what the sport gives back

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But you see the sport side of TKD has really influence all of that, ego's who should be in charge of anything. If it was truely like some have said Unification of TKD this would not be an issue. Yet it is in all accounts, the Olympics have made it this way for TKD plain and simple. Whether you agree or not it will not change my opinion on this matter.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you see the sport side of TKD has really influence all of that, ego's who should be in charge of anything. If it was truely like some have said Unification of TKD this would not be an issue. Yet it is in all accounts, the Olympics have made it this way for TKD plain and simple. Whether you agree or not it will not change my opinion on this matter.

"sport" side is not the determining issue, because like I said, other arts which are non "sport" focused still have politics. politics is everywhere, whether it is "sport" or not. If anything, there "sport" was the thing that made Taekwondo come together, and made LESS politics, not more, because there would be less reason for people to stay united, because there is no Olympics. And I am not trying to change your mind, since obviously you are going to believe what you believe no matter what evidence or facts are placed in front of you. But what is coming out is that one side of the discussion is relying upon facts and concrete examples as the basis of their position, while the other stubbornly clings to their strongly held beliefs without facts to support their position.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
IHas anyone ever taught this tech. as anything but sport related? Something similar would be closing in to cut the power from a punch or kick, but that is not as specific as the cover punch.

Wing Chun has the concept of closing in while blocking and striking simultaneously. You can see Bruce Lee do it in his movies. I want to say in his fight with Chuck Norris.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sport has given the one thing that is consistently needed to be successful in sport but is not consistently seen MA studios. And that is constant repetitive training in a smaller set of techniques with an empirical means of determining success or failure of those techniques.

Athletes, as a general rule, train hard and train consistently. Winning athletes (those with more wins than losses) are usually training harder than those who are not winning athletes. And they're usually training smarter.

Sport forces the athlete to execute the skills he or she trains in in a random environment against a resisting opponent who is actively trying to beat you, not simply be your training partner.

For that alone, sport is worthwhile, regardless of what direct relation it may or may not have to SD. One thing about self defense is that it is more than just a skill set. If you are in better condition, you are also better equipped to use your skills and are more likely to survive a violent encounter. Not to mention that being in better condition makes you a less appealing target.

Daniel

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will just add this to the mix, some have said there is no difference betwwen sport TKD and KKW TKD but yet they say the sport has done nothing or added this to TKD. In that itself people say it is a difference between the two, so which is it together and the same or differenent like some of us believe?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I will just add this to the mix, some have said there is no difference betwwen sport TKD and KKW TKD but yet they say the sport has done nothing or added this to TKD. In that itself people say it is a difference between the two, so which is it together and the same or differenent like some of us believe?
I suppose that it depends on your perspective. There is a sport/competition section of the KKW textbook, so sport certainly is 'part' of what the KKW teaches. I do see it as different from the rest of what is in that same textbook. Not different good or diferent bad; just different.

I think that the separation of sport to being regulated by a separate organization (the WTF), further complicates things.

Now, I do think that the sport should be bracketed differently than it is and that performance in sport really is unrelated to belt level.

The idea of having a sportive aspect of KKW taekwondo is perfectly fine. But at this point, I'd say that the sport has become its own separate entity.

Daniel

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The KKW will reduce the waiting period for dan promotion for those that win gold at certain tournaments, Olympics and worlds I believe. This in itself should tell you that they value the athlete who wins gold as one who deserves higher rank than one who does not compete.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I suppose that it depends on your perspective. There is a sport/competition section of the KKW textbook, so sport certainly is 'part' of what the KKW teaches. I do see it as different from the rest of what is in that same textbook. Not different good or diferent bad; just different.

I think that the separation of sport to being regulated by a separate organization (the WTF), further complicates things.

Now, I do think that the sport should be bracketed differently than it is and that performance in sport really is unrelated to belt level.

The idea of having a sportive aspect of KKW taekwondo is perfectly fine. But at this point, I'd say that the sport has become its own separate entity.

Daniel

In the 2006 version here are few sections related to sport,chapter 3 section 2 is titled-Taekwondo and Sports Dynamics, chapter 9 -Competition Rules, chapter 10-Training of Taekwondo Players

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, competitors at WTF International Events are required to possess Kukkiwon dan certification, as are the WTF International Referees.

And as I stated previously, the kicking and competition portion of the Kukkiwon Instructor Course that I attended in Korea was taught by Coach KIM Se Hyuk (multi time Olympic Coach for the Korean National Team), as well as the other coaches from the Samsung S1 Taekwondo Team, including at least one Olympic gold medalist.

To say that there is a separation between the Kukkiwon and "sport" Taekwondo is simply not shown by the facts.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
that performance in sport really is unrelated to belt level.

The original reason the dan system was created in the first place is to allow competitors of similar skill level to compete against one another. The older japanese martial arts didn't have dan ranking. They did have instructor qualification scrolls, but that was a different thing. Dan rank is a competition or "sport" driven concept. It's tennis levels, 2.0, 2.5, etc. the rankings in tennis are so similarly matched players can compete against one another. And in tennis you can go down in level, if your performance drops. Gymnastics has the same sort of ranking via levels.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My dan tests were composed of many sections all worth ten points,if you were a national competitor you recieved an automatic 10,otherwise you sparred at testing and were scored there.
Too bad the KKW has such a small gym it would be ideal to see tournaments there.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was talking with someone today who felt that competing was constant goal setting,giving them a reason to train hard.Without the goal it was more difficult to maintain regular workouts.Just another plus for competing:)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The original reason the dan system was created in the first place is to allow competitors of similar skill level to compete against one another. The older japanese martial arts didn't have dan ranking. They did have instructor qualification scrolls, but that was a different thing. Dan rank is a competition or "sport" driven concept. It's tennis levels, 2.0, 2.5, etc. the rankings in tennis are so similarly matched players can compete against one another. And in tennis you can go down in level, if your performance drops. Gymnastics has the same sort of ranking via levels.
Fencing has levels as well. But with taekwondo, you cannot go down a level. The problem is that grade in taekwondo is not based on one's performance in the ring, while one's ranking in tennis and fencing are.

Daniel

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fencing has levels as well. But with taekwondo, you cannot go down a level. The problem is that grade in taekwondo is not based on one's performance in the ring, while one's ranking in tennis and fencing are.

Daniel
In some ways it does,see post 27.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The KKW will reduce the waiting period for dan promotion for those that win gold at certain tournaments, Olympics and worlds I believe. This in itself should tell you that they value the athlete who wins gold as one who deserves higher rank than one who does not compete.

This is true but remember once you recieve the ranking you can never go back down like Daniel is saying in fencing and tennis. This is one of those things that kill me to compete in Worlds do not not all ready need to be a BB, so winning is not going to do anything? Maybe I am wrong but I thought it was this way.

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am thinking of rank like 3rd to 4th etc as for time reduction.It does not matter once you are bb whether you are 1st or 5th you will be in the same sparring division.
Not related to KKW but many US schools will offer rank to students who win gold at team trials.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting.

Daniel

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah its just extending ones kick by sliding or hopping forward with the trailing leg or foot.Nothing new but I have never seen anyone training that way except through sport specific classes.

Thanks for that. It's the style of kicking demonstrated in Professor Yang Jin Bang's videos then. That's fine, it's something we sometimes do but not on every kick. Maybe we should?...

OP
L

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for that. It's the style of kicking demonstrated in Professor Yang Jin Bang's videos then. That's fine, it's something we sometimes do but not on every kick. Maybe we should?...
I think iit is good to do a rep or two of follow foot after doing reps of regular kicking. Ten rear leg rnd kicks on each leg followed by five on each leg using follow foot.
You would not want to spar using that method with every kick, it is like a set up,throwing a few kicks, when your opponent starts feeling comfortable sliding out of the way,bam!you reach a little further. It s like matching their speed or foot work then changing suddenly at the end of the round scoring the last point.
This just my take other coaches,better coaches may have other ways of using this tech.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think iit is good to do a rep or two of follow foot after doing reps of regular kicking. Ten rear leg rnd kicks on each leg followed by five on each leg using follow foot.
You would not want to spar using that method with every kick, it is like a set up,throwing a few kicks, when your opponent starts feeling comfortable sliding out of the way,bam!you reach a little further. It s like matching their speed or foot work then changing suddenly at the end of the round scoring the last point.
This just my take other coaches,better coaches may have other ways of using this tech.

Thanks for the tip. Prof Yang seems to do it on every kick (in the third video on combination kicking).

I think I'll try to increase my frequency of doing it (and the black belts at our school) as it's easier to turn it off than add it. Once it's flowing and normal we can switch back.

To be honest, none of our guys are interested in competing, so this is more of a just "staying current" think.

Thanks though.

Latest Discussions