Wheres the shaolin in USSD's shaolin kempo

OP
S

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say that it is based on the principles taught. The material may not be "shaolin" stuff, but, the influence is there, laterin the belt ranks. Karate is used in the beginning to build a solid foundation, the "shaolin" stuff comes later in the Brown to BB levels. If you study the stuff or really look at it, 180 degree difference from what was learned up to that point for the student.

What exactly after brown or black is SHAOLIN? None of the forums are shaolin.Sho Tun Kwok, Nengli South, Nengli North, Swift Tigers, Invincible Wall and Five Dragons Face the Four Winds,Branches of the Falling Pine, Lost Leopard, Tai Sing Mon, 1000 Buddhas and Snake. Villari made those up.
So how can you call it shaolin? I dont like being lied to and my certific of rank is a bunch of ****

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually it's a 2 secret rarely mentioned Shaolin forms call Iga-Chew-Loot and Afoo-Anhis-Monee-Parted...

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can think of plenty of arts that have done the same. Shorinryu and Shorinji Kempo have nothing to do with shaolinquan. Plus, lots of Chinese systems that are called shaolin branches probably weren't, either.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
What exactly after brown or black is SHAOLIN? None of the forums are shaolin.Sho Tun Kwok, Nengli South, Nengli North, Swift Tigers, Invincible Wall and Five Dragons Face the Four Winds,Branches of the Falling Pine, Lost Leopard, Tai Sing Mon, 1000 Buddhas and Snake. Villari made those up.
So how can you call it shaolin? I dont like being lied to and my certific of rank is a bunch of ****

I said that the forms themselves were not Shaolin forms in my post. However, if you watch and know Kung Fu and Karate movements, you'll see differences between them. Karate is focussed on in the beginning to green or so. Slowly, the "kung fu principles" are given to you, more so after Black Belt. I'm sorry you feel that way, I'm not a representative for them. However, my view is if you put in the work, from any style, there's no waste of time. It's about experience, not rank, or certificates.

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
USSD calls there style Shaolin Kempo because Charlie Mattera was a student of Fred Villari before breaking off. Fred Villari's style is called Shaolin Kempo Karate. Hope that helps.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can think of plenty of arts that have done the same. Shorinryu and Shorinji Kempo have nothing to do with shaolinquan. Plus, lots of Chinese systems that are called shaolin branches probably weren't, either.

I would say Shorin ryu has more in common with anything chinese than shaolin kempo.
Note that i said chinese though.....and not shaolin specifically.

visiting the shaolin temple and watching people do kung fu and collecting an honourary master certificate doesnt mean squat.
but some jokers come back waving it around all the while teaching some lame 5 animal BS or drunken panda wrestling.

OP
S

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say Shorin ryu has more in common with anything chinese than shaolin kempo.
Note that i said chinese though.....and not shaolin specifically.

visiting the shaolin temple and watching people do kung fu and collecting an honourary master certificate doesnt mean squat.
but some jokers come back waving it around all the while teaching some lame 5 animal BS or drunken panda wrestling.

I hear ya. I dont know why the shaolin temple gave them rank when they dont even teach shaolin? It must be the all mighty $$$$$$$ that got them rank.

I asked my manager with ussd one day what style of shaolin(northern or southern) we taught because someone had walked in and asked me and I didn't know,my manager told me traditional.

A few months later I looked up on the internet where ussd came from because my manager with ussd took away my bonus check and wouldn't pay my doctor bill from an injury I sustain from a workout with him. No workmans comp,nothing. He just made up some excuse that the company needs to grow and we had to keep the company going. Real nice.

I remembered that one of my coworkers said we came from villaris. So I looked up on the net and found out we were teaching kempo not shaolin.
I was so disgusted with ussd at that point because I had been lied to about what we had been teaching and are REAL linage and how I'd been scamed IMHO to make a bunch of fat guys fatter.

I am done with my rant now.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Asking where the shaolin in the Shaolin Kempo is like asking where the lemons are in Country Time lemonade, but when you flip over the packet and read the ingredients you realise that it's just a bunch of stuff made to resemble something it isn't.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Asking where the shaolin in the Shaolin Kempo is like asking where the lemons are in Country Time lemonade, but when you flip over the packet and read the ingredients you realise that it's just a bunch of stuff made to resemble something it isn't.

Abraham Lincoln used to ask people this question, "If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?" When they would answer "Five" he would give them a scathing look and reply, "Four! Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg!"

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Abraham Lincoln used to ask people this question, "If you call a tail a leg, how many legs does a dog have?" When they would answer "Five" he would give them a scathing look and reply, "Four! Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg!"

There sure seems to be a whole lot of tails being called legs in the martial arts.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still tastes good though!
icon7.gif

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lemonade is lemonade. Blocking, punching and kicking is the same for all styles ultimately. a Shaolin front kick to the groin is no different , or more real, than anyone elses. You don't have to be a monk to teach the martial arts. It's just a name.

Let me say again, I'm not a student od ussd, never have been. I know they are a McDojo. However, we should all realize that McDojo refers to the business end of things. The material taught there is the same material taught in all the striking arts. I'm just trying to focus everyone's attention to the idea that we are all legitimate. Blood, sweat and tears, has no patent to one style or system.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
"The material taught there is the same material taught in all the striking arts. I'm just trying to focus everyone's attention to the idea that we are all legitimate. Blood, sweat and tears, has no patent to one style or system."

Hand Sword- Same material? You have got to be kidding me...There are ENTIRE systems that come from the same person that are almost indistinguishable. Let alone having "all striking arts" use the same material.

Blocking, kicking, and punching is all the same you say? That is just silly.

We are all legitimate? Read the Horror Stories and check back with us.

Your post is one of the least accurate I have seen in awhile-

Latest Discussions