whiplash?

karatemom

Green Belt
Reaction score
was in a car accident a couple of days ago, (got hit by an SUV while at a red light and the impact pushed me into the car in front of me also stopped at red light) neck still a little sore, Dr. just said no TKD for a couple of days... do you think it's safe to go back to class/spar? Have a tournament in 10 days... I so did not need this right now.

Last edited:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd listen to the doctor on this one. Your body has taken quite a hit! Give yourself some time to heal.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yiekes!

I think the Whiplash is mostly soft tissue damage...nothing too serious.

However considering how sore and stiff you are, you probably don't need to go out and spar. You will have more chances for tournaments, but that health issue is a bit more important!

When my Mother-in-law had a bad crash a few years back, it took her a a while to feel some other ailments she got in the crash.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always find it fascinating when people turn to an internet forum full of complete strangers to seek advice about ignoring the recommendations of doctors, lawyers, tax accountants etc...

So if you ask me, as a technical school dropout, for my professional opinion about your health, keeping in mind that I have never met you and have no idea the extent of your injuries, I say sure, get out there and fight. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!! Why waste this opportunity at 3 or 4 minutes of ring time? Especially if you have already paid and can't get a refund on your entry fees.

Oh and while I am at it, have you heard that it is illegal for the govt to collect taxes? So another piece of advice I have for you is that you should not bother to file tax returns any longer. It is just a scam. In fact, you should just send an anthrax laced letter to the IRS next April 15th explaining to them that some guy on an internet forum told you that you don't need to pay taxes any longer.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
because, maybe, we might have been in a similar situation.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We have no idea exactly what her situation is. That is my point. Just because you may have been in an accident and suffered from whiplash, does not mean that you can read what someone that you have never met types into this forum and offer medical advice to either ignore what a doctor has said or to follow a doctors orders.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As much as I would like to say... be tough and get out there.... truth is, sometimes the real damage takes time to reveal itself. The accident could have cause a herniated disc. of course this is worse case, but possible. I would recommend taking it easy for a few days and seeing how you feel. Take plenty of alieve or motrin to help with inflamation. If you feel a pinching or numbness in your arms, fingers or shoulders... go back to the doctor and request an MRI. I would say always take precaution when it comes to your neck and back.
Good luck.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
was in a car accident a couple of days ago, (got hit by an SUV while at a red light and the impact pushed me into the car in front of me also stopped at red light) neck still a little sore, Dr. just said no TKD for a couple of days... do you think it's safe to go back to class/spar? Have a tournament in 10 days... I so did not need this right now.

Take a rest. Grinding yourself to a nub before a tournament isn't helpful even without a neck injury. You can go a week without working out. You won't lose anything.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we'd prefer to take advice off fellow martial artists who have no monetary gain in giving their advice and have shown in the past their genuine concern of others.
In the UK medical advice is free but as I believe you have to pay for all yours so a quick ask of us may be beneficial.
After my car crash I went to a physotherapist two days afterwards and she re aligned my neck and that removed my headache.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I would like to add Karatemom is listen to your doctor about the time one needs to heal after being hurt, tournaments are a dime a drozen and at the age of being older takes more time to heal.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As much as I would like to say... be tough and get out there.... truth is, sometimes the real damage takes time to reveal itself. The accident could have cause a herniated disc. of course this is worse case, but possible. I would recommend taking it easy for a few days and seeing how you feel. Take plenty of alieve or motrin to help with inflamation. If you feel a pinching or numbness in your arms, fingers or shoulders... go back to the doctor and request an MRI. I would say always take precaution when it comes to your neck and back.
Good luck.

My mother-in-law had a bad crash a few years back, it took her I think a couple of weeks to realize she had a cracked sternum...(that was also the reason she was urged not to sign off on the compensation from the insurance too quickly. While we all loath ambulance chasers, a good lawyer is worth his pay!)

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Once more... the only answer is the answer your doctor gives you. This should be a one post and reply thread.

Dave O.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once more... the only answer is the answer your doctor gives you. This should be a one post and reply thread.

Dave O.

I disagree. A couple of years ago my doctor diagnosed me and turned out to be completely wrong, it was members of MT that actually pointed me in the right direction and led to a correct diagnosis and treatment from a different doctor. I should add too that the misdiagnosis almost led to my death. The doctor was later dismissed from the practice not just because of mine but of many other misdiagnosis he made.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I've had regular whiplash and sideways whiplash and I'll tell you ... see a physical therapist and at least lay off any falls, jumping, sparring or other jarring motions.

See the physical therapist for your neck or ask for it from the doc just to make sure you get as complete a recovery from this as possible. Whiplash is no laughing matter.

The only reason, btw, I gave you this advice is 1. I used to work for a physical therapist who saw a lot of people with whiplash who neglected it and 2. I've had it and have been through it.

But I would definitely not go back to class without some kind of clearance from your doctor.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. A couple of years ago my doctor diagnosed me and turned out to be completely wrong, it was members of MT that actually pointed me in the right direction and led to a correct diagnosis and treatment from a different doctor. I should add too that the misdiagnosis almost led to my death. The doctor was later dismissed from the practice not just because of mine but of many other misdiagnosis he made.

Well, somewhere on the planet is the world's worst medical doctor. That is a statistical fact. Somewhere else on the planet is the world's best medical doctor, again a statistical fact. Every other medical doctor on the planet falls somewhere in between the 2 people listed above.

Perhaps your personal experience was with the world's worst dr, at the time. I do not know. But I do know that it is completly irresponsible for anyone here, even if they are a medical dr, to tell the OP that they should compete or not compete in a game of physical combat, based upon a 43 word synopsis of what happened to them, without performing a physical examination of the person.

So here is my advice to Karatemom. Listen to your doctor and do what he / she tells you. Should you choose to ignore your trained medical professional and take the advice of the people here or on any other internet forum, not only should you get exactly what you deserve, but I hope you do get exactly what you deserve that that when we read the story of your extended hospital or perhaps mortuary stay that there is a blurb in the story about how you only competed because someone on a internet forum suggested it was OK to ignore your doctor and that you didn't want to lose your $60 non-refundable entry fee.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have trust that people who post on here are more selective in who they listen to than you imply. I think too they are just asking for general information just as many of us do with their friends, relatives and fellow martial artists. There's many posters on here yet only a few who's advice I know to be sound and worth listening to.

I don't know if it's the impending winter approaching but there is running through MT at the moment a general air of intolerance and harsher criticism than necessary and it's unpleasant. More posters are turning to scorn than we are used to, it is just as easy to give more gracious advice without losing any truthfulness and it does befit a martial artist to be that way.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Should you choose to ignore your trained medical professional and take the advice of the people here or on any other internet forum, not only should you get exactly what you deserve, but I hope you do get exactly what you deserve that that when we read the story of your extended hospital or perhaps mortuary stay that there is a blurb in the story about how you only competed because someone on a internet forum suggested it was OK to ignore your doctor and that you didn't want to lose your $60 non-refundable entry fee.

Dude, what the **** is your problem?
what kind of dick says "I hope you do get exactly what you deserve" to someone who is asking others for an opinion.
Reading through the thread, no one said, your doctors a dumbass dont listen to him and go fight. Most people replied with stories of personal experiences, which is what karatemom was looking for.
heres my point..... a cancer patient finds comfort in speaking with others about their illness. In your world, you think that they should NOT speak with anyone about thier delima and see how others cope.
"when we read the story of your extended hospital or perhaps mortuary stay... "
Your one ****ed up individual to say that.
what an ******* you are.

Last edited:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dude, what the **** is your problem?
what kind of dick says "I hope you do get exactly what you deserve" to someone who is asking others for an opinion.
Reading through the thread, no one said, your doctors a dumbass dont listen to him and go fight. Most people replied with stories of personal experiences, which is what karatemom was looking for.
heres my point..... a cancer patient finds comfort in speaking with others about their illness. In your world, you think that they should NOT speak with anyone about thier delima and see how others cope.
"when we read the story of your extended hospital or perhaps mortuary stay... "
Your one ****ed up individual to say that.
what an ******* you are.

Dude ... calm down, cuz your post was not much better, mkay?

Report these things, man. Use the RTM feature when people are rude like that and a red flag will go up for the mods and the rest of the staff; let them take care of it.

You can also put idiots ... er, I mean, *other users* ... on "ignore" which works nicely. :)

Go have a cup of coffee ... decaf ... on me.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Admin Note:

ATTN ALL USERS

There have already been 2 reported posts from this thread. I suggest everyone take a moment and refresh themselves on the forum rules. Stop with the name calling and personal shots. If you can't post without calling someone a name, then dont post!

Further disruption of the forum and disregard for the rules, will result in the thread being locked, and IC points handed out.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, somewhere on the planet is the world's worst medical doctor. That is a statistical fact. Somewhere else on the planet is the world's best medical doctor, again a statistical fact. Every other medical doctor on the planet falls somewhere in between the 2 people listed above.

Perhaps your personal experience was with the world's worst dr, at the time. I do not know. But I do know that it is completly irresponsible for anyone here, even if they are a medical dr, to tell the OP that they should compete or not compete in a game of physical combat, based upon a 43 word synopsis of what happened to them, without performing a physical examination of the person.

So here is my advice to Karatemom. Listen to your doctor and do what he / she tells you. Should you choose to ignore your trained medical professional and take the advice of the people here or on any other internet forum, not only should you get exactly what you deserve, but I hope you do get exactly what you deserve that that when we read the story of your extended hospital or perhaps mortuary stay that there is a blurb in the story about how you only competed because someone on a internet forum suggested it was OK to ignore your doctor and that you didn't want to lose your $60 non-refundable entry fee.

I must point out that you are also someone giving your advice on the internet! :) I also think the same points can be made in a more respectful fashion.

Latest Discussions