Wheres the shaolin in USSD's shaolin kempo

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wheres the shaolin in USSD's shaolin kempo?
I know charles mattera and the other masters goto the shaolin temple every few years but they dont teach those shaolin forms in their schools.
We learn japanese pinions and katas(not shaolin forms)And these shaolin defensive maneuvers are really villari kempo combinations.
So how can these master's claim their art is shaolin?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
try the search function!

Also there is a thread on Martial Arts Planet with the EXACT same title.

as a student of "Shaolin kempo" IMHO the answer is...

in the marketing.

-DC

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's the usual problem in the MAs, isn't it? Use a revered ancient name and gain `instant lineage'---but without a time machine, how can anyone know what the Shaolin monks were doing in their glory days x-hundred years back?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i do not know about ussd however in the shaolin kempo i study the shaolin part refers mainly to the use of varying fightings styles as taught through the concepts of the five animals. This is a prevalant chinese martial arts concept and since most feel that chinese martial arts had something to do with shaolin the descriptive term is used. I am sure in does not hurt business either to have a more exotic sounding name.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i do not know about ussd however in the shaolin kempo i study the shaolin part refers mainly to the use of varying fightings styles as taught through the concepts of the five animals. This is a prevalant chinese martial arts concept and since most feel that chinese martial arts had something to do with shaolin the descriptive term is used. I am sure in does not hurt business either to have a more exotic sounding name.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Nah. It came from the idea that it was one of the earlier names used by Professor Chow for his art. Since Ralph Castro already called his own version "Shaolin KeNpo" Villari, seeing the popularity of the David Carradine show, called his "Shaolin KeMpo". If David Carradin's character had come from the Wu Tang clan, I'm sure Villari's art would have been called "Wu Tang Kempo Karate".

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Danjo hit it! Although it probably was referring to both the Shaolin Temple and Professor Chow's early style name.

Amazing how many Martial Artists attempt to connect to Professor Chow in any way possible... No matter how thin the link-

I thought the system I was studying many years ago came from the Professor, it even said so in the student manual! Turns out the link was paper thin....

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If David Carradin's character had come from the Wu Tang clan, I'm sure Villari's art would have been called "Wu Tang Kempo Karate".

I had missed this post---D., that's hysterical!

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something similar. About 8 or so months ago, I went to check out a school that taught "Chinese Kenpo". The odd thing was they used several Okinawan forms in thier system. I even did a couple I knew durring my introductory class (Tensho, which they just wanted to see, and Nihanchi, which was part of their system). That kinda threw me for a loop.

Jeff

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Imagine if the shaolin temple sued everyone that used their name without a worldwide licence?

I'm kinda fond of the name:
"Canadian Chinese Native American Japanese Shaolin-Shorin-ji Kempo-Karate Jujutsu-Boxing Alliance Federation of the Universe"

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Imagine if the shaolin temple sued everyone that used their name without a worldwide licence?

"Canadian Chinese Native American Japanese Shaolin-Shorin-ji Kempo-Karate Jujutsu-Boxing Alliance Federation of the Universe"
ROLF!!!!!

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Uh-uh---you need to get `Brazilian' in there somewhere! :wink!:

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting

Nah. It came from the idea that it was one of the earlier names used by Professor Chow for his art. Since Ralph Castro already called his own version "Shaolin KeNpo" Villari, seeing the popularity of the David Carradine show, called his "Shaolin KeMpo". If David Carradin's character had come from the Wu Tang clan, I'm sure Villari's art would have been called "Wu Tang Kempo Karate".

I am sure as a marketing tool the use of the name shaolin helped attract people to the dojo and to the martial arts in general. This would be good for everyone. Aside from an opportunity to bash Villari, i thought the question about the animal techniques could have some discussion about what using animal / shaolin concepts of fighting might bring to a martial artist or a situation. While it is true that having learned a few kung fu animal forms i note that what sk does is different yet there may be a legitimate concept to be explored, rather than settling for the banal and very much over done.

Respectfully,
Marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting

I am sure as a marketing tool the use of the name shaolin helped attract people to the dojo and to the martial arts in general. This would be good for everyone. Aside from an opportunity to bash Villari, i thought the question about the animal techniques could have some discussion about what using animal / shaolin concepts of fighting might bring to a martial artist or a situation. While it is true that having learned a few kung fu animal forms i note that what sk does is different yet there may be a legitimate concept to be explored, rather than settling for the banal and very much over done.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Marlon,
Out of all the posts i have read of yours. this is definetly the best.
In Peace
Jesse

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I would say that it is based on the principles taught. The material may not be "shaolin" stuff, but, the influence is there, laterin the belt ranks. Karate is used in the beginning to build a solid foundation, the "shaolin" stuff comes later in the Brown to BB levels. If you study the stuff or really look at it, 180 degree difference from what was learned up to that point for the student.

Latest Discussions