Which kind of kenpo?

• Tracy Kenpo

• Parker Kenpo

• Shaolin Kenpo

• Chinese Kempo

• Shorinji Kempo

• Kajukenbo

• SL4

• something else (please elaborate below)

Results are only viewable after voting.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I picked the something else option since "Parker's Kenpo" has gotten to be a pretty broad term. After having some boxing/Muay Thai training, and several American Kenpo associations etc... I have found my home with Mr. Mills and the AKKI.

[email protected]

White Belt
Reaction score
the person you refer to is his little brother Larry. I was a kid in the eighty's. Ive participated in three internationals. I place 2nd once in the under 12yr. I left to join the Marines. Now I go to school to be a physicist. I think Master Edwardson is in Texas some where.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
First: American Kenpo (I differentiate this from EPAK as many feel the curriculums are different even though developed by SGM Parker)

Now studying Chinese Kenpo.

~Dragon~

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I joined this forum just so I can post this. Maybe I could shed some light on Master Randy. Randy was a long shoreman of the shore of Long Beach. Worked very long and hard hours and at first seemed very dedcated to his art. In his off time he liked to watch WWF and Martial arts Videos in his back room of the Dojo. I was a student of his when his Dojo was still in a garage in Long Beach around 1986 - 1988. Some other students of his were, Terry Quick & Mark McFadden. Terry was the one whom was responcible for my joining his team. I remember Randy's dedication to the Parker system was much higher in respect and in comparason to the Tracy system, something Randy was feeling out at the time which could explain the Tracy system markings on little Jr belt and the fact that Randy used Strips for his own students. However I do not recognize Jr at all. I did go back to find the Dojo again many years latter 1995 i think, and some other guy I think it was Mounce at moved the whole thing to cherry street in Long Beach and Randy had just simply drpped off the face of the planet. The romour at the time was Randy had to move out of state due to some legal issues, I dunno kinda foggy in my head. One thing I do remember though is I worked very hard to acheive something I never got with Randy. When others were moveing up the Ranks faster than I was givien the same dedication I gracfully bowed out. I wouldn't be suprised if Randy was into something to deep for even him to get out of.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I joined this forum just so I can post this. Maybe I could shed some light on Master Randy. Randy was a long shoreman of the shore of Long Beach. Worked very long and hard hours and at first seemed very dedcated to his art. In his off time he liked to watch WWF and Martial arts Videos in his back room of the Dojo. I was a student of his when his Dojo was still in a garage in Long Beach around 1986 - 1988. Some other students of his were, Terry Quick & Mark McFadden. Terry was the one whom was responcible for my joining his team. I remember Randy's dedication to the Parker system was much higher in respect and in comparason to the Tracy system, something Randy was feeling out at the time which could explain the Tracy system markings on little Jr belt and the fact that Randy used Strips for his own students. However I do not recognize Jr at all. I did go back to find the Dojo again many years latter 1995 i think, and some other guy I think it was Mounce at moved the whole thing to cherry street in Long Beach and Randy had just simply drpped off the face of the planet. The romour at the time was Randy had to move out of state due to some legal issues, I dunno kinda foggy in my head. One thing I do remember though is I worked very hard to acheive something I never got with Randy. When others were moveing up the Ranks faster than I was givien the same dedication I gracfully bowed out. I wouldn't be suprised if Randy was into something to deep for even him to get out of.

So you don't like the guy because he didn't promote you fast enough?

~Dragon~

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe? I didn't mind the work outs and the oportunity to learn was good. However, I guess there was always something dark about Randy, but I could never put a finger on it. Of course that was from my perspective and not others. It kinda started when he was tring to force me into tornaments, which I made it very clear to him up front that I will do one tournament for the experiance. then after the tournamnet he didn't seem to want to work with me anymore. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of rumors flying around about Randy and don't know if there true or not however, From my perspective, he seemed to play favorites within his students know matter how hard they worked it.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Danjo,
I was a student of the guy, and I saw the types of things Dragon spoke of. If Randy didnt like you, you didnt get promoted. Regardless of skill. If you didnt compete in the local tourny's, you didnt get promoted either.

Heck, I left the school when I found out that while I was out to sea on a deployment, he had given my girlfriend, also a student at his school a HIGHLY inappropriate gift. Like, lingerie inappropriate.

Dragon,
I know exactly what you are talking about. There was something dark, and not quite....right about Master Randy. He was a good Kenpoist, and I learned a lot from the guy, but after he hooked up with Olohe, he changed. He wasnt a bad guy, but he wasnt an honest man either.

I do hope he is doing well and finding some peace with himself.

Doc,
wanna talk about bad luck in Kenpo?
When I left Master Randy, I ended up with Steve Spry.........................

It's a miracle I stayed with kenpo at all.....

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Danjo,
I was a student of the guy, and I saw the types of things Dragon spoke of. If Randy didnt like you, you didnt get promoted. Regardless of skill. If you didnt compete in the local tourny's, you didnt get promoted either.

Heck, I left the school when I found out that while I was out to sea on a deployment, he had given my girlfriend, also a student at his school a HIGHLY inappropriate gift. Like, lingerie inappropriate.

Dragon,
I know exactly what you are talking about. There was something dark, and not quite....right about Master Randy. He was a good Kenpoist, and I learned a lot from the guy, but after he hooked up with Olohe, he changed. He wasnt a bad guy, but he wasnt an honest man either.

Doc,

Not to defend master Randy but why promote a person you don't like?
Sean

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Danjo,

Dragon,

Doc,

Well, I have no doubt that what you're saying is true regarding this person and his character. In general, however, promotions are funny things. THey are judgement calls for the most part by the instructor etc. Some DO require tournement participation for promotion. Judo, for instance has points accumulated during tournements as part of it's promotion requirements etc. Not that that's my cup of tea, per se, but there's no governing body to determine when someone has earned a promotion. It just semed like an odd area to critique this guy on, and it made "Dragon" sound petty. I always fell that a student that gets promoted before he thinks he's ready is better than one that thinks he should have been promoted before the instructor does.

Anyways, was the lingerie martial arts related? (Just Kidding) ;)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I always fell that a student that gets promoted before he thinks he's ready is better than one that thinks he should have been promoted before the instructor does.

oooh, I like that. Mind if I print that out and put it up in my dojo?

rainlord

White Belt
Reaction score
I studyied under randy edwardson in long beach...in the picture in front of him is larry edwardson his brother and michal mounce was hgis cousin
yes he left owing money and ditching his students...he lives in texas hs a wife and 3 kids...does not practice the art antmore

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I studyied under randy edwardson in long beach...in the picture in front of him is larry edwardson his brother and michal mounce was hgis cousin
yes he left owing money and ditching his students...he lives in texas hs a wife and 3 kids...does not practice the art antmore

Just put of curiosity, who was his kenpo instructor? And what kenpo system did he receive his rankings in?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I for one would like to find him. Texas needs more Kenpo instructors.Not to mention Texas REALLY needs more kajukenbo instructors. The style would go over well down here, it fits the texas mindset. And I would love to get a chance to study it. Of all the arts i have learned about, Kaju is the one i would want to study now. But the nearest kaju teachers near me are over 3 hours away in Arlington.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I for one would like to find him. Texas needs more Kenpo instructors.Not to mention Texas REALLY needs more kajukenbo instructors. The style would go over well down here, it fits the texas mindset. And I would love to get a chance to study it. Of all the arts i have learned about, Kaju is the one i would want to study now. But the nearest kaju teachers near me are over 3 hours away in Arlington.

There's quite a few Kajukenbo teachers in Texas. Problem is the state is so geographically large.
There's probably more, but I know of schools in: Texarkana, Georgetown, San Antonio, Houston, Mission, Abilene, Fort Worth, Watauga, Plano, Arlington, Brownwood, Belton, and Mercedes.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Professor Bishop,
Yes, I have looked into all those locations, and sadly, none are closer than 3 hours drive time. I know James Cox from the local Tourny scene. And I know there are several schools with great ties to the original method (which is the one I am most interested in) in the D/FW metroplex.

There is one school in Shreveport that might work. I will let you know. As always, thank you for your guidance and advice.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I voted "other" because my instructor is technically an independent school. He learned from Jay T. Will, and would probably fall under Tracy, however, he has also trained with the late Ed Parker, as well as Huk Planas and Lee Wedlake.

I haven't actively trained for a few years, but am contemplating going back to finish my black belt. I stopped at brown belt (Ikkyu) because I was having serious knee pain, and thought I was going to need surgery. Orthotics fixed the problem, but by that time my schedule was so tight I kept finding reasons not to go back.

I may study ninjutsu instead, or perhaps after, but whatever I do, a part of my will always be a Kenpo stylist.

Latest Discussions