What to train for reality?

Discussion in 'Security and Bouncers' started by Kababayan, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Thisposthuman

Thisposthuman Yellow Belt

I work in private security and can echo whats been put forth by the LE that has responded. Bad guys generally open with heavy hand haymaker. being a kravist, i burst inward with 360 defense and simultaneous palm heel strike.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MasterArtMason

MasterArtMason Yellow Belt

This is an excellent post, but a lot has to do with mental preparation.I am 33 years, and sadly have been in some bad situations. The only issue with looking to police and bouncers for advice is they live in a very different world. When one of these professionals gets into a situation the attacker knows he has a challenge. For the average person, assuming it is an attack and not a bar fight, the attacker is not expecting a problem. That is why he chose you. You have the element of surprise, and as long as you do respond, your skills should come out.

3. MasterArtMason

MasterArtMason Yellow Belt

This seems to be a really decent YouTube channel on the subject.

Active Self Protection

Some interesting stuff here.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BobMc526

BobMc526 White Belt

I wouldn't attempt an arm lock when a punch in the now will work. I am not a cop, bouncer or military and I would not insult the individuals in those professions by supposing to have the experience that they do. That being said the original question was regarding actual self defense scenarios, which I do have a little experience with as a civilian. My experience is that the best self defense is awareness. Removing yourself from a that requires physical defense is best. If that is not an option be aware of your attacker. Is he drunk/high, does look fit, does he move with the grace and confidence of someone who's physically capable, does he have a weapon in hand, are his hands concealed, etc. My suggestion is to go simple, fast and hard. The simpler the technique you can get by with, the better. My rule, is that if I am forced to engage someone physically, I'm not stopping or slowing down until they are no longer a threat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    BobMc - welcome to MartialTalk, bro.