Self Defense vs Potentially Rabid Dog

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So a few weeks back, I was talking to some of my brothers in security about an encounter I had with a stray pittbull on one of the most dangerous streets in the downtown area where I live. I was doing security at a Mexican nightclub at 1:00am so people were drinking inside, having a good time. I was patrolling the perimeter and also making sure nobody had any weapons. There was a grill outside the club where families were sitting at picnic benches. At one side of the building was a dark parking lot with no cameras overlooking a ghetto project neighborhood over the other side of a broken chainlink fence. I was doing my normal routine, walking the perimeter (staying away from building corners as I took wide turns around them). I had a badge, a flashlight, some spray, a knife and a phone. Mind you my job is usually 90% boredom and 10% chaos. On this particular night, however, I was caught offguard by a stray pittbull in the parking lot who appeared to have blood all over its neck and body. I immediately became nervous, and asked the patrons to take their families inside. As the potentially wounded animal approached the entrance to the club, I flicked on my strobe light and started approaching him. The dog had milky white eyes with foam on its snout and chin, with bloody canines peaking behind a devious snarl. I was actually scared for a moment, no lie. But soon I relaxed and started approaching the potentially rabid pitt, yelling at him to "Shrew! Scram! Get outta here!" and soon it took off back into the shadows. I stuck around for a while, then started doing patrols again. I shined my flashlight into the dark corners and shrub areas around the parking lot and behind the club, but I didn't see anything suspicious. Ever since that night, however, I've been wondering about it. What if you are confronted with a stray, potentially rabid animal on the job? What are some ways you could defend yourself, and the people around? What are your thoughts? How could I have handled the situation even better? Just curious to see what others say.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So a few weeks back, I was talking to some of my brothers in security about an encounter I had with a stray pittbull on one of the most dangerous streets in the downtown area where I live. I was doing security at a Mexican nightclub at 1:00am so people were drinking inside, having a good time. I was patrolling the perimeter and also making sure nobody had any weapons. There was a grill outside the club where families were sitting at picnic benches. At one side of the building was a dark parking lot with no cameras overlooking a ghetto project neighborhood over the other side of a broken chainlink fence. I was doing my normal routine, walking the perimeter (staying away from building corners as I took wide turns around them). I had a badge, a flashlight, some spray, a knife and a phone. Mind you my job is usually 90% boredom and 10% chaos. On this particular night, however, I was caught offguard by a stray pittbull in the parking lot who appeared to have blood all over its neck and body. I immediately became nervous, and asked the patrons to take their families inside. As the potentially wounded animal approached the entrance to the club, I flicked on my strobe light and started approaching him. The dog had milky white eyes with foam on its snout and chin, with bloody canines peaking behind a devious snarl. I was actually scared for a moment, no lie. But soon I relaxed and started approaching the potentially rabid pitt, yelling at him to "Shrew! Scram! Get outta here!" and soon it took off back into the shadows. I stuck around for a while, then started doing patrols again. I shined my flashlight into the dark corners and shrub areas around the parking lot and behind the club, but I didn't see anything suspicious. Ever since that night, however, I've been wondering about it. What if you are confronted with a stray, potentially rabid animal on the job? What are some ways you could defend yourself, and the people around? What are your thoughts? How could I have handled the situation even better? Just curious to see what others say.
Sounds like a "country boy" scenario with stray foxes and raccoons. The best thing you can do is put something between you and the animal (like distance or a closed door). I wouldn't approach the animal. If it's not approaching you then be thankful. Call the police so they can come out and shoot it.

What should I do if I see an animal that appears to be rabid?

Stay away from any animal that's acting strangely, and let your neighbors know about its presence in the area. We do not recommend approaching it with a baseball bat or other club because that would require close contact. Sometimes your local police can come out and shoot it; however, even a sick animal will often wander off by the time outside help can get there. If it does have rabies and has wandered off, it will probably die within seven days, but it might have bitten other animals in the area, so it's a good idea to stay on guard.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know but would happen if 20 Bruce lee trained ninjas dropped from the heavens with ak-47s ninja stars and lightsabers

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most girls that go clubbing on weekends know basic defence against rabid dogs.. start with a friendly putdown.. wait.. you were being all literal.. oopsie :p

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don't get me started on "Old Yeller". Saw that movie when I was six. They shot the dog? I mean, really, they shot the fricken' dog? And Walt Disney made that movie for kids? (like me at the time) And he already had Bambi's mama shot. The sick F.

F Walt Disney, and the billions he rode in on..

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well I do know to fight a herd of lemmings all I need is a cliff. Fighting an octopus I need a submarine and electricity.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't get me started on "Old Yeller". Saw that movie when I was six. They shot the dog? I mean, really, they shot the fricken' dog? And Walt Disney made that movie for kids? (like me at the time) And he already had Bambi's mama shot. The sick F.

F Walt Disney, and the billions he rode in on..

Even worse....where the red fern grows.

Were they trying to make kids suicidal.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
And just a FYI.

Most dogs turn tail and run when sprayed with a fire extinguisher. Actually I have never seen one not tuck his tail and run hide after being sprayed.

We use them when hitting houses.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And just a FYI.

Most dogs turn tail and run when sprayed with a fire extinguisher. Actually I have never seen one not tuck his tail and run hide after being sprayed.

We use them when hitting houses.
That is a good tip.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A moment of seriousness here. If an animal is actually rabid, it is a very dangerous situation. The brain is destroyed and the animal will act aggressively, even if it was docile and friendly before infection. That animal is a goner, it will not recognize an owner, it will be aggressive. That is how the virus spreads, thru saliva with bite wounds.

If there is any chance at all that you have been exposed, you MUST seek medical attention. You MUST get the vaccination before the disease works its way to your brain which can take days to months to happen. Once the brain is infected, it it too late for the vaccination to save you. Rabies is absolutely lethal, and it is a slow and miserable death. Take it seriously. There is not test to indicate infection before symptoms show.

The virus moves into the brain via the nervous system, not the blood. This is why it can take months for infection to show symptoms. So if you go a few days or weeks without symptoms, you cannot assume you escaped infection.

There have been a very small number of rabies survivors, but only with intense, and very lengthy hospital care, and with severe and permanent brain damage. Death might be better.

I would not recommend the fire extinguisher method on an animal that might be rabid. They are not rational, and you must stay away from them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have rabies in the UK due to the stringent efforts to keep it out. Dog attacks are still no laughing matter, we've had a few deaths from them, not just children either.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
. What if you are confronted with a stray, potentially rabid animal on the job? What are some ways you could defend yourself, and the people around? What are your thoughts? How could I have handled the situation even better? Just curious to see what others say.

Shoot it. Just like ol' Yeller

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We don't have rabies in the UK due to the stringent efforts to keep it out. Dog attacks are still no laughing matter, we've had a few deaths from them, not just children either.
It is entirely possible that you have eradicated rabies among your four-legged critters, but could still have it in your bat population. Those can run into the countless millions, and are impossible to even take accurate census, much less control for something like rabies. I think it is possible for rabies among bats to remain isolated in those populations.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is entirely possible that you have eradicated rabies among your four-legged critters, but could still have it in your bat population. Those can run into the countless millions, and are impossible to even take accurate census, much less control for something like rabies. I think it is possible for rabies among bats to remain isolated in those populations.

We don't have a huge bat population sadly ( I say sadly because I like bats), we are having to take measure to conserve them.Monitoring Bats - Bat Conservation Trust The authorities are already on the case where rabies is concerned though. Bats and rabies - Bat Conservation Trust

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay I've had a look through a lot of your posts and in my opinion you're full of it. First the taco store robbery thing now this....plus all this on your mmk (mickey mouse Kung fu) but can't actually show your style apart from a few pictures of you posing in a Bruce lee stance and watching your friends spar in the back yard. It seems like you're just a guy who couldn't handle proper martial art training so quit every style and now you invent your own style and pretend to know enough to teach (but only your family of course...can't risk a real martial artist turning up ai)

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Okay I've had a look through a lot of your posts and in my opinion you're full of it. First the taco store robbery thing now this....plus all this on your mmk (mickey mouse Kung fu) but can't actually show your style apart from a few pictures of you posing in a Bruce lee stance and watching your friends spar in the back yard. It seems like you're just a guy who couldn't handle proper martial art training so quit every style and now you invent your own style and pretend to know enough to teach (but only your family of course...can't risk a real martial artist turning up ai)

I'm sorry you felt the need to examine all my posts. That seems like a lot of wasted time and energy. If you're looking for perfection, you're not going to find it. If you're looking for a hidden agenda, you won't find it. If you're trying to learn my style, you won't be able to.

As I already mentioned before on another thread in regards to all the skeptics and those who blatantly troll my posts (i.e. Headhunter, DaleDugas, Oaktree, etc.) I actually am not very hard to find. My instructors are not hard to find. My students are not hard to find. I myself am not very hard to find. I even offered to meet some local members of MTalk in person in a non-bashful, peaceful and respectful way in an attempt to form a better relationship and understanding. My offer was declined and instead this B.S. continues on the forums even now amongst a certain group of individuals and paying members. It really doesn't bother me what internet folks say or do, as it does not effect my personal life. If you want to talk crap about me or my style, that's fine. I'm not effected. I'm not intimidated. I'm not nervous or afraid or even angry. I'm not crying, or hiding, or blowing my lid just because of some internet gangsters and screen critics. I haven't moved or changed my address. I don't really care to argue over the web. I'm being genuine and sharing honest experiences and knowledge with those who will listen. I have nothing to say to my critics. I'm here to exchange knowledge, not cause a scene or get into a verbal showdown with a bunch of idiots. Sorry, but I'm not interested in your opinions of me. Contrary to your beliefs, REAL martial artists show up here all the time. You know who doesn't show up? Local members of this forum who run their mouths. So I'm honestly not really worried. Just sayin. I'm sorry if that offends you. Not really, just sorry for you. But it's not stopping me, so that's fine. Believe whatever you want. :)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions