Which martial art is this?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
(Apologies - you must get sick of this question!)

I have in mind my ideal martial art, and wonder if someone could say which martial art describes this best.

It is totally reactive.

It evades the punch or grab, upsets the attacker's balance or at least moves into a position in which the attacker is vulnerable, and gives 1 or 2 debilitating strikes. “Evade, stun, run” might be the motto.

It believes the key to effective fighting is footwork and balance.

Apart from the strikes, it has very soft and graceful movements.

It may involve swaying the upper torso like a boxer to avoid punches.

It encourages self-discipline and many traditional Eastern martial values, but always aims to be practical.

It does not involve grappling because the aim is to strike quickly and run away, not to enjoy fighting.

Altho in training the movements look very graceful, it is lightning fast in the combat situation.

Does that ring a bell?

It is not a bad question, although you should expect a little kidding

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yin Style Bagua absolutely nails it.
Great! Is it taught anywhere near you? If not, it's kind of irrelevant. I live in a city of a million people, a quick Google search tells me the nearest place teaching Yin Style Bagua is about 5 hours away. You have to work with what you got.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(Apologies - you must get sick of this question!)

I have in mind my ideal martial art, and wonder if someone could say which martial art describes this best.

It is totally reactive.

It evades the punch or grab, upsets the attacker's balance or at least moves into a position in which the attacker is vulnerable, and gives 1 or 2 debilitating strikes. “Evade, stun, run” might be the motto.

It believes the key to effective fighting is footwork and balance.

Apart from the strikes, it has very soft and graceful movements.

It may involve swaying the upper torso like a boxer to avoid punches.

It encourages self-discipline and many traditional Eastern martial values, but always aims to be practical.

It does not involve grappling because the aim is to strike quickly and run away, not to enjoy fighting.

Altho in training the movements look very graceful, it is lightning fast in the combat situation.

Does that ring a bell?
Out of curiosity, what sort of experience do you have with fighting and martial arts? I noticed that in your description you make some statements which seem to involve assumptions about the nature of fighting which might not actually be correct.

If you have inaccurate inputs then the solution will not be correct.

I'm not trying to be deliberately rude, it's just that, over the years, I've seen countless people say what boils down to, "I know all about fighting works, so teach me how to fight." When someone tries to point out that their assumptions might not be right, well, it goes down from there.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
K

Kindbutnotasucker

White Belt
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what sort of experience do you have with fighting and martial arts? I noticed that in your description you make some statements which seem to involve assumptions about the nature of fighting which might not actually be correct.

If you have inaccurate inputs then the solution will not be correct.

I'm not trying to be deliberately rude, it's just that, over the years, I've seen countless people say what boils down to, "I know all about fighting works, so teach me how to fight." When someone tries to point out that their assumptions might not be right, well, it goes down from there.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
None! Thanks for your input, makes sense. I am working with a Yin Style Bagua dvd and loving it. No great ambition yet. Hopefully in a few years I can attend real sessions.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
None! Thanks for your input, makes sense. I am working with a Yin Style Bagua dvd and loving it. No great ambition yet. Hopefully in a few years I can attend real sessions.
From a dvd you will learn exactly nothing useful unless it's suplimenting live instruction.

If your goal is to look vaguely like you might be doing a martial art that's a decent rout I guess. But it sounded like you wanted to learn something useable from your other posts.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It can be hard to learn from a DVD. I won't say that it's impossible but I will say that it requires a lot of extra effort and sometimes a bit of luck. For many people it becomes next to impossible to learn to fight from a DVD, particularly alone.

That said, your initial description of your "ideal" martial art has a lot of misunderstandings or misconceptions. For example, there really is no martial art which does not include some sort of grappling, even if it is just a little bitty bit and what "grapplers" would would scoff at as "not real grappling." As an example, even Boxing has a teeny tad of grappling. Go to any boxing club and they'll teach you about the Clinch, punching into and punching out of the clinch, how to use (within the context of the rules) to restrict your opponent's movement or just grab 2 seconds of rest.

Off hand, it sounds like you might be happiest with a "Boxing for Self Defense" course. It will teach you to use your hands, quick movements, good footwork, evasive body mechanics, &tc.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Latest Discussions