which other art helps martial artests the most

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I consider strength training an art, so there you go. lol.

I study philosophy a lot too. I think all martial artists should have a background in philosophical studies.

You are not the only one who has that mindset.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Strength and Performance Training is a perfect addition or compliment to martial arts. If I'm going to spend my efforts training something else, I want it have the physical and mental benefits that will enhance my martial skills.

I don't just mean going to the gym and doing some curls. I mean training like an athlete or a fighter.

Kettlebell training
Sandbag Training
Strongman Training
Mace Training
Indian Clubs
Etc.

Along with that Gymnastics Strength Training. We have incorporated this at my school and it's greatly increased my mobility and flexibility for Jiu-Jitsu and other combat arts that I train.

You'll find that with all these modalities, they aren't just about getting stronger, but to go through challenging workout, you need to mental fortitude as well.
I agree, in fact I agree so much that I think the government should mandate lifting with your legs. Make it a requirement in junior high or something. Imagine all the people living world without pain. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.... :singing:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree, in fact I agree so much that I think the government should mandate lifting with your legs. Make it a requirement in junior high or something. Imagine all the people living world without pain. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.... :singing:

yeah that is the thing that surprises people at our gym. When we get them to lift properly. Suddenly that health and safety poster at work makes sense.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Music for me as well. Lining up your timing perfectly with another musician uses fractions of a second that most people aren't even aware of. Sound familiar? And video games for reflexes.

The mindset that makes a good musician is also that which makes a good martial artist. You have to be willing to do simply asinine amounts of repetition. While many hobby musicians practice something until they get it right, a professional practices until they can't get it wrong. I would say that sparring is similar to my experience as a jazz musician… improvisation under pressure.

I would also (and perhaps controversially) say personally my music training enabled me to do HEMA. In jazz, the answers are all in the recordings. You just have to find it. Same thing in a dusty old fight manual. Also, knowing how to read music (translating written instructions into physical actions) helped at the very least my mindset in trying to figure out what the old masters were trying to get across in their manuals.

-Mark

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Then what, complete and utter slaughter. Yeah, no pain = human tendency towards the violent aspect our nature!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was referring to lower back pain, but, yeah, in a science fiction, "No Pain World" we would just punch eachother in the face just to say, "Hi"

Oh I hear you on that mate. Sorry I mistook what you posted. Yes I hope that lower back and spinal research yields some safe and complete surgery in the future.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is wine making an art? Would the process help a martial artiest?
How about flower arranging how would that help?

Herminia Dalton

White Belt
Reaction score
Martial art is amazing in its own way, you get the opportunity to show your power and strength to others. I am not saying that other hobbies like singing or dancing is not good, but I like martial arts the most. I am also learning new self defense lessons nowadays.

Latest Discussions