which other art helps martial artests the most

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dose anyone think dance (that's what they call it) with all the wild gyrations and flailing of the arms and grinding of the pelves helps. I would say that ball room dancing and ballet might but I am not sure about the modern dancing.
Any Form of Dance that requires you to bend your dang knees, to include twerking, will help you be a better fighter. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Go/Baduk (or chess) is helpful for developing the ability to think strategically. Both Gen. Choi, Hong Hi and GM Choi, Yong Sul were known to play Baduk.

Pax,

Chris
Chess can get you killed. Go is more a life skill. Where as, chess might be great for the actual battle, it was probably why you ended up in battle. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Alright you study a martial art ( for the purpose of this thread any art sport, or non sport, traditional or non traditional ) but what non martial art do you thinks helps you as a martial artist and why?
Dance, poetry, painting, etc.

Yoga helped me a lot with flexibility, connectivity and relaxation. But something else that is surprising me a lot that seems to help is playing music. For some reason the attitude or feeling I am getting from playing the guitar (again) or the Didgeridoo seems to cross over in a positive way. And I just noticed this during the last part of my 5 weeks off from just about everything due to my eye issue

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So why would Chess get you killed?
The, "Life is chess, chess is life" people are The Winston Churchhills, or General McArther's of the World. They are awesome in battle, but they need to be put off to the side in times of peace. They are just plain anti-social, to be honest. :)

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The, "Life is chess, chess is life" people are The Winston Churchhills, or General McArther's of the World. They are awesome in battle, but they need to be put off to the side in times of peace. They are just plain anti-social, to be honest. :)

So are you saying that Bobby Fischer was like Churchhill or McArther?

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I consider strength training an art, so there you go. lol.

I study philosophy a lot too. I think all martial artists should have a background in philosophical studies.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weightlifting has really helped me. Now before people say that weightlifting isn't an art, form and good technique play a big role in weightlifting, just like they do in the martial arts. Also, while I don't do this myself, some people go into muscle contests and bodybuilding contests where your body is a work of art.

I agree. I train body building and strength training. At some point I would like to do a natural body building competition just to have accomplished this personal goal and to have experienced it. And I find it similar to martial arts training in that one needs to have complete focus, commitment and a progressive plan for improvement. The carryover of each helps the other I've found.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. I train body building and strength training. At some point I would like to do a natural body building competition just to have accomplished this personal goal and to have experienced it. And I find it similar to martial arts training in that one needs to have complete focus, commitment and a progressive plan for improvement. The carryover of each helps the other I've found.

Also, here's the thing. Weightlifting, along with martial arts, is a fountain of youth. Just look at Bill Pearl. I don't know if he ever trained in martial arts but he has been a weightlifter since he was a child.

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think Strength and Performance Training is a perfect addition or compliment to martial arts. If I'm going to spend my efforts training something else, I want it have the physical and mental benefits that will enhance my martial skills.

I don't just mean going to the gym and doing some curls. I mean training like an athlete or a fighter.

Kettlebell training
Sandbag Training
Strongman Training
Mace Training
Indian Clubs
Etc.

Along with that Gymnastics Strength Training. We have incorporated this at my school and it's greatly increased my mobility and flexibility for Jiu-Jitsu and other combat arts that I train.

You'll find that with all these modalities, they aren't just about getting stronger, but to go through challenging workout, you need to mental fortitude as well.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Calligraphy is very underrated for teaching patience. Especially when many characters only have slight differences so require the utmost perfection. I'm an avid Baduk player and firmly believe these types of games are great for teaching someone to think a few moves ahead, while still paying attention to what is going on now.

I personally don't consider strength training an art. Although it is important, especially since you can tailor a workout for whatever results you're looking for. So if you do consider it one, its definitely a good one to pair MA's with.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Alright you study a martial art ( for the purpose of this thread any art sport, or non sport, traditional or non traditional ) but what non martial art do you thinks helps you as a martial artist and why?
Dance, poetry, painting, etc.

"shooting" for me shooting is a wonmderfull thing and in some cases is soem kind of martial art too.

Manny

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I teach high school ceramics. I throw on the wheel standing up. Old school. The way old time production potters and village artesans used to. For a while I got into throwing fairly large pieces. Try centering 25 lbs of clay efficiently while standing. You learn to root and draw strength "from the ground up". It also made me more relaxed, and fluid. When you have it down, it's real kung fu.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The pole hanging is also part of the Chinese wrestling training.

pole_hanging.png

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The pole hanging is also part of the Chinese wrestling training.

pole_hanging.png

Bruce Lee popularized the Dragon Flag, which is like one of the best and coolest looking core exercises ever invented. That pole hang reminded me of the Dragon Flag.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, here's the thing. Weightlifting, along with martial arts, is a fountain of youth. Just look at Bill Pearl. I don't know if he ever trained in martial arts but he has been a weightlifter since he was a child.

I think Strength and Performance Training is a perfect addition or compliment to martial arts. If I'm going to spend my efforts training something else, I want it have the physical and mental benefits that will enhance my martial skills.

I don't just mean going to the gym and doing some curls. I mean training like an athlete or a fighter.

Kettlebell training
Sandbag Training
Strongman Training
Mace Training
Indian Clubs
Etc.

Along with that Gymnastics Strength Training. We have incorporated this at my school and it's greatly increased my mobility and flexibility for Jiu-Jitsu and other combat arts that I train.

You'll find that with all these modalities, they aren't just about getting stronger, but to go through challenging workout, you need to mental fortitude as well.

There are several training methodologies that I've done over the years that have helped my martial arts training. Stonglifts 5X5 is excellent for gaining a tremendous amount of strength in a relatively short time. GVT (German Volume Training) is also good for developing power but also stamina/endurance.

A drill we've done in the past is to take stacks of weight duct taped together (36lbs) and hold them under the chin, go into an ATG squat position and explosively jump and throw the 'brick' as far as possible. Go over to where it landed and repeat till you puke. That builds quite a bit of full body power.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"shooting" for me shooting is a wonmderfull thing and in some cases is soem kind of martial art too.

Manny

I agree. Firearms training, to me is part of the martial arts. And it is a good compliment to any/all self defense arts. I teach academies and in-service classes for L.E. and Corrections (as well as private citizens). A great enjoyment.

Latest Discussions