What to do during a police encounter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been asked what should be done in a police encounter. I tell them that there are two guidelines to follow:

1. Be polite and comply immediately with the officer's directions.
2. If in doubt, see guideline #1.

The thing I saw more than any other was the person being arrested try to stop the arrest so they could 'explain'. They never seemed to grasp the idea that attempting to stop the arrest is resisting arrest, and no, the cop won't stop arresting you while you explain.

Best solution is to let it happen. You can explain just as well in handcuffs.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sue the city later for wrongful arrest. The side of a street is not a courtroom.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
    • You can be cuffed without being arrested. A common phrase at that point is "You're not under arrest; I'm just putting these on for your safety and mine."
My safety? So you can punch me more easily? I'd really be thinking "yeah right" if the cop said that.

My comment on being beaten more easily comes from the innumerable stories you read. Currently, in my city, an off-duty cop is on trial for beating a black teen with a rod and the teen eventually losing an eye. The teen called 911 before the beating and the cop grabbed the phone said it was an officer arresting a suspect, and the beating began.

Police chief denies 'cover-up' in beating of Whitby teen

"Falconer has said his client was on his way to a friend’s house when he walked by two men standing inside a garage near Thickson Rd. and William Stephenson Dr.

The human rights lawyer alleges one of the men identified himself as an officer and when Miller refused to answer his questions, he was chased down and beaten to “within an inch of his life” with a steel pipe.

The allegations have not been proven in court.

Miller’s nose, jaw and wrist were broken. He also needs to have an injured eye surgically removed."

Last edited:
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My safety? So you can punch me more easily? I'd really be thinking "yeah right" if the cop said that.

My comment on being beaten more easily comes from the innumerable stories you read. Currently, in my city, an off-duty cop is on trial for beating a black teen with a rod and the teen eventually losing an eye. The teen called 911 before the beating and the cop grabbed the phone said it was an officer arresting a suspect, and the beating began.

Police chief denies 'cover-up' in beating of Whitby teen

"Falconer has said his client was on his way to a friend’s house when he walked by two men standing inside a garage near Thickson Rd. and William Stephenson Dr.

The human rights lawyer alleges one of the men identified himself as an officer and when Miller refused to answer his questions, he was chased down and beaten to “within an inch of his life” with a steel pipe.

The allegations have not been proven in court.

Miller’s nose, jaw and wrist were broken. He also needs to have an injured eye surgically removed."
Thanks for reviving the thread; I didn't know a video link was broken.

With that out of the way -- you really felt a need to revive it to address a criminal act by a person who happens to have been employed as a LEO? How's it relate to the post or thread? The guy in your account is being prosecuted, is probably unemployed... and I still don't see how any of this relates to an on-duty encounter with a police officer.

It's covered pretty well upthread -- but a police officer may certainly place handcuffs on you without it amounting to a formal arrest. They have to be able to justify their actions, and it certainly greatly raises the level of detention -- but depending on the circumstances-- it's not an arrest. A common example occurs during execution of a search warrant. Often, anyone located is cuffed while identified and while the residence is cleared. There are others... None of that relates to an assault by someone who, when they are working, is a cop but ordinarily... they're off.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So was this the right or wrong way to handle a police encounter?

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Chris Rock video in first post is hilarious, he is funny.

How true though I mean even the part of the friend in the passenger seat LoL

Best never to drink and drive simply obey the road laws respect law enforcement officers that are there to protect and uphold the laws for our own benefit, yeah not always perfect in the crazy world we live in but they have a hard job so just cooperate when asked.

Simple really!

Be a good law abiding citizen be honest when things go wrong and normally everything works out fine!

We are all just people or subject to our human nature and they understand that its their job everyday all day long.

There is a glamour or prestige of being in the police force but I personally think after a few years it wears down thin and wears off on some officers depending on their experiences. Its hard dealing with people, thats why enlisting is even harder to get into the police force.

I have always liked the idea of being a motorcycle officer personally but without the drama, just not for me as a motorcycle rider myself.

But watch..............

Nice ha!

Last edited:

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
With that out of the way -- you really felt a need to revive it to address a criminal act by a person who happens to have been employed as a LEO? How's it relate to the post or thread? The guy in your account is being prosecuted, is probably unemployed... and I still don't see how any of this relates to an on-duty encounter with a police officer.

The topic is timeless. "Reviving" from 6 months ago isn't so bad IMO, when 1 of the stickies is 10 years old.

In terms of the "why"...I agree with everything that was posted about what to do and what not to do. It lowers the chance of a cop deciding to flex his muscle, almost literally.

I really do think though that with everything in the news, I would be wondering about my own safety when handcuffed. To me, "for you own safety" might be along the lines of "stop resisting" as the cop hits the suspect...there lots of those stories. Tell me if you can see the resisting at 1:00. This incident is also under review. Cops said they would spit in the face of the guy recording and give him AIDS...good lord. You have to do everything to lower the likelihood of a problem, but there are no guarantees.

Last edited:

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
What to do? Shut up and do whatever they tell you to do.....or if you're brave you could handle it the michael jai white way.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been handcuffed by the police in my private life. I got out of said handcuffs and put my hands back behind me in forty seconds. Then handed them the cuffs when they were about to take them off me. They were not in the least bit amused. But then, neither was I. Fortunately, everything worked out.

It's a really difficult occupation, being a cop. Seems to be getting more difficult with every passing year.
It's one of the few occupations where some folks will hate you for what you do for a living, regardless of how honest, helpful and hard working you are. Nobody hates the guy who runs the hardware store.

It hasn't been a field I advise people to go into in a long time. And I find that sad. Maybe it's a sign of the times, I dunno'.

But, hey, somebody has to do it. I mean, who you gonna' call?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been handcuffed by the police in my private life. I got out of said handcuffs and put my hands back behind me in forty seconds. Then handed them the cuffs when they were about to take them off me. They were not in the least bit amused. But then, neither was I. Fortunately, everything worked out.

It's a really difficult occupation, being a cop. Seems to be getting more difficult with every passing year.
It's one of the few occupations where some folks will hate you for what you do for a living, regardless of how honest, helpful and hard working you are. Nobody hates the guy who runs the hardware store.

It hasn't been a field I advise people to go into in a long time. And I find that sad. Maybe it's a sign of the times, I dunno'.

But, hey, somebody has to do it. I mean, who you gonna' call?

Yeah but all of those jobs are not really ones you advise people do.

Like my advice when people ask

how do you become a bouncer?

Fail at everything else in life.

OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So was this the right or wrong way to handle a police encounter?

Well, nobody got hurt. The drunk was no longer driving. It's certainly not how the investigation would have been conducted here in the US. But it clearly wasn't in the US -- so no wonder it was different.

But what was your point in posting this? Seriously. What did you feel this post would contribute to the discussion?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, nobody got hurt. The drunk was no longer driving. It's certainly not how the investigation would have been conducted here in the US. But it clearly wasn't in the US -- so no wonder it was different.

But what was your point in posting this? Seriously. What did you feel this post would contribute to the discussion?

I thought it would be funny on the surface while highlighting some of the silly things people will attempt while being arrested.

Yes Australian police have a lot more tolerance for idiots. Which although more time consuming and personally more irritating. Is ultimately more effective.

And we tend to put two cops in a car.

So it was a layered contribution. Like an ogre.

If you want we can go back to police beating up black people. I mean that is a fun topic as well.

Last edited:
OP
J

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really do think though that with everything in the news, I would be wondering about my own safety when handcuffed. To me, "for you own safety" might be along the lines of "stop resisting" as the cop hits the suspect...there lots of those stories. Tell me if you can see the resisting at 1:00. This incident is also under review. Cops said they would spit in the face of the guy recording and give him AIDS...good lord. You have to do everything to lower the likelihood of a problem, but there are no guarantees.

Being handcuffed "for ... safety" is usually the result of someone who is failing to follow directions and failing to cooperate but succeeding in being a notable jerk. In some cases, it's merely procedural -- like being detained while identity is confirmed for a warrant or during a search warrant execution. But, more often than not, it's because the person is behaving in a way that, if the officer lets them continue, stands a good chance of ending with someone getting hurt.

Why do cops hit someone and say "stop resisting"? Well, a lot of that is visuals. Perceptions. Letting people around them know that the cop is working, not simply thumping someone. It's also an implicit deal -- the cops will stop using force if the subject stops resisting. (Doing something along those lines might be useful for the general person defending themselves, too...)

I'm not going to sit here and review particular incidents. There are too many variables and it's just not what I want to do. The thread was written as a general bit of advice, not a place to armchair quarterback.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cops said they would spit in the face of the guy recording and give him AIDS...good lord.
Sounds like The officer says "He's (as in the suspect) going to spit in your face" Not the Officer saying "I'm going to"

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be funny on the surface while highlighting some of the silly things people will attempt while being arrested.

Yes Australian police have a lot more tolerance for idiots. Which although more time consuming and personally more irritating. Is ultimately more effective.

And we tend to put two cops in a car.

So it was a layered contribution. Like an ogre.

If you want we can go back to police beating up black people. I mean that is a fun topic as well.
You know what else has layers?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think his point was that the subject did everything wrong. Cops seemed to do a lot of very right stuff.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here watch this idiot for a lack of a better word!

20 heart racing minutes a motorcycle police officer keeping his kool and true to his training in a very dangerous situation I kid you not!

Look at the crap they have to go through, especially at the end poor guy who knows what could have happened not being able to see beyond the tall grass, the biker could have popped a gun shot, sad to say.

Oh boy I would be switching that camera off after that chase and give this guy a good talking to up close so here can hear it LoL

But the police officer did the right thing keeping the camera on and watching forward as he lifts his bike up again, at that point I would be panicking a fair bit.

Kool cop, so hats off..............the training pays off! ;)

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The topic is timeless. "Reviving" from 6 months ago isn't so bad IMO, when 1 of the stickies is 10 years old.

In terms of the "why"...I agree with everything that was posted about what to do and what not to do. It lowers the chance of a cop deciding to flex his muscle, almost literally.

The above incident does look questionable. But the video isn't very good either. So I think it is possible it isn't as bad as it looks. The resistance may be clasping his hands in front of him and refusing to allow his hands to be handcuffed behind him. Still, it could have been handled better. Normally when you have that many people against one, the person can be controlled with mild pain compliance from a grappling move, that doesn't even look bad.

Of course, I don't know the Canadian law either. In US law, the person recording the incident doesn't appear close enough to the incident to be a problem, and could not be lawfully required to retreat or stop recording. Yet it was done.

Even so, I don't consider this a good example of what to do when questioned by police, or how to handle the possibility of being handcuffed or arrested by the police. We don't know what happened before the video displayed by you started. That could lessen or change our perception of the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions