What was Wing Chun designed for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the real answer here is that you are of course free to decide where your limitations lie in your wing chun, but you need to stop trying to tell everyone else that your limitations are also theirs.

Well no. I just keep stating a fact and people seem to want to deny that fact. I don't understand it myself. It should be pretty clear to anyone studying Wing Chun and that is being honest with themselves.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well no. I just keep stating a fact and people seem to want to deny that fact. I don't understand it myself. It should be pretty clear to anyone studying Wing Chun and that is being honest with themselves.
And yet what you keep insisting is a fact, so many people don't seem to agree with.

Why do you suppose that is?

Reactions: LFJ

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry. That makes no sense.
Well to me to an extent it does, in the generic fighting sense. If the point of martial arts is to defend yourself and you're at long range and you have the opportunity to run, isnt running the better option than risking a fight you may lose?

Also if you are at long range, or further, and that gives you the time to pick up a force multiplier, aka weapon, the opponent doesn't have, does that not make more sense then just starting to throw punches?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
And yet what you keep insisting is a fact, so many people don't seem to agree with.

Why do you suppose that is?

Good question! But no one has yet attempted to explain how Wing Chun is NOT a close-range art, nor has anyone tried to show a Wing Chun "long range game" that is equivalent to that found in boxing. No one has tried to describe how Wing Chun is NOT optimized to function at close range much more than long range. Why do you suppose that is??? :confused:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But Wing Chun is a close-range system, so the title makes perfect sense! Until you purposefully try to make things sound ridiculous.

It only sounds rediculous when what you are saying is put into plain and simple English.

----This is not a religion. It isn't open to personal interpretation.

It is not religion, that much is true. This stuff absolutely is open to personal interpretation.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well to me to an extent it does, in the generic fighting sense. If the point of martial arts is to defend yourself and you're at long range and you have the opportunity to run, isnt running the better option than risking a fight you may lose?

Also if you are at long range, or further, and that gives you the time to pick up a force multiplier, aka weapon, the opponent doesn't have, does that not make more sense then just starting to throw punches?

And where have I said or suggested that someone shouldn't do that??

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
It only sounds rediculous when what you are saying is put into plain and simple English.

----Except that what you wrote was not what I was saying. :rolleyes:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good question! But no one has yet attempted to explain how Wing Chun is NOT a close-range art, nor has anyone tried to show a Wing Chun "long range game" that is equivalent to that found in boxing. No one has tried to describe how Wing Chun is NOT optimized to function at close range much more than long range. Why do you suppose that is??? :confused:
I'm sorry that you are unable to see the possibilities. I don't know why that is. Seriously, do what is right for you. But if you have such difficulty accepting that other people disagree with you, you will have a very difficult time getting through life. So, good luck.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
...seems to me that this is what's been happening for 11 pages now! :D

Uh no. I have been stating simple facts that people have been doing their best to deny. However, no one has yet explained HOW or WHY they think the fact I have been stating is untrue. Not once has anyone attempted to explain how Wing Chun is NOT a close-range art, nor has anyone tried to show a Wing Chun "long range game" that is equivalent to that found in boxing. No one has tried to describe how Wing Chun is NOT optimized to function at close range much more so than at long range. So actually, no one has offered their own interpretation, other than to say that they think I am wrong. Why do you think that is?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry that you are unable to see the possibilities. I don't know why that is. Seriously, do what is right for you. But if you have such difficulty accepting that other people disagree with you, you will have a very difficult time getting through life. So, good luck.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with me! As I already pointed out, if someone wanted to disagree with me and say that they think that Wing Chun is perfectly adequate in using its long range strategy to survive at long range long enough to close to close range and they don't feel the need to improve their long range skills by actually training a system with a "long range game", then I couldn't argue with that! That would be a very valid disagreement! But to state that you don't think Wing Chun is a close-range system....well, I'm not the one "unable to see"! ;)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uh no. I have been stating simple facts that people have been doing their best to deny. However, no one has yet explained HOW or WHY they think the fact I have been stating is untrue. Not once has anyone attempted to explain how Wing Chun is NOT a close-range art, nor has anyone tried to show a Wing Chun "long range game" that is equivalent to that found in boxing. No one has tried to describe how Wing Chun is NOT optimized to function at close range much more so than at long range. So actually, no one has offered their own interpretation, other than to say that they think I am wrong. Why do you think that is?
Because honestly I would say that nobody gives a **** about this the way that you do. You aren't changing anyone's minds, and and neither will you change yours, so it doesn't really matter, in the end. If you can't see the possibilities, I honestly don't know how to help you see it. Either you get it, or you don't.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have no problem with people disagreeing with me! As I already pointed out, if someone wanted to disagree with me and say that they think that Wing Chun is perfectly adequate in using its long range strategy to survive at long range long enough to close to close range and they don't feel the need to improve their long range skills by actually training a system with a "long range game", then I couldn't argue with that! That would be a very valid disagreement! But to state that you don't think Wing Chun is a close-range system....well, I'm not the one "unable to see"! ;)
I don't think wing chun is a close range system. There.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because honestly I would say that nobody gives a **** about this the way that you do. You aren't changing anyone's minds, and and neither will you change yours, so it doesn't really matter, in the end. If you can't see the possibilities, I honestly don't know how to help you see it. Either you get it, or you don't.

Dude, you've been going on and on about it as much as I have! ;) If you don't understand how Wing Chun works...how it was designed...I honestly don't know how to help you either.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dude, you've been going on and on about it as much as I have! ;) If you don't understand how Wing Chun works...how it was designed...I honestly don't know how to help you either.
Ok well, I actually don't have any need to "win" an argument on the internet. I've made my contribution to the discussion, nobody has changed their minds, and now I've got more important things to do. Have fun.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think wing chun is a close range system. There.

Yeah, well I do think Wing Chun functions best as a close-range system, so there X 10! :D

BTW is it hilarious or what? how worked-up people get over these discussions? ....or maybe I'm just getting too comfortable with nobody taking me seriously. 20 years teaching high school and nearly 30 years of marriage can do that to you! :confused:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Why throw punches at all?

Run or use a weapon. don't bother with wing chun at any range.

Reactions: KPM

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why throw punches at all?

Run or use a weapon. don't bother with wing chun at any range.

That wasn't the point. The point was how do you make WC better at long range. If you accept that as a weakness (which I don't) there are arguably better ways than boxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions