What's the best bit of advice you've ever received?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right before I got married, the Pastor (a good friend of our family) told me, "Always remember...you can be right or you can be happy".

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats a good annual return. If you can keep that as an average return your going to be doing very well money wise! Got a particular investment tyep that has performed the best for you?
There are some rough years in there. The most memorable being 2008. Biggest (liquid) investment losses ever; something like 36%. But also the biggest real estate purchases we have ever made.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Right before I got married, the Pastor (a good friend of our family) told me, "Always remember...you can be right or you can be happy".
Sometimes it's about valuing the relationship first. Good advice.

OP
Steve

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've mentioned before that my roots are in Texas. Still have a lot of family and friends down there. So, here's some good advice from a friend of mine who is a life long Texan. He said, "You can teach a pig to climb a tree, but sometimes, it's better if you just hire a squirrel."

Harry Flannagan

White Belt
Reaction score
When I was in elementary my uncle once told me "Don't spit in the air, cause the the spatters come back on your face." Gross in literal but makes sense, it means: don't do stupid things, because you'll pay for them.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A person's ethics and morals, go out the window when it comes to their paychecks.

Experience has shown me, that this is true.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- If you want to steal, steal the country.
- In your books, you can find both beautiful women and gold.
- If you want to learn how to fight, drill 1 step 3 punches 1,000 times daily for the next 3 years.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A person's ethics and morals, go out the window when it comes to their paychecks.

Experience has shown me, that this is true.
While that is mostly a true statement it is not 100% true. I have seen the opposite many times in my life. It sure does Anton for a persons faith in humanity.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
While that is mostly a true statement it is not 100% true. I have seen the opposite many times in my life. It sure does Anton for a persons faith in humanity.
I have seen it as well, but the percentage is too low and doesn't mean much when one does. Eventually they still falter.

Latest Discussions