What Religion??

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
Christianity is not about "religion", it's about relationship.

In much the same way...

Islam is not about "religion", it's about submission. Buddhism is not about "religion", it's about enlightenment. Taoism is not about "religion", it's about harmony. Vedanta is not about "religion", it's about self-realization.

Any religion can switch the word "religion" with its own terminology and rhetoric. That doesn't change the fact it's still a religion.

Laterz.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
In much the same way...

Islam is not about "religion", it's about submission. Buddhism is not about "religion", it's about enlightenment. Taoism is not about "religion", it's about harmony. Vedanta is not about "religion", it's about self-realization.

Any religion can switch the word "religion" with its own terminology and rhetoric. That doesn't change the fact it's still a religion.

Laterz.

I can understand where you are coming from with your perspective.

If I may, why the "fish" with "buddha" in the middle?

Thanks.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
If I may, why the "fish" with "buddha" in the middle?

Because I personally found it irreverant and hilarious. :boing2:

Additionally, I have an affinity for certain strands of Mahayana Buddhism and often correlate them with mystical treatises within Christianity.

Laterz.

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was born into a Christian family (protestant father, catholic mother) but as I reached my teens I never had much faith in it. I would say I was pretty agnostic in my teens all they way till like a year or two ago when I started reading and studying religion. My parents went bonkers about me not being "saved" if I don't accept Jesus. But I just could accept Jesus beyond what he seemed to me, a wise teacher that may have achieved moksha or nirvana. I truly respect Jesus a lot and tend to have a more Gnostic view of Jesus.

Anyways after studying many of the other great faiths Christianity started to decline even more in my belief. Christianity doesn't seem anything more than mythology, perhaps a more advanced version of Odinism and Zeusism. This is NOT to say I don't believe many of the Bible events happened, but like the Iliad and many other great books, these are mere retellings with more of a supernatural twist. And of course I do still believe the Bible teaches many valid morality but I do not think that it by any means is anywhere near what God is all about. The Old Testament description of an angry God that literally "spreads dung upon people's faces" does not seem to maybe as the real God. The description is just too primitive; I can create a much more detailed better deity than Yahweh ;).

I am still searching for the truth according to how I can interrupt it but so far I have to say Hinduism has caught my attention than most. The religion seems to be very misunderstood by most people, especially westerners. It really isn't just another polytheistic religion. In fact Hinduism maybe the most complex religion in the world although many people do not know much about it. I reject the rituals and any sort of superstition this family of religions (Hinduism) may teach, but I do believe in the Brahman or ultimate reality as the true God. In my opinion it is just to primitive to put deity like qualities to the supreme "being". We can never know God for sure and Hinduism teaches that in order to really know God you must learn about the universe.

I hold science more than anything else as the true nature of God, so in a sense I am pantheistic. I do however believe in many metaphysical and cosmological views of Hinduism such as the ghost universe paradox. The Rig Veda is filled with many astronomical philosophies cosmologists use today to describe to universe. The cyclical universe theory for example is not a modern scientific theory, the theory is actually a fundamental concept in Hinduism (and now Buddhism as well).

Yoga also seems to be a more ideal way to reach God besides science. I do not believe much in prayer or anything superstitious that cannot really be proven. Prayer works for some but for others it does not work.

I also do have a lot of respect for Buddhism, Taoism, Sikhism, Gnosticism and Sufism ;).

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
I put all of my faith in Jesus.

Christianity is not about "religion", it's about relationship.

This relationship has helped all areas of my life - from family, to marriage, to kenpo, to education, and so on.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

I respect that. Although I'm an agnostic (raised Christian Fundamentalist), I have nothing against Christianity - only those who use it OR other faiths as a weapon against their fellow man. Those who use it as an inspiration and guide have my respect - and protection (politically as in activism against religious intolerance or physically if it really came down to it).

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
I know there is going to be some debate about this topic. some people wont answer this question, and thats fine. Its a simple question really. War is not needed.

I am a practicing Shinto.
link to Shrine
I am a Satanist. If you want clarification of this, I recomend reading the Satanic bible by Anton LaVey. You can also visit the church of satan website, then check out the theory~practice section, that will cover the basics of my religion.
I know what you must be thinking but guess what, satanists dont worship the devil. We dont even belive in the devil. We dont harm children or animals either. These are the main misconseptions of this religion.
Some of the reasons why this religion holds the name Satanism is for shock value, and to keep close minded people away. The down side to this name is that it can attract some real morons who are just involved to stir up trouble and be a rebel. These types normally have no clue, or desire to study this religion to find out what its really about. They misrepresent it, and give it a bad name.
These people sacrifice animals, hurt children, and many other horrible acts that a true Satanist would never have any part of.
Here are some great links for those who wish to learn more. One of the main things about Satanism is that it demands study not worship, so if your interested here you go.....

This is a great web site with LOADS of Satanic information www.dpjs.co.uk/

This web site has some great essays by some of the higher up people in the church http://web.satanism101.com/

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
In other words, it's basically secular humanism with some rather shallow and sporadic usage of Jungian shadow psychology.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
In other words, it's basically secular humanism with some rather shallow and sporadic usage of Jungian shadow psychology.
I guess you could find some similarities there. However, I dont find Satanism to be shallow in any way. It is a very down to earth, honest religion that fits ME perfectly.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I guess you could find some similarities there. However, I dont find Satanism to be shallow in any way. It is a very down to earth, honest religion that fits ME perfectly.

I didn't say Satanism itself was shallow.

I said the way Satanism employs Jungian psychology is shallow and sporadic. The way they present the 'Other' archetype demonstrates a considerable lack of proper context in understanding.

Laterz.

T

TheBattousai

Southern Baptist, but much more liberal than most. I believe that there are many more paths to God than one (i.e. buddhism, other religons that I won't mention because I'll misspell them). Its a matter of what works for that person.

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a Muslim, a follower of Islam. However the Indonesian brand of Islam that I adhere to is very different with the ones practiced by Osama bin Laden, Khomeini and Ahmadinejad. In Indonesia we accepts cultural pluralism as something we should embrace, and we do not see non-Muslims as enemies.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jujutsu_indonesia said:
However the Indonesian brand of Islam that I adhere to is very different with the ones practiced by Osama bin Laden, Khomeini and Ahmadinejad. In Indonesia we accepts cultural pluralism as something we should embrace, and we do not see non-Muslims as enemies.
jujutsu_indonesia, As sala'amu alaikum. I find the uneducated generalization of Islam as anything other than peaceful to be disgusting at the least. The men mentioned above (IMO) are not true Muslims. I am sorry you felt you had to differentiate yourself from them. Anyone who would have lumped you together with the bin Laden's of the world is simply a fool. Peace to you!

Respects,

Frank

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you would call me.

I started out Episcopalian and devoured everything I could read on biblical history. (was the top of my Sunday school class for a while, got an autographed prayer book from the bishop. He looked like Jonathan Winters. Was a cool guy)

The church thing got "old" when I hit the rebellious teens. I spent some time agnostic, then atheist, then found Anton Lavey's Satanic Bible. It made sense to me, though some parts were a little 'weird'. What do you expect though from a guy who enjoyed the 'shock'. :) I wandered a bit, was "Born Again" for a bit, but walked away from that due to there being too many "rules" being imposed by those I was associating with. (Long, ugly story. Lets just say conservative, nit picky and hypocritical were they ways). I went back to agnotstism, then started looking at various "new age" systems, primarily Wicca. I also began studying Taoism, and Egyptology. I've expanded into the Norse, Roman and Greek pantheons over time, dabbled a bit with Zeb Buddhism, and most recently begun exploring Hinduism. If I had to get specific, my house gods are Isis, Aphrodite, Anubis, Horus and Shiva.

The best way to sum up my system is, I believe there is something out there that we don't understand. A unifying and underlining force which we are all part of. It takes many forms, has many faces, and many paths for us to explore. I don't believe any 1 path is more right than any other, just more right for the individual. I believe in balance, so karma is real, and reincarnation may be possible. I believe this universal force is accessible to those who work to hear it, and is the base root for what we call "ki/chi". I believe all people are created equal, but become unequal through action, inaction and choices.

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
The best way to sum up my system is, I believe there is something out there that we don't understand. A unifying and underlining force which we are all part of. It takes many forms, has many faces, and many paths for us to explore. I don't believe any 1 path is more right than any other, just more right for the individual. I believe in balance, so karma is real, and reincarnation may be possible. I believe this universal force is accessible to those who work to hear it, and is the base root for what we call "ki/chi". I believe all people are created equal, but become unequal through action, inaction and choices.

That's very well said, Bob. This sums me up fairly well.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have any of you put a real effort into learning what Anton LaVeys philosophy is all about? If so, what do you like/dislike about it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Have any of you put a real effort into learning what Anton LaVeys philosophy is all about? If so, what do you like/dislike about it.
Some. It's been a while, so much of what I read is hazy. I liked the focus on personal responsibility and respect for life, but I disliked the "carnyness" that seemed to surround it. Some of his other works struck me as "out there". Again, hazy memories from over 15 years ago. Been meaning to reread a bit, but seem to never have enough time in the day.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Roman Catholic.

There is some Native American blood in my family so some cousins follow the old way.