what the sport gives back

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Prof Yang seems to do it on every kick (in the third video on combination kicking).

I think I'll try to increase my frequency of doing it (and the black belts at our school) as it's easier to turn it off than add it. Once it's flowing and normal we can switch back.

To be honest, none of our guys are interested in competing, so this is more of a just "staying current" think.

Thanks though.
The things that draw a kick or trick someone into complacency in sparring can work in self defense scenario's also.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I had to choose, I would rather have the punch land 1/10 of a second before the block. Also, we try as much as possible to go deep and catch the kicking leg above the knee. We don't want to take the full force kick on the forearm, too many broken arms result from that. I know you know this, but blocking really is secondary in Taekwondo to avoidance through distance control and footwork. If you are blocking, then often times it is an indication that something went wrong.

Yes I agree, you need to get above the knee so the kick won't hinder your cover punch.
icon10.gif

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes I agree, you need to get above the knee so the kick won't hinder your cover punch.
icon10.gif

That and also we try to cover above the knee to neutralize the power and force of the kick. Blocking the shin or the ankle can often times result in a broken forearm.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is not too easy to slide that far up on the kick,I teach a modified version that has you sliding off the line of attack slightly moving with the kick. i suppose with the la just system it doesn't matter but it used to be if you covered too far forward their foot would wrap around scoring to your back.
I was taught originally to slam the inner thigh while sliding in and just keep on going hoping to knock the other player over.
Later we started cover punch to bada chagi when the back became a target. Another variation would be cover punch to inside crescent,or inside axe more of a lower belt tech than bb.though.
I don't encourage my bb's to use cover /punch that much as they need to be moving or closing instead.Again better coaches would have different advice.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't encourage my bb's to use cover /punch that much as they need to be moving or closing instead.Again better coaches would have different advice.

It is better to use movement to avoid kicks, but once in a while against an aggressive player it is ok. Also, I notice cover punch coming out when people get tired and your legs don't move.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would like to add to the pot here that the sport has given us some dedicated training ideas from competition trainers and coaches that probably would not exist if it were not for sport. One example would be compass drills. anyone care to add a drill that is directly from competition.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would like to add to the pot here that the sport has given us some dedicated training ideas from competition trainers and coaches that probably would not exist if it were not for sport. One example would be compass drills. anyone care to add a drill that is directly from competition.

What is a compass drill?

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What is a compass drill?
Some call it a clock drill,you have someone stand in center with a hogu on or paddle and a kicking line forms, the first pass is attack and slide or step to due north.Next pass slides or steps east..........
The clock works the same way except you step or slide to each hour after the attack.
Each drill works the right and left, you can add a second attack after sliding/stepping off line.
This is an old drill from the OTC back in the day,but still works for teaching inexperienced fighters today.

Latest Discussions