Zanshin?

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello, being both new to this forum and a member of a hybrid art I have received a request to give some details about what exactly is Zanshin Karate. Zanshin Karate itself is a Hybrid strikeing system that looks like Kick boxing but its not, its a mix of boxing and Shotokan Karate techniques.
Apart from Zanshin Karate my school offers a combatitives corse called Zanshin combatitives that can be taken seperatly and during the Zanshin Karate class. I might also add that the school where I train offers a cardio Kickboxing class that I take once in a while for some extra conditioning. Please feel free to ask questions if your curious about this...Take it away Transk.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a good mix. I'll have to check it out. Do you have any training video or a website?

I sometimes cringe at the thought of new hybrid styles. I've seen quite a few that are cringe worthy but some seem to be on the right track. One problem some hybrid arts have is a lack of specialty, they've got forms, throws, striking, grappling, and weapons. But sometimes these jack of all trades schools fail to produce competent students in any one area, or it may just take a very long time, their syllabus is to big and diverse for average attending students to gain proficiency in any area.

Does Zanshin compete in any amateur or licensed fights?

OP
Dr.Smith

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like a good mix. I'll have to check it out. Do you have any training video or a website?

I sometimes cringe at the thought of new hybrid styles. I've seen quite a few that are cringe worthy but some seem to be on the right track. One problem some hybrid arts have is a lack of specialty, they've got forms, throws, striking, grappling, and weapons. But sometimes these jack of all trades schools fail to produce competent students in any one area, or it may just take a very long time, their syllabus is to big and diverse for average attending students to gain proficiency in any area.

Does Zanshin compete in any amateur or licensed fights?
As far as a web site, we dont, although Im not sure why and Jeff (instructor) hasnt offered a good reason other than to ask me if I wanted to pay for it...There are some videos but nothing you could see without makeing a purchase. Truthfull Im in the videos as a white belt, I was the mugger in like ten clips, they said my bald head and tatts made me look the part.
Recently there has been talk that the videos and our belt system are going to change or be reformated, Im intrested to know what will happen.
About a year and a half ago we stopped wearing Gi's and started weariing club shorts and tee shirts with a belt to designate rank so yea theres been alot of changes and a lot comeing.

Well I have to be careful how I anser this because my instructor trolls the forums lols.
Officially we do not sponser any full contact fighting, that said we have two people who currently fight in amature MMA contests. There are a couple of guys that applied for the contest and were not accepted, they dont know why but suspect that age and style played a role.
On the official side we do sponser a point contact team that has about fifteen or twenty people on it, they go to several tournaments a year and never fail to bring home trophies.
Our syllabus is super easy, in fact I couldnt praise it enough for its simple yet effective contents.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as a web site, we dont, although Im not sure why and Jeff (instructor) hasnt offered a good reason other than to ask me if I wanted to pay for it...

My gym was without a website for about 6 years until I just decided to make one up myself. Since my instructor wasn't wanting to put money into it, I just threw something together with free hosting on WordPress and it came out okay: Four Seasons Martial Arts Kentucky s premier home for MMA and Jiu-Jitsu
The only expense is something like $21/year for the domain name and if your instructor is really cheap, he could just settle for something like zanshinkarate.wordpress.com, which would be completely free.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Every style of Martial Arts, every single one in history, was considered a hybrid to those in the field when it first appeared.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might also add that the school where I train offers a cardio Kickboxing class

The good ole Kickbox circuit training? Rather than full on pad work and such like, you just run around like a maniac hitting pads, but for repetition and sole technique work?

About a year and a half ago we stopped wearing Gi's

You are not the first to mention this. Well at least in my case. A mate of mine whom does Karate, the same thing has happened. Gi gone to be replaced with school branded tracksuit looking bottoms and a branded T-Shirt, although it could just be the top. Anyway, perhaps the days of the Gi are numbered. In some respects anyway.

OP
Dr.Smith

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
At first I didnt like it, then I started learning throws with under and over hooks, I love it. And I found I fight better without a gi on.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No offense, but how on earth does the school get new students without a website? These days, that's like not having a sign on your door. Even a generic site made with one of those make-your-own-website tools that come free with hosting would be way better than nothing.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No offense, but how on earth does the school get new students without a website? These days, that's like not having a sign on your door. Even a generic site made with one of those make-your-own-website tools that come free with hosting would be way better than nothing.

Reputation speaks volumes WaterGal :) And the teachings behind it. All well and good, but real substance counts :) Not a fancy website. IMHO opinion ofc :)

OP
Dr.Smith

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The school I train at is at the top of a large old building owned by my instructor he rents the bottom floor out to a business and the middle two floors out as appartments, from what I understand he already has enough money to retire. My guess is that word of mouth and flyers have been enough to bring in the business he already has. About two hundred students total.
As to the question I missed about the cardia Kickboxing class, yes they run around like crazy in there, mostly push ups sit ups and short sprints mixed with bag work. Lots of women and kids take the class although truth be told I really njoy it to.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're looking at it from the "commercial school" viewpoint. Not all schools are commercial. We're not. We don't have a web site. Or a sign.
There's some pamphlets in the lobby of the Y, though...

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You're looking at it from the "commercial school" viewpoint. Not all schools are commercial. We're not. We don't have a web site. Or a sign.
There's some pamphlets in the lobby of the Y, though...

That's true. When I hear "school" rather than "class", I tend to think that they're talking about an actual dedicated training facility - the kind of place that by necessity is generally run as a business. Not that you can't get good training from someone at the Y or in somebody's garage, but I wouldn't personally consider those places to be "schools". I suppose that's my own bias.

Regardless, I think that having a website is a great investment for anybody looking to reach more potential students. Word-of-mouth is a good way to get students, but it means that the only students you can possibly get are the friends of your current/past students. Whether you're looking to earn any money from teaching or not, that's really limiting your options and cutting yourself off from most of your potential students.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true. When I hear "school" rather than "class", I tend to think that they're talking about an actual dedicated training facility - the kind of place that by necessity is generally run as a business. Not that you can't get good training from someone at the Y or in somebody's garage, but I wouldn't personally consider those places to be "schools". I suppose that's my own bias.

It is absolutely your bias... we actually do consider ourselves a school, even if you don't. And since the definition of a school, is 'a place where students learn from teachers', I think we qualify. And even though we're not a sport-oriented school, the results when our students do enter a tournament would indicate that we're not doing too terribly.

Regardless, I think that having a website is a great investment for anybody looking to reach more potential students. Word-of-mouth is a good way to get students, but it means that the only students you can possibly get are the friends of your current/past students. Whether you're looking to earn any money from teaching or not, that's really limiting your options and cutting yourself off from most of your potential students.

Maybe. On the other hand, I think most teachers (and students) will agree that smaller classes are more conducive to learning.

OP
Dr.Smith

Dr.Smith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
was hopeing the questions would be more about what we do here at Zanshin Karate in terms of technique not our marketing strategy.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As to the question I missed about the cardia Kickboxing class, yes they run around like crazy in there, mostly push ups sit ups and short sprints mixed with bag work. Lots of women and kids take the class although truth be told I really njoy it to.

Same in the UK. Although over here the same activity tends to be named differently, depending on the training provider. Some are more like the boxercise cardio rhythm stuff, where as some are based on Kickboxing and Muay Thai. Some classes held are quite geared towards just making money, but one or two down here have instructors who will invest time in not your fitness, but with emphasis to actually teach you something as well. It really comes down to the instructor as always. Some are gym/PT, some are proper Kickboxers. They do beat trundling along on a treadmill though :)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is absolutely your bias... we actually do consider ourselves a school, even if you don't. And since the definition of a school, is 'a place where students learn from teachers', I think we qualify. And even though we're not a sport-oriented school, the results when our students do enter a tournament would indicate that we're not doing too terribly.

I meant absolutely no value judgement by my distinction between "school" and "class", and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I'm only talking about the physical setting that the instruction is provided in, not the quality of it.

Maybe. On the other hand, I think most teachers (and students) will agree that smaller classes are more conducive to learning.

To a point. But larger classes give your students more people to work with, and allow you to provide more benefit to the community etc.

Latest Discussions