea to return to sparring so soon after being involved in traffic accident.

Further I think it would be stupid of someone to take such advice over the advice of a doctor. And yes, I know it may sound cold and callus, but I love stories of Darwinism in action. And this is setting up to be just such a story. You know stories like people putting guns to their head and pulling the trigger thinking the gun was empty, or my all time favorite some guy in a very cold place couldn't start his car so he thought it would be a good idea to heat some gasoline on his stove one morning thinking that his car would start if the gas was warmed up. That guy seems like the type of person who probably posted on an internet forum one day looking for tips on how to start his car in cold weather.

Anyway, I am done with this topic, as I think I have made my point of view clear. Have a nice day.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be taken as being irresponsible misquoting me and putting words in my mouth.
It's perfectly possible to put forward an opinion in a respectful and less scornful manner.

I actually do think ignoring a doctors advice is unwise but I was defending the right of people to ask others what they thought on here.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps we'd prefer to take advice off fellow martial artists who have no monetary gain in giving their advice and have shown in the past their genuine concern of others.
I'm not sure how the doctor in question makes more money by telling a suspected whiplash victim to take it easy for a week. He'd stand to make more by encouraging risky activity that could potentially lead to expensive treatments.

He'd also be an unethical louse.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the doctor in question makes more money by telling a suspected whiplash victim to take it easy for a week. He'd stand to make more by encouraging risky activity that could potentially lead to expensive treatments.

He'd also be an unethical louse.

As I said our docs are free so it was just a thought as to why people may ask for advice on here, it wasn't necessarily referring to the whiplash case. The allegation if I can put it that way was that people who asked for medical opinions/advice etc on here were being stupid, I was just thinking of reasons why they may wish to ask.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said our docs are free so it was just a thought as to why people may ask for advice on here, it wasn't necessarily referring to the whiplash case. The allegation if I can put it that way was that people who asked for medical opinions/advice etc on here were being stupid, I was just thinking of reasons why they may wish to ask.
Fair enough.

Though in a case like this, my inclination is to think that the poster asking the question simply doesn't like the diagnosis and is chiefly looking for permission to ignore the doctor's concerns.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This person did not ask for general information. They gave a 43 word synopsis of what happened to them and asked a very specific question.

I find it highly irresponsible for you, Tez, or anyone to come along and say things like "I once had a bad dr give me a bad dignosis and therefore maybe your dr is giving you a bad diagnosis" or words to that effect therefore giving the impression that it is likely a not a bad idea to return to sparring so soon after being involved in traffic accident.

Further I think it would be stupid of someone to take such advice over the advice of a doctor. And yes, I know it may sound cold and callus, but I love stories of Darwinism in action. And this is setting up to be just such a story. You know stories like people putting guns to their head and pulling the trigger thinking the gun was empty, or my all time favorite some guy in a very cold place couldn't start his car so he thought it would be a good idea to heat some gasoline on his stove one morning thinking that his car would start if the gas was warmed up. That guy seems like the type of person who probably posted on an internet forum one day looking for tips on how to start his car in cold weather.

Anyway, I am done with this topic, as I think I have made my point of view clear. Have a nice day.

Sheesh, what set you off today?!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough.

Though in a case like this, my inclination is to think that the poster asking the question simply doesn't like the diagnosis and is chiefly looking for permission to ignore the doctor's concerns.

The chances are then that the OP would ignore the doctor's advice in any case whether we gave advice or not and the advice here was the same as the doctors anyway showing that we are actually sensible and there was no need to kick off at us!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder how much of this was actually helpful to the OPer?

Lordy ....

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe since she is laid up she has a little more time? ^_^

OP
karatemom

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I had no idea that asking if others had a similar experience and what they did or would do would cause so much controversy!
The ER doc that saw me (for maybe 5 min total) doesn't know me and I wanted opinions from my fellow martial artists. I did go to class last night but did not spar and the neck is doing ok this morning - a little stiff but not too terribly bad.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I had no idea that asking if others had a similar experience and what they did or would do would cause so much controversy!
The ER doc that saw me (for maybe 5 min total) doesn't know me and I wanted opinions from my fellow martial artists. I did go to class last night but did not spar and the neck is doing ok this morning - a little stiff but not too terribly bad.

Karatemom:
Dont let ones opinion or negative response deter you from asking questions. Keep in mind that everyone will have an opinion and it is your responsibility to use your judgement and take what you can from it. A REAL Master or Martial Artist will give you stories of experiences they have personally experienced and always caution you toward safety of yourself. It is always best to side with caution. Only you know your body but when you are new with experiences, you may not recognize what you are feeling or how to adjust or cope. And A doctor more than likely has not experienced the pain or injury himself. This is where asking others who may have experienced what you are going through for advise. Of course a doctor should know best, but like you said, if they only see you for 5 inutes and rush you out, you are left with questions that didnt get answered. Its okay to ask and feel free to ask anything you wish. There are many "STUPID" posts here and nothing you ask will be near as stupid as some of the others. Don't be affraid.
But at the same time know that the people responding really have no face or reputation behind it. Many people just have a smart *** comment or wish to argue or bicker. There are people in life who only wish to say no when everyone else says yes, just to be the roadblock that gets some attention. They needed more hugs as a child... thats all. no one ever paid attention to them so this is their way of getting it.

This comment is not pointed at one particular person, only an overall concensus of the constant chiming in to argue or dissagree on a constant basis throughout this forum. But there will be one person who will respond to this defensively or negatively.... you'll see.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I really hope this crapstorm doesn't sway you from doing the same in the future. I would see your regular doctor as soon as you are able and refrain from jarring activities until that time - not medical advice, per se, just good sound reason.

Please let us know how you're doing. :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really hope this crapstorm doesn't sway you from doing the same in the future. I would see your regular doctor as soon as you are able and refrain from jarring activities until that time - not medical advice, per se, just good sound reason.

Please let us know how you're doing. :)

Wot she said! :)

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
After reading this thread I must say not only does my neck hurt now, but also my head.:angel:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I got whiplash in much the same way, a car came from behind and hit ours, I also got a rather nice insurance payout of nearly two thousand pounds from the offending driver's insurance company! That was about six years ago or so now.

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps we'd prefer to take advice off fellow martial artists who have no monetary gain in giving their advice and have shown in the past their genuine concern of others.
In the UK medical advice is free but as I believe you have to pay for all yours so a quick ask of us may be beneficial.
After my car crash I went to a physotherapist two days afterwards and she re aligned my neck and that removed my headache.

Are you sure your not the Black Knight From " Monty Python and the Holy Grail" ? LOL!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
don't make me break out the clown suit - eh - new uniform!