What US movie would trigger this event?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, first off, the Lybian government and its security forces had NOTHING to do with this attack. In fact, 10 Lybian security forces were killed or wounded defending that safe house. I can understand the anger here, but place it were it belongs.

Something to keep in mind here is the societal differences. Until recently, most of the countries where these protest are taking place were under totaltarian governments that controlled information and media access for everyone, comepletely. If something came out the government didn't approve of, it was immediately quashed with the "offender" often getting a not so pleasant trip to jail. The people in these countries do not understand free speech, much less that there is a negative side to it. They cannot understand that while the US government and most of the citizenry find something dispicable, we are pretty powerless to stop it. They believe that if it has been released it therefore must be approved and even condoned by the US government. That does not justify violence, but it might explain why so many are protesting (though relatively few compared to overall populations). Then add the extremist egging everything on. For us, we don't understand how anyone could protest us as a country, when our government had nothing to do with the film and actually condemn it. Most of the protest have not been violent, and that is a good thing. That's part of a democracy, remember? You get to voice your displeasure, even if it is misplaced. However, those steping it up to violence need to be held responsible for that and in my opinion, harshly.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the new killing bin laden movie should be stopped as well...

This movie not only had obama administration approval, they recieved actual help from the White House in getting the information on the actual mission...soooo...if they reacted badly to this little video, thinking the U.S. government had a hand in it, what will they do with a movie actually sanctioned by the obama administration?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2012/09/15/Obama-Admin-Must-Stop-Killing-Bin-Laden-Film

Now that the White House and State Department have made clear that they believe movies can create the terrorists who create the terrorism, it's time for them to get ahead of this problem. And one thing the White House can do immediately is to pressure Sony to stop the release of director Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty," which celebrates the killing of Osama bin Laden.

I'm only saying this because, you know, the White House and the media told me movies inflame and cause terrorism.
Think about it: If the poorly produced and laughably bad trailer for "The Innocence of Muslims" results in chaos, murder, and the burning of foreign outposts all throughout the Middle East, how much rioting and mayhem is a big-budgeted, slickly produced, Oscar-bait blockbuster celebrating the death of the leader of al-Qaeda going to cause?
Moreover, an excuse Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will not be able to use in the case of "Zero Dark Thirty" (as she did with "Innocence of Muslims") is the cowardly and self-righteous claim that the federal government and the Obama White House had nothing to do with "Zero Dark Thirty."
Because the federal government and the Obama White House had everything to do with "Zero Dark Thirty."
As we now know, in an effort to get this glitzy in-kind contribution (tens of millions of dollars) up on the screen in time to affect the election, it was the Obama Administration that gave the filmmakers tons of encouragement and a troubling amount of access to all kinds of classified material.

This wookie will pull your arms off...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, because the leader of the FREE WORLD, embracing and encouraging oppression is a great idea...

I don't see how you get that. He says that mocking people's religious beliefs is bad but that killing people over it is unacceptable. He's hoping the leaders of these countries can stop rioters from storming our embassies. Who is being oppressed here?

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whether they take it down or not, Obama cab say to the Muslims "I tried" which helps their leaders quell the riots.

Hmmm...will obama ask Kathryn Bigelow to not release "Zero Dark Thirty," the movie that the White House helped create about the killing of bin laden? What will he say to the leaders of these muslim countries, since many, if not most of the protestors were yelling pro bin laden chants? I mean, if a 14 minute trailer, released in July, about a movie that hasn't been released yet has caused all this trouble, what will obama say to these leaders since he gave approval for cooperation between his administration and the makers of this movie. He actually has a hand in this movie as opposed to no participation at all with the youtube trailer.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I gotta say bill, you impress me how you can turn even something like this into an anti-Obama rant. How good are you? If you don't mind, could you turn the statement, "The sky is blue," into an anti-Obama rant? I just want to see how far you can really take it.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've tried that route, WC - there is no reasoning or deflecting with BillC on matters of politics. It is pointless to expend the effort and it best to just post corrections when opinions become too far off the path that they might serve to actively mislead.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And here we go....fer God's sake people USE THE IGNORE POSTER FEATURE if you cant refrain from commenting on the poster vs the content.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I concur.

All I am advising is that people do not waste their intellectual capital trying to change something that cannot be changed.

[yt]ZKbZMIP4XUE[/yt]

Read or do not read, respond or do not respond - the end result is the same. Better to just leave things be.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good points from a lot of posters. I certainly hope the governments in these nations assist us in capturing those responsible. If there is opposition I would not be opposed to a declaration of war, and I do not say that lightly. If it was the maniacle action of some fringe groups, then they alone should be held acountable. If their governments have a hand in it, then they must be held accountable too.

As far as this video goes, the film maker has every right to make it and should be protected by U.S. law. I do think he knew this would provoke violence and riots, but I doubt he expected it to go this far. He is partially to blame, but like I said above, I think he has a right to say it.

Tgace, while I agree completely that his right to freedom of speech should be protected, I do think that if this person were to say these kinds of comments in front of a crowd of extremists, I would step aside. We should staunchly defend our liberties, but we should also have some common sense about it.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, yes, because that's sooooo much more effective than simply letting those posts stand......:rolleyes:

And making petty comments about Billi instead of refuting his post accomplishes what again??

And why not just "let them stand"? That's just a silly "last word" strategy. Most of the responses amount to shots at the poster and meaningless emoticons anyway. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
And making petty comments about Billi instead of refuting his post accomplishes what again??

Refuting those posts accomplishes nothing-the person who originates them has proven to be factually challeneged, and not only accepts no refutation, but proves to be a continuous fountain of glurge that supports his viewpoint, the internet equivalent of standing on a soapbox, fingers in ears, chanting "La, la, la, la-I can't hear you! over, and over, and over again.

So much better to ridicule, sometimes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I gotta say bill, you impress me how you can turn even something like this into an anti-Obama rant. How good are you? If you don't mind, could you turn the statement, "The sky is blue," into an anti-Obama rant? I just want to see how far you can really take it.

I find it hard not to believe Bill is not paid full time to post here and other sites to promote the GOP anti Obma propaganda its never discussion but just a volume of repeating talking heads lying to support anti minority and corporate dogma

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmmm...the White House goes with the idea that this 14 minute trailer caused the problem. They then go to google and "ask" them to look at wether the trailer meets the terms of agreement with google. They blame the four deaths and all these attacks on the trailer, and yet, they have a hand in a movie made specifically about the killing of bin laden. Yet, that won't be another problem, going by their criteria, in these same countries when this movie comes out.

The title of this thread is...What US movie would trigger this event? I think that according to the rational from the Admin. on the trailer, the killing bin laden film meets the criteria...don't you.

They believe that if it has been released it therefore must be approved and even condoned by the US government. That does not justify violence, but it might explain why so many are protesting (though relatively few compared to overall populations).

In the case of the killing bin laden movie, they would be right about it being approved and condoned by the U.S. government. The initial release date of the movie was timed to come out just before the election, which they only changed when people complained about it.

And these cries from the protestors...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/tho...bama-in-tunisia-obama-obama-we-are-all-osama/

The Middle East Media Research Institute is publicizing video of thousands of Tunisian Salafis (hardline Islamists) rallying beneath the flag of al-Qaeda and shouting in unison, “Obama! Obama! We are all Osama!”“Let us all cry ‘Allah Akbar’ together!” a speaker cries to the roaring crowd, “so that Obama the ape can hear us! All together now!”

Yeah, the killing bin laden movie won't be another false reason for the radicals to create another outrage in the Islamic countries...

Master Dan, they don't have to pay me...I do this for free...

If people blame this trailer maker for the violence and riots...

As far as this video goes, the film maker has every right to make it and should be protected by U.S. law. I do think he knew this would provoke violence and riots, but I doubt he expected it to go this far. He is partially to blame, but like I said above, I think he has a right to say it.

Will the people here also say the same thing about Kathryn Bigelow and President obama when that film comes out...?

Last edited:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
1st off, Osama bin Laden was not the Prophet-as I posted upthread, for many Muslims it's insulting and subject to fatwa to portray Muhammad in a portrait-even a respectful one, never mind a cartoon, or in a movie which clearly was meant to defame and insult him. This is reason enough for many-especially the ignorant-to riot. Just how many of those rioters, in countries where electricity-never mind interenet access-is limited-do you actually think got to see the trailer or the movie rfor themselves, rather than being told about it and incited by imams who did? In the case of Libya, we have the one "Arab spring" country where a successful armed revolution has taken place, so far-supported by us, and by terrorist elements-it's very likely that some of those revolutionaries still would have a few RPGs laying around in the living room and kitchen. More to the point, those terrorist elements are looking for any excuse to sever the relationship between their country's (Libya, Egypt) fledgling governments and the U.S., and the people who made this "film" deliberately gave it to them. The movie was meant to incite-not educate (You, Billy, would not have given it any kind of good review!) and meant to incite one portion of the population, and one only. Why? Why, to forment just the sort of activity we're seeing now-in order to light the Middle East aflame, bring about Armageddon, and usher in the Kingdom of Christ.....(insert rolling on the floor cross-eyed with a straitjacket Smiley here :lfao: )

As for a movie about the killing of bin Laden, it's far more likely that those who support and believe in his cause will see it as a glorification of his "martyrdom," and will watch it avidly.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://m.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/sep/16/anti-us-protesters-london?cat=uk&type=article

Nazreen Nawaz, a spokeswoman for the group, explained why the group had chosen to gather outside the US embassy even when the film had no connection to the US government and had been condemned by it.

She said: "This was a movie that was produced, promoted and allowed to be promoted within the US. It comes within a context and an environment. You constantly have attacks against Islamic beliefs by politicians, whether it's in the US or elsewhere in the west."

She had few details about what the group would like the US government to do about the film and its makers, beyond "have it taken off air, of course".

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And, politically,all of the people, in all of these countries, come from regimes where such a film could not be produced without government support or consent-it's impossible for them to believe otherwise, in our case-the concept fo "freedom of speech," simply does not, and has never, existed for them.

I don't know...some of these protesters, like the ones in London, seem to be educated enough to grasp that the USA has Constitutional protections for individual speech. I don't believe that everybody in all of these crowds is ignorant of our 1st Amendment.

Latest Discussions