What's With the Incosistent Terminology?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Budster, Mar 23, 2020 at 3:45 PM.

1. Budster

Budster White Belt

Both titled "Ikkyo Undo". Both very different. Am I missing something? I've seen inconsistent terminology elsewhere too. But I would think that Ikkyo Undo is such a basic thing that it should mean the same thing no matter where you are in the world.

2. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    No, Budster, it's not that you're missing anything. Martial Arts have a lot of varying terminologies. Heck, Martial Arts have a lot of varying everything.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. hoshin1600

hoshin1600 Senior Master

in my opinion, ikkyo is the technique. undo tends to be used in place of the word exercise and both of those vids are termed ikkyo undo because they relate to the technique of ikkyo. confusing yes but not incorrect or contradicting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. dvcochran

dvcochran Senior Master

• Supporting Member
    Agree, it is crazy how much variance there is in Korean terminology. Almost as bad as the English language.

5. JP3

JP3 Master Black Belt

• Supporting Member
    It's not just martial arts... i.e. 2-may-toe vs. tah-mah-toe.

6. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    Some of this comes from non-native Japanese speakers (and at least as often, folks who don't actually speak Japanese at all) using the terms as they understand them, which may or may not be true to the way native speakers would use them. This creates drift as terms evolve along diverging paths.

In this case, I believe @hoshin1600 is correct, and the term is used properly (as I understand it, which is probably less than the instructors in both videos) in both cases. It's like if I said, "We're going to do a single-leg takedown drill today." That could be any one of several different approaches to the single-leg, or even one of many movement drills for getting the entry to the technique. It could be from kneeling or standing, upright (more like a common MMA approach) or leaning forward (more like a common collegiate wrestling approach).123