Rochester Police To Undergo Training After Retaliatory Incidents

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I swear I posted on the original case, but can't find the thread.
edit - Found it.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sh...zen-tickets-cop-for-illegal-parking-cop-fined.

===

[h=2]Rochester Police To Undergo Training After Retaliatory Incidents[/h]
The Rochester Police Chief acknowledged that his officers acted in a retaliatory fashion by issuing petty tickets to citizens supporting Emily Good, the woman who was arrested in May for videotaping a traffic stop from her front yard. Actually, he didn’t quite the use the word retaliatory. He called it “targeted enforcement activity,” which is cop talk for retaliatory.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I have spoken with friends back home in Rochester about this situation. Most agree that Emily Good is pretty much an attention whore and authority is a favorite target of hers. However, these friends also believe in keeping the good guys honest, and the decision by RPD to engage in retaliatory practice is sad and annyoing. I know a few cops back there and they're good guys. A difficult job with a sometimes difficult public to serve.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One note -- "targeted enforcement activity" is not automatically retaliation or persecution of a selected group. Just like profiling -- it's a tool that can be misused. Targeted enforcement activity can be things like strict enforcement of speed limits around a school at the start of a school year, or heavy enforcement and patrol around an open air drug market.

I'm not justifying the actions here -- but I won't let a good tool get thrown out with the trash, either.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
If they were ticketing people parked in no parking zones or for some other reasonable offense I would say "so what"? But pulling out rulers to ticket people parked more than 12" from the curb is just plain silly. Im thinking that this was a couple of coppers doing "their own thing" vs some supervisory mandate or department order.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Who parks that far away from the curb anyway! I know you have wide roads in America but still ...